Will I qualify for Social Security Disability benefits ? Hearing loss on both ears 90

No. I collect disability because the SSA deemed me Deaf. The rules for collecting this varies case by case, but you might qualify.

SSDI is what you pay into while you are working. Even though it's your money, it is very difficult to qualify.

http://www.alaskaworksinitiative.org/manual/contents/A-68SSDI.pdf

Who is eligible for Social Security for Disabled Adult Children
(SSDAC)/Childhood Disability Beneficiary(CDB) benefits?

To be eligible, one must be:

1) over 18
2) permanently and totally disabled before the age of 22 and
3) the child of an insured worker who is disabled, retired or
deceased
That means that you receive this "child" benefit through your disabled, retired or deceased parent who has paid SS taxes in the past as long as you are disabled before the age of 22.

Interesting! I wonder if other deaf people know about that to take advantage. The question is "Is it enough for you to live on?"

Doubtful. I have a few friends around here who don't even know about it. The question I'm often asked is if my parents are deceased, which they're not, but the process to get approved is grueling. It takes between 4-6 months to complete, and if you DO apply, you'd best be prepared for early morning calls daily everyday M-F for weeks. Their line of questioning is tough. Lastly, you must go to a doctor of THEIR choosing, and that person will interview you and report back to them.

Going out on a limb

I am having Hearing loss on both ears 90 dbHL. 2 years ago I was diagnoised with around 55 to 60 dbhlhearing loss. Few months back, when I went to doctor I was told that I am having 90 dbHL hearing loss on both ears. I was working in Investement bank and my position was eliminated during June2012 layoff. Its becoming extremly difficult to get job with this kind of hearing loss.

I am US Citizen and working from past 10 years. My age is 39. Am I eligible for any kind of benfits. I think I have 40 work credits.
I've worked 9 out of last 10 years.

I am unemployed since June 2012. I used to make 160 K year till June 2012.

I got job offer for 70 k in July 2013.

It seems my hearing loss is becoming hurdle in getting job due to loss of effective communication which is MUST in Information Technology.

Pure tone audiometry demonstrated a moderately severe to severe sensorineural hearing loss (90 dbhl, bilaterally. Speech reception thresholds (SRTs) were established at 65 dBHL, right, and at 60 dBHL, left.

Am I eligible. If so can you please let me the the process.

Thanks,
Vas
Short answer: (My background first - I worked in IT for 30 years. My last job was as a PM/BA/& SW tester (job before involved some building of websites most folks would recognize). I know the market. I know what began happening in the mid 1990s, during the first Y2K and after the second and I knew exactly what was going to happen, so we prepared for the fallout of a flooded and cheaper-paying market. We also survived it.)

You can apply. You can continue looking for work and stop the process if you find a job. But you won't because you will not take a job for $70k. Botts and Frisky I'm on your side. It gets worse. WE HAVE TO HAVE INSURANCE or be penalized. $70k looks better but I don't trust what I'm reading. Really, folks, there is something that we do not know and that's fine.

Times in the last six years have changed dramatically. No one can say if you are or are not eligible. Apply. You have nothing to lose. But you won't take $70k. That's very weird.

But Ambrosia makes a very valid point. If you aren't willing to take $70k, why in the heck would you be willing to take (probably closer ...) say $30k? AND YOU WERE OFFERED A JOB. It doesn't make sense. We will base our judgements on the information at hand and as presented.

The answer to your question is simple. No one knows and you will not until you apply. There are more holes in your question than the shootout at O.K. corral. It's totally illogical. You're in IT. It just does not add up.

I have no idea what you have up your sleeve but it leaves me with being incredulous about your situation.

I don't think this is even worth continuing. It's just too weird. Go to Dice or Monster and ask them what they think. I suggested to a gentleman on Dice he apply for SSDI and he really needed to but he also would've accepted a job A JOB at $70k!

Doubtful. I have a few friends around here who don't even know about it. The question I'm often asked is if my parents are deceased, which they're not, but the process to get approved is grueling. It takes between 4-6 months to complete, and if you DO apply, you'd best be prepared for early morning calls daily everyday M-F for weeks. Their line of questioning is tough. Lastly, you must go to a doctor of THEIR choosing, and that person will interview you and report back to them.
What about insured parent(s)? Do they know that their disabled adult child(ren) could be covered, too? How did you know about SSDAC? What if you have a job?

well, I have moderately-severe to profound hearing loss in both ears, and my claim just got denied...I'm going to take legal action and make sure that I get my $400 a month, or whatever it is...This is only because I'm in college and I need to cover my rent somehow right now, and I have tried and can't get any job that doesn't require a bachelor's degree or higher right now. Once I graduate and find a career, disability goes out the window- and I'm cool with that. Living off of the amount of income the government provides you monthly is really no way to live anyway, but if it can help me pay my bills through college at least, then I'm willing to fight to make sure that I can get it for now.

well, I have moderately-severe to profound hearing loss in both ears, and my claim just got denied...I'm going to take legal action and make sure that I get my $400 a month, or whatever it is...This is only because I'm in college and I need to cover my rent somehow right now, and I have tried and can't get any job that doesn't require a bachelor's degree or higher right now. Once I graduate and find a career, disability goes out the window- and I'm cool with that. Living off of the amount of income the government provides you monthly is really no way to live anyway, but if it can help me pay my bills through college at least, then I'm willing to fight to make sure that I can get it for now.

