Why do deaf people treat their own so wrong?

jasin

Reaction score
When I was being denied my deaf rights it was not a deaf person who came to my defense it was a hearing person.

The deaf would not really do anything for me. Its like, if it did not benefit them personally then why should they do anything for me? Its really sad how the deaf treat their own fellow deafies in the community.

If I may ask, how did you try to communicate to your deaf community what was happening to you?

I noticed your topic "Why do deaf people treat their own so wrong? " Well, from being around deaf and hearing both a bit the same. But when you are involved with deaf and hoh some of them don't always agree on a person view or ideas. Other times they can't get along out of jealousy. Sometimes even share negative view and aruge and take it too far or the lack of educations. I think everybody view is different no matter how a person try to get along with another person. :)

When I was being denied my deaf rights it was not a deaf person who came to my defense it was a hearing person.

The deaf would not really do anything for me. Its like, if it did not benefit them personally then why should they do anything for me? Its really sad how the deaf treat their own fellow deafies in the community.

What kind of situation were you in? Most of the time, deaf people will be united as evidently seen during DPN #1 and #2.

I think comparing to hearing people, deaf people are a bit less empathic with certain situations.

But that is based on my experiences, due to traits that deaf people carry, such as bluntness, share news/rumors so easily, aggressive rather than passive, and so on.

It's almost like they don't really think before they act.
That's why I sometimes feel like I am strange in deaf community because I think before I act and I think of other person's feeling before I do something so rashly. I was even criticized by deaf people due to my passive (laid back I guess) nature.

I am not saying it's a bad thing, but you got to be prepared so you don't hurt yourself.

One of good traits I do see in deaf people are that they are so frakin' passion and united when stirred to anger or determined about something. If you know how, use it to your own advantage.

I think comparing to hearing people, deaf people are a bit less empathic with certain situations.

But that is based on my experiences, due to traits that deaf people carry, such as bluntness, share news/rumors so easily, aggressive rather than passive, and so on.

It's almost like they don't really think before they act.
That's why I sometimes feel like I am strange in deaf community because I think before I act and I think of other person's feeling before I do something so rashly. I was even criticized by deaf people due to my passive (laid back I guess) nature.

I am not saying it's a bad thing, but you got to be prepared so you don't hurt yourself.

One of good traits I do see in deaf people are that they are so frakin' passion and united when stirred to anger or determined about something. If you know how, use it to your own advantage.

The problem within our culture is not the hearing people who try an become a part of it its our own people. We do not defend and stand up for our own people. Many deafs actually do or say things that are very insulting towards other deafs. I see it on here all the time and its very shocking.

its called mindless action, it manifested itself into horizontal violence, the violence doesnt have to be physical, it includes verbal (sign), emotional (this includes emotional blackmails), social, and spousal violence. Often in the latter hearing dont recognise how serious it is in the deaf community they seem to amount it to lack of 'education' or 'its in deaf cutlure - 'we dont understand it, so they (hearing and deaf) do nothing about it.

it is also from a distorted form of consciousness they tend to blame 'real peope within close range for things happening beyond their control, yet again when trying to justify their actions they go back and say its money, 'we cant do this because we have no money' so it goes

The problem within our culture is not the hearing people who try an become a part of it its our own people. We do not defend and stand up for our own people. Many deafs actually do or say things that are very insulting towards other deafs. I see it on here all the time and its very shocking.

a sad example of self-denial.

The one and only time deafs in America ever really came together in defense of each other demanding something was in 1988 during dpn.

i think 95% of the way a fellow deafie is treated by others in the deaf community has alot to do with the way they present themselves. i've been a member of my local deaf and deafblind community since 1995 and i never came across anyone who treated me in a disrespectful or hurtful manner. i wonder if some deafies want to place the blame on others when they should in fact be placing the blame on themselves.

People simply disagree sometimes. I have had enough negative experiences with other deaf people outside of the internet to know that there will never be an united deaf community (at least not where I am).

I may be deaf and use ASL but I am unique and I have my own form of culture and my own way of life. I prefer not to be herded in with sheep of any kind (deaf or hearing).

i think 95% of the way a fellow deafie is treated by others in the deaf community has alot to do with the way they present themselves. i've been a member of my local deaf and deafblind community since 1995 and i never came across anyone who treated me in a disrespectful or hurtful manner. i wonder if some deafies want to place the blame on others when they should in fact be placing the blame on themselves.

:gpost:

My mother always told me, "It is never the oppressor who is your worst enemy, it is the person standing next to you."

I never believed her until I worked for a place where several people wanted to join the union. One of the people who declared himself for the idea gathered up all the names of those involved, and those who knew about it but were not involved (but did not report it) -- and turned them into the boss who fired us all.

His only reward was he was allowed to continue to work there -- without a union and few if any friends.

On the other hand every Deaf person I've had close personal contact with has been someone I like and admire.

My mother always told me, "It is never the oppressor who is your worst enemy, it is the person standing next to you."

I never believed her until I worked for a place where several people wanted to join the union. One of the people who declared himself for the idea gathered up all the names of those involved, and those who knew about it but were not involved (but did not report it) -- and turned them into the boss who fired us all.

His only reward was he was allowed to continue to work there -- without a union and few if any friends.

On the other hand every Deaf person I've had close personal contact with has been someone I like and admire.

I will second that, and the number has been many.

People simply disagree sometimes. I have had enough negative experiences with other deaf people outside of the internet to know that there will never be an united deaf community (at least not where I am).

I may be deaf and use ASL but I am unique and I have my own form of culture and my own way of life. I prefer not to be herded in with sheep of any kind (deaf or hearing).

Well said. Thanks for your comments.

:gpost:

Yeah... I feel the same thing sometimes... Maybe I'm just being passive and am seem so cheap sometimes but I just can't stand it how d/Deaf fools do that. =/

But, what surprises me mostly is when during or after college they still treat me differently. I was like, oh wow, are they an adult or a young teen? That's so low because it's a shame, y'know. :(

Hmm...

My mother always taught me: NEVER let someone else make their problems your problems.

Many, many people who are angry, insecure, hurt, low self esteem, rejected, guilt ridden, disappointed, tend to want to pass on their problems to others by making others feel the same way. Sometimes this is only a short term thing, an hour, a day, a week, when they are hit the hardest. This is common behavior and is easy to fall into, but try not to do it yourself.

For other people it is a life long pattern.

Many, if not most of these people would not have problems themselves if they had not unwittingly accepted them from someone else. Thus the vast majority of mental and emotional problems are passed on from person to person in the same way a germ or a flu virus is passed on.

But unlike a germ or a virus once you know you have a choice, then you do have a choice.

Recognize it is their problem, not your problem.

Reject the emotions and ideas they attempt to foster in you. Refuse to feel, think, or react, as they would have you do.

When they leave picture them dragging all their mental and emotional burdens after them. If any single thing is left behind, no matter how insignificant, picture kicking it away from you.

You don't want it.

Back