Why everyone have to hate people with CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Deaf people feel betrayed

You mean they're audilogically hoh, but ID as Deaf?

Yes. They can hear well enough to have a spoken conversation (some with hearing aids, some without) but they also sign and identify with the Deaf community.

Yes. They can hear well enough to have a spoken conversation (some with hearing aids, some without) but they also sign and identify with the Deaf community.

I know plenty of those. Usually raised orally, educated in the mainstream, were convinced that their existence was all hunkey dorey. Then they grew up, realized something very important that all humans need was missing in their life, and set about finding it. Now they ID as Deaf.:)

jillo, I KNOW. It irrirates the crap out of me that hoh kids are thought to not need ASL or Deaf ed or Sign. I have a feeling a TON of those kids who are being served via Clarke/CID/St. Joseph's EI are going to grow up just like us....
Sure there are SOME kids who are hardcore oral and don't feel like they need ASL, but you know what? I will bet you dollars to donuts that a lot of the same phenonoma happened when hearing aids started coming into use.
I also have no clue WHY they even push the myth that solotaire mainstreaming is better then deaf school/program. That is based on VERY outdated assumptions
I do have to say that I think it's super sad that Clarke and CID are dying.......although they are oral, they did have a great program, and they also had a really good sense of community...and everyhting was there.....and the teachers KNEW how to teach dhh kids.

Exactly how does a Cochlear Implant affect deaf people who choose not to consider one? What exactly is the consequence on their "wellbeing"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I personally dont remember hating other deaf people without implants.

It seems you don't experience oppression. I hope you don't... But if you never experience it before, you must be lucky!

As for my experience, yes, I'd seen some people is like that. But it was not a hate. It was more of insult or even avoid them... A few former students, from my old school, they looked down on some non-implant students. That was when I was in middle school. Even I know one person, from my old Deaf school, has her adopted sister and she don't really like Deaf people... But I'm glad that is now changed during my high school and after graduation... I hope it keeps that way... for ever.

With the apparent reduction of "deaf schools' will the feeling of being "oppressed" decrease amongst the "older deaf population"?
How about all Late deafened persons who where never in "deaf schools" re being "oppressed".
Again is this just Sociology - culture section-which is usually discussed re "race"-however defined in some countries?

With the apparent reduction of "deaf schools' will the feeling of being "oppressed" decrease amongst the "older deaf population"?
How about all Late deafened persons who where never in "deaf schools" re being "oppressed".
Again is this just Sociology - culture section-which is usually discussed re "race"-however defined in some countries?

You misread me. I said "at my old school" and "at my old Deaf school" in my quote.

Last edited:
I didn't misread you at all. Just asked to consider what happens to latedeafened persons. I suspect make up a far greater subset of the "deaf population".

no, its because CI wearers considers CI and speech as more important than Sign, it is almost as if they choose the hearing way over the Deaf way...simple.

no, its because CI wearers considers CI and speech as more important than Sign, it is almost as if they choose the hearing way over the Deaf way...simple.

Grummer, there may be many CI wearers who don't value speech over sign, but simply assign some value to spoken language, in addition to sign language.

Is this "distorted thinking" that a "cultural deaf person" is presuming that anyone getting a Cochlear Implant is affecting THEM PERSONALLY?
On what rational basis is this possible?

Is this "distorted thinking" that a "cultural deaf person" is presuming that anyone getting a Cochlear Implant is affecting THEM PERSONALLY?
On what rational basis is this possible?

No more so than someone thinking that the Culturally Deaf are somehow affecting the CI users.:cool2: I see more "hating" going on toward the Deaf Community lately than I see regarding CI.

I know plenty of those. Usually raised orally, educated in the mainstream, were convinced that their existence was all hunkey dorey. Then they grew up, realized something very important that all humans need was missing in their life, and set about finding it. Now they ID as Deaf.:)

This is me to the CORE!

I just wish more parents realized how much they deprive their child if they don't allow them to learn ASL and interact with the Deaf community. Even if you implant them, I don't care. Parents just need to remember that their child is deaf, no matter what device they might put on them. They need to remember that those children want to see other people like them, and NEED to see role models that are deaf. The CI itself doesn't bother me. It's the attitude some people have about getting it or using it that bothers me.

I look at CIs like guns.

Guns don't kill people... people do.

Cochlear implants don't change people... people change themselves.

Deaf children getting CIs as infants or toddlers? Blame the parents for deciding to do it instead of accepting the fact that their child is deaf... and/or the doctors for even encouraging the parents to get CIs for their children.

I've lost a few friends at RIT/NTID because they got CIs. When they got CIs, they suddenly considered themselves "hearing", stopped using sign language, started relying more on oral communication (even though they had the "deaf voice"), and hanging out only with the hearing crowd (even though the hearies avoid those CIers). Am I going to blame the CIs? No, I blame those friends who allowed themselves to change for worse.

This is me to the CORE!

I just wish more parents realized how much they deprive their child if they don't allow them to learn ASL and interact with the Deaf community. Even if you implant them, I don't care. Parents just need to remember that their child is deaf, no matter what device they might put on them. They need to remember that those children want to see other people like them, and NEED to see role models that are deaf. The CI itself doesn't bother me. It's the attitude some people have about getting it or using it that bothers me.

And those are my strong beliefs as well!

I look at CIs like guns.

Deaf children getting CIs as infants or toddlers? Blame the parents for deciding to do it instead of accepting the fact that their child is deaf... and/or the doctors for even encouraging the parents to get CIs for their children.

I've lost a few friends at RIT/NTID because they got CIs. When they got CIs, they suddenly considered themselves "hearing", stopped using sign language, started relying more on oral communication (even though they had the "deaf voice"), and hanging out only with the hearing crowd (even though the hearies avoid those CIers). Am I going to blame the CIs? No, I blame those friends who allowed themselves to change for worse.

Same here. I've had casual friends suddenly stop associating with non-CI people once they had their implants. I remember the reason given by one when I asked him why he no longer hangs out with us at deaf meets: "It is because they want to stay deaf, and that is stupid!" :roll:

I look at CIs like guns.

My parents got me implanted at age 2, does that not allow my parents accept the fact that I am deaf? They got it because just maybe, maybe I would love to have a CI when i get older. If not I can just take the processor off.

First few years of implanting a baby is like training a dog. The earlier you get them to be implanted, the better (likely in many cases) oral speech they are going to have when they get older. Same with puppies, training them is easy at first, as they get older, it will become harder and harder to make them trained.

People that get CI (recently my ex who is at RIT) start to hang out with other crowds because they can be able to diverse with people since they can hear others. They can always come back to the deaf crowd if they want. So yeah implants do change people themselves, but dont feel like they turned against you.

I just dont see how its a change for the worst, they (as you described) are more social.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back