Do they allow college students to make claims? It seems like that would be double dipping as there are different government programs to help with the cost of college.

SSI & Hearing Loss Qualification

I know your post is a couple years old by now, But figured by posting my reply it'd help other people with Moderate, Severe or Profound Hearing Loss vs SSI Benefits... I've had a hearing problem since Elementary School when I was failing the Audiogram Tests the School would do... Once it was finally brought to my Mom's attention, I went to the Dr who performed more hearing tests & chalked it up to allergies that were causing my ear canals to sell, hence the hearing loss... So I went to an allergist, did the prick test & was told I'd need 1 allergy shot in the back of each arm for the next 2yrs! Well unfortunately 2 shots total became 4 shots (2 in each arm, vs the original 1 shot in each arm) & 2yrs of allergy shots became 7yrs!!! As a kid I rolled with getting needless every week like a champ! However I still had shoddy hearing that was never researched further!

I'm now 32y/o & use subtitles to watch tv & read lips just to follow conversations! A few years ago on a whim I had my hearing tested while at a farmers market & was told I had a 30% loss... For kicks, the Dr told me to come back the following month to be retested... He wanted to see how rapidly my hearing was deteriorating. So the following month I went back & sure enough my hearing was worse: 40% loss! At the time I had health insurance, but back then (& even now), just about EVERY Insurance Provider will don't ANY kind of coverage for hearing aids, implants or other hearing devices for people below the age of 65y/o, if your loss under certain dBs/Hz. Now, just yesterday 02/19/15, I went to have my hearing tested again, because I applied for Health Insurance through the Market place & put down that I have a Disability because my hearing loss is DEFINITELY diminishing the quality of my life, I've had quit a few jobs that required answering the phone & making calls to people with breathing problems to refill their medications because most of them were older men/women & talked lower, I couldn't understand what they were saying & was putting wrong info in their files for their refills & orders! There are other jobs as well that I got asked to leave because I was required to speak very soft because of HIPPA Laws & because of my hearing loss I was talking entirely WAY TOO LOUD (because I know I talk loss enough to hear myself & so my voice to someone with normal/great hearing is the equivalent of shouting!!!) & the Manager told Me I was a liability to the Company's Clients & their Info. It was devastating because I was making great money & was saving for hearing aids!

I do have a question though... When you all had your hearing tested were you told what your loss was in dBs & Hz? Or were you just told a %?? Because out of all the times I've had my hearing tested I've never been told what my loss was in dB/Hz! I've only ever been told a %... Another thing I noticed yesterday, was that the Dr performed a Bone Conduction Test, but only on the left ear (Whichs worse then my right ear), what's even more odd is before yesterday I'd never had that kind of test done, nor had I ever had a Word Recognition Test done til yesterday... I didn't get the results on how I did on that test either! But since my boyfriend went with me & was in the room, he told me I got words wrong & that some words the Dr said I didn't repeat at all because I couldn't hear them! Though, as I said, the Dr didn't write down or tell me the results. Another thing I didn't like was that when he did the Tone Test, EVERYTIME he pushed a Tone for me to hear, he'd look right up & at me so I knew that I should be heading a Tone & because I deal with Tinnitus (high pitched ringing in my ears), I got to a point where I started raising my hand because I knew he was pushing the button & because I couldn't differentiate the ringing in my ears vs the Tone I was supposed to be heating! I also know some of the tones I wasn't sure I was hearing, I'd make a face that anyone would be able to tell I was having difficulty deciphering it & yet he still he still marked it down as me being able to hear that tone, with NO DIFFICULTIES, which I feel isn't right!

