Will I qualify for Social Security Disability benefits ? Hearing loss on both ears 90

There are millions of people that have undergone drastically drop on their income during some point of their life. Your not alone. I have been there and done though that.

Thank you friends... Appreciate your kind suggestions..

I am not aware of any of these as I never looked these in past.

Appreciate your help..

I am little worried as my earning capabilities were dropped drastically...

It is painful go lose that much income, especially if you are used to the $200K lifestyle.

Just remind yourself that 95% of us citizens can only dream of earning $70K per year. Supplemental income is for those that make something like less than $700 per month. Disability income gets you 60% of your lifetime average income....six months after you apply.

Why did you lose your income? If you believe deafness was a factor, how did it cause the reduction?

I should have been earning $70K by now if it wasn't for the 6 year budget freeze which led to having no raise for 6 years.

I would take $70K salary if I were you (I saw your comment that you took it anyway).

The salary reduction is more common due to economy. I'd rather to work and earn money than relying on SSI/SSDI. FYI, SSI/SSDI wages are MUCH lesser than your salary.

It is painful go lose that much income, especially if you are used to the $200K lifestyle.

Just remind yourself that 95% of us citizens can only dream of earning $70K per year. Supplemental income is for those that make something like less than $700 per month. Disability income gets you 60% of your lifetime average income....six months after you apply.

Why did you lose your income? If you believe deafness was a factor, how did it cause the reduction?
I think Vas was laid off from 3 jobs. If incorrect, then salary reductions in a same job must be due to poor economy before Vas got laid off. I don't think that the deafness had anything to do with it while Vas has the same skills and experiences. Can you imagine that your boss would tell you that your salary has to be reduced because you are becoming deaf? No way! That's an act of discrimination. I hope Vas will answer to clarify.

I used to work 3 years back 250k
2 years back 200 k
1 year back 160k
12 months out of job...
Now 70k

I am having Hearing loss on both ears 90 dbHL. 2 years ago I was diagnoised with around 55 to 60 dbhlhearing loss. Few months back, when I went to doctor I was told that I am having 90 dbHL hearing loss on both ears. I was working in Investement bank and my position was eliminated during June2012 layoff. Its becoming extremly difficult to get job with this kind of hearing loss.

I am US Citizen and working from past 10 years. My age is 39. Am I eligible for any kind of benfits. I think I have 40 work credits.
I've worked 9 out of last 10 years.

I am unemployed since June 2012. I used to make 160 K year till June 2012.

I got job offer for 70 k in July 2013.

It seems my hearing loss is becoming hurdle in getting job due to loss of effective communication which is MUST in Information Technology.

Pure tone audiometry demonstrated a moderately severe to severe sensorineural hearing loss (90 dbhl, bilaterally. Speech reception thresholds (SRTs) were established at 65 dBHL, right, and at 60 dBHL, left.

Am I eligible. If so can you please let me the the process.

Thanks,
Vas

70K? eh you don't need any help. you're fine.

you just gotta start downsizing your expenses like expensive house, expensive car, expensive stuff. seek financial adviser if you need to.

Thanks Green427. I never dream of getting some benifits. I never even applied unemployment benefits even though I am out of job for almost 12 months. I am joining this 70 k job coming Monday.

I spent all my savings when I am unemployed. Now I can sense my financial situation is becoming worse. My wife left me as I am god for nothing. Then one of my friend told that"Disability income gets you 60% of your lifetime average income" I know I am just 40. But am worried if I think of my future.

Hence I am wondering is there any option left over since I made nice income earlier.

I think Vas was laid off from 3 jobs. If incorrect, then salary reductions in a same job must be due to poor economy before Vas got laid off. I don't think that the deafness had anything to do with it while Vas has the same skills and experiences. Can you imagine that your boss would tell you that your salary has to be reduced because you are becoming deaf? No way! That's an act of discrimination. I hope Vas will answer to clarify.

Yes true as a matter of fact they just mentioned position has been terminated due to bad economy. I know in my field communication is key role as I need to interact with clients to develop software solutions for their needs. I ma lacking this excellent communication skills

60% of total income isn't correct, they do have monthly payout limitation, so whichever is less is what you get. $2,436 is the maximum an individual can get. Meaning if the 60% threshold and you reach $5K a month, you will not be able to get all of them, but up to $2,436. That's little over $29k/year.

