You ever get people who tell you not to use sign language?

Jasin, I cannot help but notice that you only have to share negative experiences & contribute negatively towards the Deaf community.

This is called "apathy" & only you can do something about this.

Others aren't able to assist you.

Apathy is what causes "The Crab Theory", when one negative Deaf person isn't able to accomplish or achieve the same positive result{s} that they want when they see other Deaf peers have, they will sabotage/pull down their Deaf peers just to have that "positivity".

This causes the chain reaction of apathy in the Deaf community.

Once again, jasin, only YOU can do something about your reaction towards another person's response towards you.

Everyone works and sticks together as a community.

Not really, HOH and Deaf treat each other seperatly. I've only noticed some of it on this site which is why I'm still here, but everywhere I've gone, I have seen deaf and hoh isolated to their own groups.

Not really, HOH and Deaf treat each other seperatly. I've only noticed some of it on this site which is why I'm still here, but everywhere I've gone, I have seen deaf and hoh isolated to their own groups.

Really? Where I live, they are not in separate groups. I guess each region is different.

Not really here either. Maybe long ago?

I'm DeafBlind and I most certainly don't hang out with my own "DeafBlind" clique.

I don't isolate myself to a group, I enjoy the diversity and the uniqueness of each groups therefore we are able to learn from each other.

Please do not make assumptions based on an action of a person or two and lump the whole group as a whole.

huh.... I've been to some big DPHH around here in NJ and NYC... and I haven't seen such thing. CI/Deaf/HOH/Terp/Hearing/Newbie(ASL newcomer like me) were happily ASL'ing with each other with no hint of isolation. I guess YMMV :dunno:

My deaf group is a mix too. Like what Bucket said - I do not stick with clique group. I do not have a clique group either. I have several different groups for different purpose and within those groups - it's always a mix of different background but has same common interest. Diversity and Uniqueness are the most exciting & beautiful traits in life for me. :cool2:

I have several different groups for different purpose and within those groups - it's always a mix of different background but has same common interest. Diversity and Uniqueness are the most exciting & beautiful traits in life for me. :cool2:

You rock!! :ily:

Jasin, I cannot help but notice that you only have to share negative experiences & contribute negatively towards the Deaf community.

This is called "apathy" & only you can do something about this.

Others aren't able to assist you.

Apathy is what causes "The Crab Theory", when one negative Deaf person isn't able to accomplish or achieve the same positive result{s} that they want when they see other Deaf peers have, they will sabotage/pull down their Deaf peers just to have that "positivity".

This causes the chain reaction of apathy in the Deaf community.

Once again, jasin, only YOU can do something about your reaction towards another person's response towards you.

Agreeing with a comment that was not negative is me being negative?

Last edited:
Honestly, I have not met a lot of people that ask me to stop signing.

However I do meet two groups of people...

The ones that tell me that my method is wrong, even though THEIR method is SEE2 and cued speech. This was throughout junior high. Let me grab an excerpt from my autobiography...

Assessing my life further, I remember being happy when I was growing up in in my old town. I was able to sign with anyone and everybody. I learned sign language from my grandma's Deaf neighbour, Roseanne, who taught ASL at the local college, and my mom and uncle made the effort to learn sign language. I don't think I ever recall my stepdad making the effort to learn other than the basic gestures. I loved it back then when I was able to say whatever I wanted.

Then, I remember becoming depressed when I got disconnected from my friends and moved to a new city because of my stepdad's job. It wasn't so much the people in the city, but the fact that I felt shunned from using sign language in the public school system. When I tried using ASL, I was told I was doing everything wrong and had to use Pidgin Signed English to make myself understood. There, my "interpreters" used SEE2 and cued speech. It was confusing to me and the new systems were foreign concepts. They didn't even take the time to explain that what I was seeing were Manually Coded English.

[removed]

The only time I remember being happy in junior high was when I was able to communicate with a Deaf girl, from a deaf school and was very angry for some reason; sure there were deaf guys in the school system at the time, but they were raised without any traces of American Sign Language, so I couldn't really understand them at the time.

That was one incident... pretty much responsible for my low self-esteem. Second case was when I was going out with this girl. She was interested in sign language. Right? So it took me awhile to warm up to her and start signing naturally. Well, eventually she got fed up with me and told me to speak only English, grabbed my hands and emphasized "STOP!" on her lips and told me to be more "normal." Later, when I asked why she went "You might as well teach me Klingon." That phrase still ticks me off today.

Other than that, most people seem be interested in sign language and sometimes are more than happy to learn sign language, even if all they are interested in are ASL concepts combined with English syntax.

There is a principal in deaf school, where i visited to meet my childhood friends ( though i study in non deaf school). i expressed my views of my desire of learning sign languauge, but damned him he replied saying " hey why u wanna to learn sign language......u are so lucky to study at normal school and just act like a hearing people....."and i was like "but in reality i am deaf people, and i am proud of it, if other deaf people learned it, why wudnt I?

Though never learned sigh language, and always used to be treated as isolated girl in school, i had developed my own way of communication....such as writing down my question on notes, nodding my head to express no, and yes..........but my parents always snaps it out saying you needs to grow up and u wont get anything if i continue in this ways...............when i tried to argue about it....they dont bother about it.

The facts is they need to grow up actually, they need to understand that forcing me to clear my speech without moving my finger is burden for me......making me more isolated......

and when i got 5 A* in igcse......they even said i was lucky to get this whole thing to people, but i did get it with hard work.....never used to understand lecture during class......though some credits should go to parents......but they gave me hard times,.............but anyway, afterall they are parents.:dunno:

Last edited:
I don't think i have ever had a person told me not to sign. Most people seem very interested in learning sign language and taking ASL classes.

I had a school back in the early 80s called Seneca High School in Louisville KY that banned sign language on campus.

Prolly not now, but it was back then.

Yiz

Back