Will Spanish overtake English in America?

They took blankets from people who had died of the Smallpox and didn't burn or destroy the blankets, instead they decided it was a bright idea to "donate" them to the Native Americans so that they could expose our Native American ancestors to Smallpox and kill us all off that way. Luckily, some of us survived. But a large number of Native Americans died.
Off Topic

The blankets with the smallpox was given by the whites. I do not know if they knew or do not know that we, the natives, are not immune to smallpox. The whites have already been immune to smallpox and never die. But the natives had never had diseases before the white people came. When some of the white people got sick with different kind of diseases, the natives got sick very badly and die from it. It is the same with Canada. I bet Mexico and South America had the same problem like ours when Spanish conquerors got sick and gave the diseases to them too.

Later when the white people who were the friends of Native Americans, they had to burn the blankets to get rid of smallpox.

Now back to topic

It does not matter if California and Texas want to have spanish speaking in their communities or speak English. It is up to them to be able to understand what we are saying. Just like we have trouble understanding hearing speaking to us when we could not hear or lipread. We rely on ASL better than spoken English. Everyone has their choices of being comfortable to speak their own tongues. Many of our natives want to speak their own tongues including English. So no big difference. :cool2:

Unfortunately Spanish will overtake English eventually in this country. It may never happen in my lifetime but it will happen.

I remember when I was a kid, English was the mostly widely spoken language in the world and it was considered the "Universal Language". Recently, I found out that Mandarin Chinese is now the most widely spoken language in the world. I blame this on our reliance on Chinese labor and goods simply because they are willing to do it cheaply at the cost of the low class workers.

Nah...

A lot of the upper-class Chinese speaks English. It's the fact that China is 1/6th of the world's population i the reason why Mandarin is the most widely-spoken. Got nothing to do with our dependency of the outsourcing to Chinese labour.

Nah...

A lot of the upper-class Chinese speaks English. It's the fact that China is 1/6th of the world's population i the reason why Mandarin is the most widely-spoken. Got nothing to do with our dependency of the outsourcing to Chinese labour.

True but some high paid execs that often travel to China to represent US companies and firms often have to learn Mandarin Chinese to help seal the deals for cheap labor and parts. In the business world it's a polite gesture to speak the language of the person you want to do business with.

growth

U.S.A population growth will be non-whites about 85 to 90% in 30 years from now. I am not surprised that English is NOT an official language of America!

U.S.A population growth will be non-whites about 85 to 90% in 30 years from now. I am not surprised that English is NOT an official language of America!

Um...

What? The last sentence doesn't even makes sense. The founding fathers could had easily made English the official language if they wanted to-- like many other country's constitutions already did.

Spanish won't take over English...thou however spanish is indeed about everywhere on products, restaurants, and so on only because America is very close next to Mexico...and hundreds of yrs ago some of the first settlers were spanish so they gave that state Florida a spanish name for Flower. So yea...there will always be alot of English and Spanish in America but seriously, it won't replace English...even if that happens, I refuse to learn Spanish. English language and ASL is enough for me, thanks.

Spanish won't take over English...thou however spanish is indeed about everywhere on products, restaurants, and so on only because America is very close next to Mexico...and hundreds of yrs ago some of the first settlers were spanish so they gave that state Florida a spanish name for Flower. So yea...there will always be alot of English and Spanish in America but seriously, it won't replace English...even if that happens, I refuse to learn Spanish. English language and ASL is enough for me, thanks.

This used to be so, only for the states on the Mexican border. Now it's everywhere.

Kind of like how you are in the northern states that border Canada, you see French and English versions of everything. Well now you have English, French, and Spanish versions of everything up North.

If you speak English, that doesn't really make you "American".

We're actually speaking a language that originated in England.

There's no "American" language.

So, if we're going to complain that other people are speaking Spanish in America... we should blame ourselves cuz we're not speaking American. We're speaking English. ;)

Back