Windows 7 official pricing announced

not at all.

same here! I graduated and I was able to access into Microsoft page for a year. I got everything I needed. :cool2:

It's not big deal because I will be college student in Jan 2010.

strange. My friend is the network security and IT administrator for university and major financial firm. he picks Linux/MacOS over windows anytime, anywhere. He single-handedly replaced entire university's IT infrastructure (windows-based) with linux OS. He can easily configure the network & server to anything he likes.... something that you cannot do in Windows-based environment.

YMMV

Yup. My web-hosting company that I own and run all run on Linux derivatives.

All web-hosting servers are CentOS, with cPanel and Fantastico installed on them and security is hardened and much more secure. You don't get SSH without being in a jailed environment. I also get notifications of anyone attempting to break into the server after they're automatically blocked.

All other servers that DON'T run web-hosting services, run Ubuntu Server Edition, heavily modified and hardened against common and not so common exploits, and also automatically e-mail me on any attempts to break into the server with whatever methods.

Tell me if Windows can do the same thing as I just said. Tell me that Windows can e-mail you on it detecting someone trying to attack it and take over the machine.

As for the home environment, again, I use Ubuntu Server Edition for media server, NAS server functionality and some other stuff.

While just one computer has Windows 7 RTM from the MSDN Technet pro membership I've had for years. And that computer is my computer and is heavily secured as much as possible. (I'm pretty sure it's the only computer on the internal network that's going to come close to being as secure as the linux servers we use in our datacenters.)

I can't buy Windows 7 next month, bills come first. I will buy Windows 7 next year.

OEM version of Windows 7 is cheaper price than full version.

Newegg is offering the OEM Home Premium version of Windows 7 for only $99.99, whereas the full version is currently retailing for $199.99. OEM versions of Windows 7 Professional are available for just $134.99, which is a massive $165 cheaper than the $299.99 retail version, and $5 cheaper than what Vista's Professional OEM version would have set you back. Finally, Windows 7 Ultimate is priced at $174.99, making for a $145 saving over the retail version.

Newegg.com - Software,Software,Operating Systems,Pre-order / Backorder

I think that might buy MS Windows 7 Professional OEM. Is that good?

I read somewhere to say that Window 7 doesn't need to be upgrading...
Wasn't I mistaken?

why not? I will buy it too unless my work's handing it out for free. wow.... it'd be first time I've paid for OS since Win 95 came out :-o

I can got free updated windows 7 software when had purchased new Dell desktop computer last summer. I need other Windows 7 Professional OEM for my HP notebook which includes MS Vista Home Premium. I won't want to update Windows 7 Home Premium.

I can got free updated windows 7 software when had purchased new Dell desktop computer last summer. I need other Windows 7 Professional OEM for my HP notebook which includes MS Vista Home Premium. I won't want to update Windows 7 Home Premium.

Do you think that you would use your Dell's Windows 7 DVD installer on your HP notebook?

Do you think that you would use your Dell's Windows 7 DVD installer on your HP notebook?

I already registered to receive upgrade to windows 7 in few months ago. I will wait to get it on date of Oct 22 or later???

I have both of reinstallation CD of MS Windows XP Pro and reinstallation DVD of Windows Vista Business for my new Dell desktop computer. I now use XP Pro operation. Should I re install Vista software into it before installing upgrade Windows 7? :shrug:

No,, OEM is only one PC final, cannot another... if install window 7 OEM, done, they send to Microsoft report... next year, new USB 3.0 and SATA3, change motherboard or new computer, delete windows7 OEM, then install it will not work, becuase they send to Microsoft Report tell you it is protect no run... I hate OEM!! better Retail is any old to new computer

OEM version of Windows 7 is cheaper price than full version.

Newegg.com - Software,Software,Operating Systems,Pre-order / Backorder

I think that might buy MS Windows 7 Professional OEM. Is that good?

No,, OEM is only one PC final, cannot another... if install window 7 OEM, done, they send to Microsoft report... next year, new USB 3.0 and SATA3, change motherboard or new computer, delete windows7 OEM, then install it will not work, becuase they send to Microsoft Report tell you it is protect no run... I hate OEM!! better Retail is any old to new computer

Dude! Just call to M$ and said my motherboard is died so I got the new motherboard so I need the new key. They will give you the new key. It is not hard to do the job.

Dude! Just call to M$ and said my motherboard is died so I got the new motherboard so I need the new key. They will give you the new key. It is not hard to do the job.

yup! takes about 15 min! I just tell them - I built a new computer and reinstalled everything. They will ask if this is the only computer with Windows. I say yes and then he gave me key.

Problem solved! :cool2:

yup! takes about 15 min! I just tell them - I built a new computer and reinstalled everything. They will ask if this is the only computer with Windows. I say yes and then he gave me key.

Agreed. Sometime it take about 5 min if LUCK. Sometime it take about 30 min if bad luck but worth it.

They simple ask you the question. Do you install more than one computer? Just answer No. I noticed some M$'s live rep were ask different question.

Yup, same here.

Yup, same here.

Strange. For few times, I told MS "yes" if I used it on my only computer and "no" if I used it on more than one computer. They gave me a code without a problem. Until I reinstalled WinXP for last time, they said it is pirated copy and refused to give me a code. They hanged up on me. I had same computer with same retail copy of WinXP for years before replaced it with new computer with Vista Ultimate I use today.

Have OS cloned or backup to another hdd is best option. Be careful, MS will think you are use pirated copy after many times of reinstall.

Strange. For few times, I told MS "yes" if I used it on my only computer and "no" if I used it on more than one computer. They gave me a code without a problem. Until I reinstalled WinXP for last time, they said it is pirated copy and refused to give me a code. They hanged up on me. I had same computer with same retail copy of WinXP for years before replaced it with new computer with Vista Ultimate I use today.

Have OS cloned or backup to another hdd is best option. Be careful, MS will think you are use pirated copy after many times of reinstall.

Yup, damn to DRM and MS love to check our privacy with PC, such as motherboard ID number or something like that.

I never liked DRM and MS should do something.

Yup, damn to DRM and MS love to check our privacy with PC, such as motherboard ID number or something like that.

I never liked DRM and MS should do something.

DRM are the most hated beast. DRM should be banned.

Catty

Back