But I'm also posting on here because I know the info I gave & an going to give now will help other people who can't afford Hearing Aids, have no Insurance/Coverage, are out of work or have Low Income...
1. There's a Foundation called "Miracle Ear Foundation", that helps newborns/Children/Adults with Hearing Losses that NEED HEARING Aids. You pay a non-refundable $150 Application Fee. If you're approved you'll receive Hearing Aids up to $7000, free hearing tests, batteries & cleanings. The Eligibility Requirements state you need have a loss that requires amplification (hearing aids/implants), you have to have extinguished all other resources available including: Insurance, Medicaid, Vocational Rehab (VR), State Programs, Local Programs & other Charity Sources before applying through theMiracle Ear Foundation. You must complete the application form & provide a current Audiogram. Children 18y/o & under must provide Medical Clearance that's signed by a Physician (MD, EMT, ENT, etc) dated within the last 6months. While Medical Clearance is encouraged for adults, signing a Medical Waiver that's in the Applications also acceptable. You must have an income level which doesn't allow you/the family to receive Public Support-Total Household Income must be at or below the chart in the application (it has 2 columns: Family Size & Total Household Income... If it's only you (1) you have to be at or below $22,980... For 2people it's: $31,020, 3people: $39.060, 4people: $47,100, 5people: $55,140, 6people: $63,180, 7people: $71,220 & 8people: $79,260), to qualify & demonstrate personal inability to financially provide for hearing health. You must possess a family commitment to intervention rehab, & necessary follow up services, Whichs especially important a child applicant as they grow... & lastly, you must be a resident of the US & Puerto Rico.

As for SSI (Social Security Income) Hearing Disability states on their website that your average hearing threshold sensitivity for Air Conduction MUST BE: 90dB or worse in your better ear & you MUST have a Bone Conduction hearing threshold of 60dB or worse in your better ear. Your hearing loss NEEDS to be calculated by averaging your hearing at the sod frequencies: 500Hz, 1000Hz & 2000Hz... OR a "Word Recognition Test. You MUST NOT BE able to repeat more than 40% of a list of standardized words spoken in the test, which tests scorch discrimination.

*** Pure Tone, Bone Conduction & Word Recognition Tests MUST BE completed by an Otolaryngologist (ENT), a Licensed Physician or an Audiologist working under the supervision of an ENT or Physician. All Tests are done WITHOUT your hearing aids in.

IMPORTANT: The Social Security Admin can also send you to an Audiologist for Auditory evoked Response Testing (which measures brainwave responses to tones), to determine if your hearings truly as bad as your Pure Tone Audiometry Tests Indicate.

Here are my Results from test done yesterday, 02.19.2015... If anyone can tell me what my Hearing Loss is I'd REALLY appreciate it!!
250Hz: R: 20dB/L: 35dB, 500Hz: R: 20dB/L: 25dB, 1000Hz: R: 20dB/L: 30dB, 2000Hz: 35dB/L: 45dB, 3000Hz: R: 50dB/L: 40dB, 4000Hz: R:55dB/L: 50, 6000: R:75dB/L: 65dB & 8000Hz: R: 40dB/L: 50dB..... Bone Conduction of just the Left Ear: 750Hz: 15dB, 1500Hz: 25dB, 2000Hz: 40dB, 3500Hz: 35dB & 8000Hz: 50dB.

& at the bottom it says: SRT: L: 20dB/R: 15dB, MCL: L: 65dB/R: 60dB & Discrim %: L: 105%/R: 100%.
My tests were done in a Booth using an Amp Audiometer Make & A-10 Model while wearing Headphones.

Thank you to everyone that can dissect my Test... Trust me I've tried! Also, I hope my info helps other people that are looking into Medicaid/Govt Benefits! Goodluck!!

First I'd look for another audiologist just to be sure (and make sure it is one who doesn't 'give away' when he pushes the button- that's bad).

reading this...

250Hz: R: 20dB/L: 35dB
500Hz: R: 20dB/L: 25dB
1000Hz: R: 20dB/L: 30dB
2000Hz: 35dB/L: 45dB
3000Hz: R: 50dB/L: 40dB
4000Hz: R:55dB/L: 50dB
6000Hz: R:75dB/L: 65dB
8000Hz: R: 40dB/L: 50dB

Bone Conduction of just the Left Ear: 750Hz: 15dB, 1500Hz: 25dB, 2000Hz: 40dB, 3500Hz: 35dB & 8000Hz: 50dB.

& at the bottom it says: SRT: L: 20dB/R: 15dB, MCL: L: 65dB/R: 60dB & Discrim %: L: 105%/R: 100%.

I don't know if that is with or without hearing aids (though I'm guessing without) your averages come out to Right: 25dB and Left: 34dB. That's a slight to mild hearing loss.
Not sure what's going on with the discrim % if your boyfriend said you missed words/said the wrong words because your scores says it's perfect (though 105%? that's..hmmm...). With that big dip at 6000Hz, hearing aids might be of some benefits.

Hope this helps a little bit. That said I'm not sure what in the world a doctor/audiologist was doing at a farmer's market... ???. Find an audiologist associated with a hospital or their own clinic. Every audio I've been to I've been told Hz/dB numbers for mine, % is not exactly definitive.

Back