You ever get people who tell you not to use sign language?

jasin

Reaction score
I get people all the time who tell me not to use sign language. I pisses me off :mad::mad2: soooo much!!

not here. I love using sign language and I dont care if some people stare at us as we sign

Wow, I'm surprised. :eek3: who were the "people" that told you not to?

One girl told me, but you have a normal voice .. use your voice. I was like, you are insulting me, you obviously dont respect me or deaf culture.

i dont know how to sign yet, so its never happend to me.

I hate it when people want to shut off the closed captioning on the tv. like I turned it on just to annoy people.

One girl told me, but you have a normal voice .. use your voice. I was like, you are insulting me, you obviously dont respect me or deaf culture.

I have a normal voice, despite I am deaf myself, and I sign as well. If I were you, they can be ingored, it's their loss..... and they should be ashamed.

i dont know how to sign yet, so its never happend to me.

I hate it when people want to shut off the closed captioning on the tv. like I turned it on just to annoy people.

Same here.

My father was visiting one time and he turned off the close captioning on my television set as it "bothered him". He set the remote between us and I picked it up and hit the "MUTE" button.

"What did you do that FOR? I'm missing out what's being said!"

I looked at him, smiled and said, "My point."

The captions came back on......

Same here.

My father was visiting one time and he turned off the close captioning on my television set as it "bothered him". He set the remote between us and I picked it up and hit the "MUTE" button.

:laugh2:

I'm going to conduct an expierment and use no voice or natural gestures at the college for 1week. Oh and when they speak to me i'm not going to read their lips. What do you all think will happen? I'm going to introduce these jerks to my world. Maybe they'll get a little taste of what it's like to live my life.

Oh Lord! Anyone who tell me not to use signs in public or at home I would say "screw you!" No one have the right to tell me what to do if I wanted to use asl. If they don't like me to use sign, I just tell them "shove it!" Every deaf and hoh have a right to use asl no matter what other people say. The NAD reaffirmed its stance that acquisition of language from birth is a human right for every person, and that deaf infants and children should be given the opportunity to acquire and develop proficiency in ASL as early as possible. ASL is recognized as the sign language of the American deaf community. NAD can help deaf and hoh with their rights to sign.

Oh Lord! Anyone who tell me not to use signs in public or at home I would say "screw you!" No one have the right to tell me what to do if I wanted to use asl. If they don't like me to use sign, I just tell them "shove it!" Every deaf and hoh have a right to use asl no matter what other people say. The NAD reaffirmed its stance that acquisition of language from birth is a human right for every person, and that deaf infants and children should be given the opportunity to acquire and develop proficiency in ASL as early as possible. ASL is recognized as the sign language of the American deaf community. NAD can help deaf and hoh with their rights to sign.

WOW! YOU have given me some new insight on this. Yeah, next time i'll just tell them "screw you". I am with you on this!!

I get people all the time who tell me not to use sign language. I pisses me off :mad::mad2: soooo much!!

Not all the time, but yes.

I am hearing. I used to be able to speak Spanish well, but thru lack of use am at about a 5th grade level now. Used to sign pretty good but again lack of use has made it where I can get by with mutual cooperation.

I have been told not to sign and not to use Spanish -- Because I don't have too.

Of course I don't have too. I do it because I want too; because I want to practice and become proficient; because if the people who speak these as their native languages will talk with me I can.

It does not so much make me angry as it tells me these are people I do not want to associate with.

Of course I don't have too. I do it because I want too; because I want to practice and become proficient; because if the people who speak these as their native languages will talk with me I can.

You know what? I can give you an example. My friend, she's hearing, (She has moved interstate unfortunately), she signs whenever she wants, even there was no deaf people around, I was pretty impressed that she has gotten the sign language into a good habit for her practising. Not one person, didn't tell her to stop. They were fantasticed.

You know what? I can give you an example. My friend, she's hearing, (She has moved interstate unfortunately), she signs whenever she wants, even there was no deaf people around, I was pretty impressed that she has gotten the sign language into a good habit for her practising. Not one person, didn't tell her to stop. They were fantasticed.

Count me as fascinated too!

Count me as fascinated too!

Yeah, people get fascinated as they are new to them. What's the point to tell them off to stop using that language even the person's deaf? They should be ashamed. Or send them to sign language class to learn a lesson or two of punishment.

Same here.

my brother does that
inconsiderate douchebag

My best friend's mom told that to my friend and I at dinner table one time. She said it was rude cuz none of the others could understand what she, her deaf brother and I were saying. Can u believe that? The 3 of us couldnt understand what everyone else was saying cuz they were just chatting away and not making sure we were able to follow what they were saying. I was furious...furious and wanted to walk out ..dont remember why I didnt.

Back