Private disability Insurance is whole different, and is better than SSDI.

Thanks Green427. I never dream of getting some benifits. I never even applied unemployment benefits even though I am out of job for almost 12 months. I am joining this 70 k job coming Monday.

I spent all my savings when I am unemployed. Now I can sense my financial situation is becoming worse. My wife left me as I am god for nothing. Then one of my friend told that"Disability income gets you 60% of your lifetime average income" I know I am just 40. But am worried if I think of my future.

Hence I am wondering is there any option left over since I made nice income earlier.

Seriously, you need to see a professional counselor.

Many of us deaf folks work in the IT field, and we are able to do our jobs without needing to hear....we still find ways to communicate effectively.

Are you late deafened? If yes, what was the cause?

70K? eh you don't need any help. you're fine.

you just gotta start downsizing your expenses like expensive house, expensive car, expensive stuff. seek financial adviser if you need to.

To some 70K is not a lot but it would be the perfect salary for me. That's my goal...to make at least 70K. That's why I am looking for another job this summer. I am sick of not having a raise for 6 years. Instead of waiting around, I am taking action. Applying for whatever I am qualified for and I don't even think about my deafness being an issue.

60% of total income isn't correct, they do have monthly payout limitation, so whichever is less is what you get. $2,436 is the maximum an individual can get. Meaning if the 60% threshold and you reach $5K a month, you will not be able to get all of them, but up to $2,436. That's little over $29k/year.

Private disability Insurance is whole different, and is better than SSDI.

Thanks for clarification... How to get Private disability Insurance? I am little worried about future not with present.

Seriously, you need to see a professional counselor.

Many of us deaf folks work in the IT field, and we are able to do our jobs without needing to hear....we still find ways to communicate effectively.

Are you late deafened? If yes, what was the cause?

Yes I realized that I had hearing loss (60dbHL) 5 years back. I don't know how I got. Its worsening day by day. Now I am having 90dbHL on my both ears.

I think what your friend is talking about is more along the lines of if you're injured on the job, your employers insurance would pay you disability pay until you're recovered and back to work. I don't think they pay that indefinitely and somehow I don't think you're hearing loss was from your work.

Thanks Friends. I really appreciate the help and guidance provided here. My wife left me after seeing my financial downturn as I am good for nothing. We are having 2 kids ( 9 years and 3 years). I am looking for shared physical custody and legal custody but she arguing that I can not give good care as I am having 90 DbHl hearing loss.

Will my hearing loss effect to get shared physical custody & Legal custody..

My wife earns 100 k per annum. I am 70 k as mentioned above. Currently kids are staying with her. She is demanding $1600 per month child support. My kids are angels I want to give everything whatever I earn. Though it is tough to pay that huge amount, I am in a position to pay now whatever she asks that $1600 as I make $4000 now after taxes. but am worried about their future.

I was told that SSDI / SSI help kids since I am having 90dbHL hearing loss and earning capabilities were worsen if we take last 10 years.. my average was 150k.. best was 250k.. now its 70k.. Is it true?

Apologies for so many questions..

Thank you friends... Appreciate your kind suggestions..

I am not aware of any of these as I never looked these in past.

Appreciate your help..

I am little worried as my earning capabilities were dropped drastically...

Live within your new $70K budget and you won't have any trouble.

My sister has just lost her job but she's realised she will need to live on a reduced income. It just means she may not be able to eat out as much or go to the movies etc but she isn't worrying and she has children and a husband who work is only part time.

$70K is bloody amazing! You should be grateful.

I think what your friend is talking about is more along the lines of if you're injured on the job, your employers insurance would pay you disability pay until you're recovered and back to work. I don't think they pay that indefinitely and somehow I don't think you're hearing loss was from your work.
That's called a worker's compensation. As long as it's not his fault. For example, if he is injured on the job while being intoxicated or high on drugs, then no worker's comp.

Thanks for clarification... How to get Private disability Insurance? I am little worried about future not with present.
You can buy DI from an union, your state (if you are a state employee), your employer if available or maybe insurance companies but you have paid SS taxes so you will be eligible for SSDI when you become disabled (unable to work). DI and SSDI are the same so you don't need two. What's more, DI pays only if you are disabled, not for other reason like lay-off, etc.

Back