Will Spanish overtake English in America?

Believe it or not! most school require all students to take Spanish language class that's why Hispanic population will overtake white in America.

1. Hispanic
2. Caucasian (white)
3. Black
4. Asian

1. Hispanic
2. Asian
3. Black
4. Caucasian (white)

I don't think they are require to in elementary (in high school, that's different) . They choose to. It depend on what the community want the school to be teaching and how important they think it is for the students to know Spanish.

I don't think they are require to in elementary (in high school, that's different) . They choose to. It depend on what the community want the school to be teaching and how important they think it is for the students to know Spanish.

my high schools in 2 different towns do not require students to take Spanish course. They give options. I think now they're offering 3 foreign languages.

In California, English is already declared as official language, it had been since 1980's and you are required to take English courses at public school in CA, that why about any latino or other ethnic groups are unable to speak English so they are required to take English Learner classes.

population growth

Census sees Hispanic surge Blacks likely to be overtaken in 2013
population growth of whites will slow
December 04, 1992|By James Bock,Staff Writer

Hispanics will overtake blacks in the year 2013 as the largest U.S. minority group, according to government projections being released today.

The United States will become far more ethnically diverse in the 21st Century as white population growth slows, Latin American and Asian immigration remains high, and the younger minority population has more children than whites, the Census Bureau predicted.

The new projections offer this portrait of the United States in the year 2050: a population of 383 million that is 53 percent white (excluding Hispanics), 21 percent Hispanic, 15 percent black, 10 percent Asian-American and 1 percent American Indian, Eskimo and Aleut.

Wirelessly posted (Nokia2660/2.0 (03.62) Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.5.1.0.0)

First off, drop the Cauasian thing. Latin Americans ARE Cauasians. Identify the culture, not the race, otherwise it is reverse racism. Only native-born Americans are complaining about the rise of Spanish speakers. Many Americans who idenify themselves as ethnic minority complained about Spainish and Hispanics on MSN and Yahoo messengers over the years-- so it is NOT a white issue. Second, I thought the reason why America doesnt have a de jure at a federal level is because America was founded on freedom of CHOICES?

In California, English is already declared as official language, it had been since 1980's and you are required to take English courses at public school in CA, that why about any latino or other ethnic groups are unable to speak English so they are required to take English Learner classes.

I can imagine so, because in order to pass the next grade level, you have to pass grammar and English. If the student failed reading, writing, and grammar, which is mostly English, he'll be held back (or however they handle it these days).

I can imagine so, because in order to pass the next grade level, you have to pass grammar and English. If the student failed reading, writing, and grammar, which is mostly English, he'll be held back (or however they handle it these days).

Right on.

Wirelessly posted (Nokia2660/2.0 (03.62) Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.5.1.0.0)

First off, drop the Cauasian thing. Latin Americans ARE Cauasians. Identify the culture, not the race, otherwise it is reverse racism. Only native-born Americans are complaining about the rise of Spanish speakers. Many Americans who idenify themselves as ethnic minority complained about Spainish and Hispanics on MSN and Yahoo messengers over the years-- so it is NOT a white issue. Second, I thought the reason why America doesnt have a de jure at a federal level is because America was founded on freedom of CHOICES?

The Latin Americans who identified themselves as Caucasians are the one of European descent especially from Spain or Portuguese.

ah-ha! there you go! problem solved! You just helped calm taurizs' concern that CA will not be overtaken by Spanish-speaking people and that English will not be eroded away.

according to OP - "yes, It will happen 10 to 20 years from now. Spanish will overtake California and Texas for sure! also it will complete in 15 to 20 years. Good bye to English in America?"

That's usually a concern raised by a Caucasian. Do you hear this concern expressed by other minority like Koreans? Chinese? Blacks? not as much as Caucasian.

that's how I want it. PLZ SPEAK ENGLISH! btw - OP is concerned about Spanish-speaking people taking over California and Texas and make it a Spanish-speaking state. Those states just happen to have a significant Hispanic population. So what? Should Maryland and DC be concerned about its ASL-dominated community? ASL is not the same as English.

c'mon there..... You and I both know this is not gonna happen. :) Embrace it bilingually.

