Why everyone have to hate people with CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Implants arent good in a noisy environment for me (or any other deaf person with HA's or CI's) And I use ASL to communicate with my parents
Parents of oral deaf kids who may be lurking........When we get down to the nitty gritty of things, the world is NOT a soundbooth...........and despite the myth, hoh kids don't " belong more to the hearing world" We belong EQUALLY to both the hearing and deaf worlds.

I have a cochlear implant and while it's been a long hard road(probably my expectations are increasing as I get older, but I know I shouldn't), I wouldn't change it for the world. I do sign with deaf friends, and hang around with Deaf people. I don't think Deaf Culture is changing, Deaf clubs are still open, people are still using sign language, there's even plans to include BSL in the GCSE's!!

They way I see it your still Deaf or HoH even with a CI/HA. Just like I am still half blind with out my glasses.

Who wants to teach me ASL? I really want to learn. Lost my hearing 4 years ago and have moderate severe loss in my right so I understand speech okay but, want to learn ASL for when I go to college. Yeah, I am late on college but, the hearing loss made a little hard for me.

Ug... CI people suck! They are like not even fully human. They remind me of the Borg. All they want to do is to hear!! They babble on and on about hearing birds and toilet flushing and how it makes them happy. Ugg... get a life.

They even have a lump on their head!!! YUCK!!! It turns me off.

Well I'm glad you were joking around.

I don't know anyone who hates someone just because they have a CI.

Who we "hate" are people who think that cochlear implants are a "cure" for deafness and will magically transform a deaf person into a typical hearing person.

Who we "hate" are people who think that cochlear implants are a "cure" for deafness and will magically transform a deaf person into a typical hearing person.

It's only people who are not familiar with how CIs work who mistakenly think they are a "cure" for deafness and will transform a deaf person into a typically hearing person. Those who wear a CI or who are raising a child with a CI don't need to hate those who call or think of it as a cure, we just need to continue to inform those around us that this is a tool that provided access to sound in a very different way, that we or our children are still deaf, and don't hear in the same way that typical hearing people do.

It's only people who are not familiar with how CIs work who mistakenly think they are a "cure" for deafness and will transform a deaf person into a typically hearing person. Those who wear a CI or who are raising a child with a CI don't need to hate those who call or think of it as a cure, we just need to continue to inform those around us that this is a tool that provided access to sound in a very different way, that we or our children are still deaf, and don't hear in the same way that typical hearing people do.
That for someone who grew up with hearing aids, I tend to tell those that grew up with me "It's not a cure but a step".

So right. I have often said that I don't hate CI. I have CI being used as an excuse to deprive deaf children by keeping them in an oral only environment.

Then I know a lot of hearing parents who need to stop saying things like "My child is deaf but he/she hears." Because statements like that do nothing more than continue to misperceptions.

Then I know a lot of hearing parents who need to stop saying things like "My child is deaf but he/she hears." Because statements like that do nothing more than continue to misperceptions.

I think that statement can be expanded for clarity to something like "I am / My child is deaf but I hear / she hears in a different way using CIs."

I think that statement can be expanded for clarity to something like "I am / My child is deaf but I hear / she hears in a different way using CIs."

Ah, but rarely is it clarified, and clarification is only meaningful if one has a decent understanding of what deafness is and how it affects the world of the deaf child.

Which is why I said in another thread that I think it would be better for everybody if those with cochlear implants were simply regarded as deaf. For that matter, I know some people who self identify as Deaf even though their natural hearing is better than anybody with a cochlear implant.

It's only people who are not familiar with how CIs work who mistakenly think they are a "cure" for deafness and will transform a deaf person into a typically hearing person.
I'm not talking about people who are simply ignorant (such as my well-meaning friends who find out that my son is Deaf and innocently ask if I've ever heard of cochlear implants), I'm talking about those who stubbornly base their position on the belief that a person's value is defined by their ability to hear and speak.

Which is why I said in another thread that I think it would be better for everybody if those with cochlear implants were simply regarded as deaf. For that matter, I know some people who self identify as Deaf even though their natural hearing is better than anybody with a cochlear implant.

I agree. In my younger days I had deaf friends who referred to me as "hard-of-hearing." I took issue with it and felt quite angry, since it was based on my speech and they sort of scoffed while saying it. Times change, but some things never do, I guess.

It is that very same view that I hate. That view allows the oppression against deaf people to continue.

I think it's the question of where deaf begins and hard of hearing ends. Deaf people can be functionally hoh, with enough amplification.
Traditionally hoh kids have been oralized to the max b/c of Milan. Which EFFING SUCKS.
For that matter, I know some people who self identify as Deaf even though their natural hearing is better than anybody with a cochlear implant.
You mean they're audilogically hoh, but ID as Deaf?
I know some hearing people who use ASL as a primary language b/c of things like apraxia, CP or tracheostomies or whatever.......

Who cares weather you have heaing aids, implants, or going solo!? Its just deaf/hard of hearing, no big difference.

People that choose to hear get hearing aids and/or implants, and live life hearing, and those who dont choose to hear live their life as well.

In the end, we're all hard of hearing/deaf, does it matter?

What I think the OP is trying to say is, why, those who go solo hate those who want to hear. because it does seem that those who go solo do make hearing seem negative. Yes you have your view on it, but dont be pushing it in someones face.

I say my opinions on how amazing implants are, and then get flamed, same with those who are parents that decided to get implants for their kids.

And those who are solo without hearing, say how amazing life is not to hear, and you have many tools that access you.

Great! Now lets just say opinions and not flame the other side. my 2cents

I personally dont remember hating other deaf people without implants.

But you guys and your so called "medical field" is somewhat bull. People get CI cause they want to hear other than being told that ASL is dying; even though that not true cause a lot of deaf people will learn asl no matter if they can hear through CI or not. People with CI will eventually get to a point where they will learn and speak english, thats all.

I personally dont feel the need to learn ASl yet since I have a hearing tool.

I just dont get the scare of losing ASL, its not going away any time soon

what if you want to meet deaf people and they use ASL?

what if you want to meet deaf people and they use ASL?

Oh well for me i guess. I am going to a deaf camp this summer for the first time ever in many years, i know for sure that probably half will be ASL. But thats only for a week, I dont intereact with many deaf people through-out the years and i dont really care. people are people. I got 3 deaf friends, all implant users, speak and dont know asl as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back