Will Spanish overtake English in America?

Off topic or not, this thread reminded me of a headline in this morning's paper: "GPS for Illegal Migrants in Works". How does that grab ya?

I speak very little Spanish but most Spanish speaking people in my city are very patient with me when I try to communicate with them. It's a matter of respecting each other. Most Spanish speakers here are from Mexico and Central America. Some people are from South America.

I consider it a matter of culture rather than race. Many Mexican traditions are part of the local culture here. Things like tamales at Christmas, colorful dancers on Cinco de Mayo and pinatas at birthday parties. In the Hill Country, there's a mix of German-Czech-Mexican culture. People from various cultures marry and cultures blend together over time. It makes life more interesting when one is open to new cultures and traditions. A language is just part of a culture.

look at the news. hate crime. communities. Why is it that all minority races share same view when they get angry.. illogically.. toward to Caucasian people?

see my previous post.

POLL: Spanish Spoken Here -- and Two-thirds Don't Mind
I read the article but I couldn't open the pdf file for the actual poll. The article didn't break it down by race. Maybe the pdf poll did but I couldn't open it. Maybe you can copy and paste the part of the pdf that shows how blacks feel about Spanish language.

Very interesting but it didn't say that blacks care less about people speaking Spanish than whites do.

Tousi, I think that's unworkable. If you want to stop illegal employment, the government should penalize the employers who hire illegal immigrants. That's completely workable. It's not going to happen because employers want to hire illegal immigrants. The employers hire them for less pay and the workers don't complain about dangerous, illegal working conditions.

I don't mind spanish language or Spanish speaking people. I just not sure their political beliefs coming from Mexico, afterall they will be voters.

See this again appears to be a regional thing. Here in TX and NM.....GENERALLY SPEAKING.....Blacks and Hispanics do not get along at all. In fact the divide between Blacks and Hispanics here is greater than the divide between either black and white or Hispanic and white. In New Mexico it is worse. I have a real good friend here in Dallas that is Black. I have offered to let him use my vacation home in Alto many times and he refuses to accept because there are too many Hispanics and Native Americans there. Personally I don't have a problem with anyone. This is just an observation.
I've observed that also in my community. :(

I don't mind spanish language or Spanish speaking people. I just not sure their political beliefs coming from Mexico.

My ex hubby was born in Mexico and his mother grew up there. They didnt have any political agenda..just wanted to have opportunities for a better life as corruption in Mexico prevented them from pursuing better avenues. I grew up in AZ and Mexicans seem to adopt the politics of America.

I speak very little Spanish but most Spanish speaking people in my city are very patient with me when I try to communicate with them. It's a matter of respecting each other. Most Spanish speakers here are from Mexico and Central America. Some people are from South America.

I consider it a matter of culture rather than race. Many Mexican traditions are part of the local culture here. Things like tamales at Christmas, colorful dancers on Cinco de Mayo and pinatas at birthday parties. In the Hill Country, there's a mix of German-Czech-Mexican culture. People from various cultures marry and cultures blend together over time. It makes life more interesting when one is open to new cultures and traditions. A language is just part of a culture.

It was like that in east Charlotte, NC too. I used to live in a mostly Mexican neighborhood till last year. Where I currently live, there's hardly any Mexicans around here.

My Swiss-German ancestors on my mother's side didn't learn to speak English till the 19 century even though they have been here in the USA since the late 17th century.

My ex hubby was born in Mexico and his mother grew up there. They didnt have any political agenda..just wanted to have opportunities for a better life as corruption in Mexico prevented them from pursuing better avenues. I grew up in AZ and Mexicans seem to adopt the politics of America.

I noticed so many Mexicans moving to the USA that it made me wonder what was going on in Mexico. Personally, I think it'd be foolish to move to Mexico given all the problems that this country has.

The drug-related violence is out of hand in Mexico and along the border towns (especially El Paso). I don't blame people for wanting to get away from the violence. It's sad because I used to travel to Mexico as a kid. Now, it's dangerous and I don't feel like it's safe.

LOL at some of the fear mongering on this thread. Sure, new immigrants are slow to learn English, but their children learn, and their children, etc.

English will always be the dominant language of the United States. It will always be the language of those in power, and it will always be the language one needs to learn in order to be successful and navigate our society.

Not only that, English will always be the dominant language of the ENTIRE world. This is not going to change. Don't worry about it.

LOL at some of the fear mongering on this thread. Sure, new immigrants are slow to learn English, but their children learn, and their children, etc.

English will always be the dominant language of the United States. It will always be the language of those in power, and it will always be the language one needs to learn in order to be successful and navigate our society.

Not only that, English will always be the dominant language of the ENTIRE world. This is not going to change. Don't worry about it.

LOL... I remember when everyone said we would all be speaking Mandarin in 2010...

"always" is a pretty bold statement... coming from a scholar. :hmm: I am sure people have thought the same with Latin.

LOL... I remember when everyone said we would all be speaking Mandarin in 2010...

"always" is a pretty bold statement... coming from a scholar. :hmm: I am sure people have thought the same with Latin.

Teh internets has changed everything, my friend. This world will self-destruct long before English becomes a subjugated language.

Also, Latin was the language of the elite, and the church purposely kept the lower classes from learning it (interestingly, it was lingua franca for European economics for much of the first 1500 years or so after Christ) but it was not spoken by the common people, that was their fault and the reason it died out.

English, especially American English, is exported far and wide and is the most taught language the world has ever known. Also, it is very open to change and evolution, and the only protection of it that people seem to have is that it be the dominant spoken language. Contrast this with, say, the Francophone, and you can see how they've ensured French will never be the lingua franca because of how they are so protective of it.

I wouldn't say always. Just look at Latin. However, I think it's unlikely Spanish will become the dominant language in the USA in 20 years.

Lol, we seem to be on the same page.

I noticed so many Mexicans moving to the USA that it made me wonder what was going on in Mexico. Personally, I think it'd be foolish to move to Mexico given all the problems that this country has.

Mexico City has such a huge Anglo population they have their own radio station -- Only a small percent ever learn to speak Spanish -- Most of them do not mix much outside their own enclave.

Sort of a mini U.S. in the heart of Mexico.

Mexico City has such a huge Anglo population they have their own radio station -- Only a small percent ever learn to speak Spanish -- Most of them do not mix much outside their own enclave.

Hmm. I hadn't known that.

Teh internets has changed everything, my friend. This world will self-destruct long before English becomes a subjugated language.

Nah. As soon we get hologram technology going and perfect the translation toons, we will see the languages fragmenting again.

Plus... India and China's own people haven't even begun tapping into the Internet yet, and Hindu is already a large part of the Internet.

Americatown!

Nah. As soon we get hologram technology going and perfect the translation toons, we will see the languages fragmenting again.

Plus... India and China's own people haven't even begun tapping into the Internet yet, and Hindu is already a large part of the Internet.

I know! I keep running into Indian products when I look for beads for one of my hobbies.

Back