You know when we lived in El Paso, the library had most books of Spanish.

Because I like to read I learned a lot of Spanish.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

It already happened in my state Hablamos Espanol. We speak Spanish :lol:

Thrilled? no but point is the black people have already accepted the fact that the Hispanic population is growing. Caucasian people need to accept it as .

See this again appears to be a regional thing. Here in TX and NM.....GENERALLY SPEAKING.....Blacks and Hispanics do not get along at all. In fact the divide between Blacks and Hispanics here is greater than the divide between either black and white or Hispanic and white. In New Mexico it is worse. I have a real good friend here in Dallas that is Black. I have offered to let him use my vacation home in Alto many times and he refuses to accept because there are too many Hispanics and Native Americans there. Personally I don't have a problem with anyone. This is just an observation.

See this again appears to be a regional thing. Here in TX and NM.....GENERALLY SPEAKING.....Blacks and Hispanics do not get along at all. In fact the divide between Blacks and Hispanics here is greater than the divide between either black and white or Hispanic and white. In New Mexico it is worse. I have a real good friend here in Dallas that is Black. I have offered to let him use my vacation home in Alto many times and he refuses to accept because there are too many Hispanics and Native Americans there. Personally I don't have a problem with anyone. This is just an observation.

Seen that in Omaha. It's unbelievable.

I am not worried..I can always learn a 3rd language. No biggie.

you're talking about a racial divide... which is a different issue from this thread. My point is - you do not hear this kind of "PLZ SPEAK ENGLISH" from the minorities like Black people as much as you do from Caucasian.

you're talking about a racial divide... which is a different issue from this thread. My point is - you do not hear this kind of "PLZ SPEAK ENGLISH" from the minorities like Black people as much as you do from Caucasian.

It kind of goes hand in hand imo. I know there was a big debate here at the beginning of the school year because hispanics felt there were not enough hispanic leaders mentioned in the text books. Black teachers countered that there was enough time in the school year for Blacks who are already learning "white" culture to learn and understand hispanic culture as well. One of there points was that learning the hispanic names and the fact that certain letters made different sounds would be difficult to teach.

Blacks were also at the forefront of a debate over changing the names of some streets here to names of Hispanic leaders. Again they sound that the names would be confusing to some blacks.

Not saying I agree with any of this. Just saying I believe language is at least a part of there differences.

Believe it or not! most school require all students to take Spanish language class that's why Hispanic population will overtake white in America.
Maybe the schools in your area. That's not true in my state.

and what happens in the end? Their Spanish vocabulary is still limited to "mi casa es tu casa" and "yo quiero taco bell". They are clearly not interested at all in being a bilingual person. That's ok.
Some people go on to learn more, some don't.

...What of American Caucasian? I think we all know that they want to stay "ignorant".
Wow, that's a prejudicial statement! As an "American Caucasian" I resent that remark.

Beside - colleges are offering dozen more languages too - Russian, Italian, French, ASL, Korean, Japanese, etc. I think it's safe to say that Caucasian people who took European foreign language course (French/Italian) know much better than Caucasian people who took Spanish course.
Colleges have always offered a variety of foreign languages. So?

I said that colleges are adding more courses in Spanish, credit and non-credit. That's because there is an increase in interest in taking Spanish.

:hmm: yea? just so they can recruit more illegals? :lol: ok bad joke
It's so they can communicate better with the employees that they have. My state has been seriously cracking down on companies that hire illegal workers (huge fines).

They (and Portuguese) look down on Hispanic/Mexican people. They ruled over them, didjaknow? Simple - look at South American countries like Brazil and Argentina.
I'm familiar with the history.

Back