Why do deaf people treat their own so wrong?

Originally Posted by Grummer
yep, and social work classes?!! thats new here in New Zealand, social work is basically chucked out, and replaced with the stinking "service co-ordinator" real bad news.... fucking moronic know-it-all deafies get some job oppurtunities do ing that But they are also puppets to the " hyped up success" bullshit

I may not be understanding your post clearly but I have a question..what's wrong with deaf people having job opportunities?

I am same with shel90, I don't understand clearly what you are trying to imply.

then we may need to start looking at what does Deafhood really means

I know Deafhood isn't this bitter attitude of pulling people down, this all too familiar crab theory and I know Deafhood is what this community is about. Encouraging each other, sharing our d/Deaf experiences.

If you want to know, I'm going through a rough patch financially and have been several months but I haven't let that get to me.

I encourage people to keep looking for employment or even consider going back to college.

I'm starting college and applied for funding, I was lucky to get two grants and the rest I pay back after I graduate.

Hubby hasn't had luck finding employment but that doesn't make him bitter. We both collect government assistance and I collect disability.

Just yesterday we went to the food bank for the first time because we had no food and we weren't going to get our gov't money until the end of the month.

Was I embarrassed to go to the food bank? No! I was hungry and I needed to eat. There's no shame in that. There were many people at the food bank, they were like you and me.

Poor and hungry, wanting to get some food.

I sincerely hope things will look better for you Grummer, hang in there!

I know things will get better for hubby and me so things should get better for you and what's been bothering you.

:hug:

I was trying to say some of the d/Deaf working in there are only hand picked because they will do what they're told and that is not making it any easier for d/Deaf, except modes of communications and probably easier for the hearing.
However, nothing else really emphasise on improving deaf peoples lives, its more about assisting hearing institutions telling us what to do, and what we cant do. By this, it is the way how these hand-picked d/Deaf staffs elicted a certain favourable conformity behaviours both in the style of duties to be directed and in the ideological mindsets, regarding the attitudes toward work and politics placed on higher priority over (deaf)rights. But indeed linguistic issues are political matters but as far as implementation of structural configuration of the wider society are left unquestioned, educators (those on the board, and administration level) understood the use of appropriate language
working well for deaf students not only provide good educational results but also economic sense in terms of time and effort to teach deaf students are seen as efficient. Everything else is not considered into the picture and neither the consequences have on d/Deaf people exposure to the real world after (and outside) the schooling years.

Last edited:
Dunno. There's set of rules (especially code of ethic) that all people have to follow when entering social work field regardless whether you are deaf or not. This is to ensure that all human beings are treated with dignity and to ensure they get justice they deserved, of course depending on each situation you were faced with.

Are all social workers perfect? No, of course not but that doesn't mean all of them won't do the job they are supposed to do.

Ain't at most places you have to do what you were told anyway especially rules and laws? It doesn't matter if you are deaf or not.

A good social worker would be one that will be able to change thing for greater good. So if the rule or code of ethic for one situation doesn't suit everyone involved, especially when injustice is done to your client, you should be able to work with others to change it.

So I dunno what it's like over there, but it seems to be different over here. So don't stereotyped all before getting to know them first.

Dunno. There's set of rules (especially code of ethic) that all people have to follow when entering social work field regardless whether you are deaf or not. This is to ensure that all human beings are treated with dignity and to ensure they get justice they deserved, of course depending on each situation you were faced with.

of course theres 'code of ethics' but I wouldnt take it as granted, in so saying this, it is NOT absences of any political influences.
On the surface codes of ethic is portrayed as a set of rules insisting this sort of 'treat everyone the same' mentality and praxis, but in reality it is just a adoption of how we 'act' in the process which at the end, doesnt give equal weight to the clients, only in exceptional circumstances.

Are all social workers perfect? No, of course not but that doesn't mean all of them won't do the job they are supposed to do.

Ah, a variation of an Ad Hominem, of course there is a lot of debate on this subject of effectiveness of social work as a profession, but the best scholars believe while in face of numerous mistaken conception of what to expect from social workers as 'being a miracle worker', shouldn't be used against the clients, social work is very difficult work, forever inquirying situations with a set of special knowledge and applying skills of social negotiation on behalf of clients to address policies which are seen as socially harmful. Like Police work but without the brute force and operating higher up in the administrative level, so of course results are not always going to be forthcoming.

Ain't at most places you have to do what you were told anyway especially rules and laws? It doesn't matter if you are deaf or not.

This is no excuse for conformity. deaf or hearing, we all are going to be faced with unwanted institutional harm of some form or another.

A good social worker would be one that will be able to change thing for greater good. So if the rule or code of ethic for one situation doesn't suit everyone involved, especially when injustice is done to your client, you should be able to work with others to change it.

yes, but social work is nearly like lawyer work, which means you couldn't expect to be to work with everybody as in a amicable manner, there will be disagreements, and this has sometimes has to be put aside and worry about what is best for the clients - not for 'everybody' which might mean compromising that justice sought.

So I dunno what it's like over there, but it seems to be different over here. So don't stereotyped all before getting to know them first.

I don't stereotype, it is not appropriate, not even when doing sociology. Like Sociology, Social workers are trained to combat stereotyping. However, granted it is not exactly the same manner, since sociologist takes notes and even attempt to measure (when doing quantative social research) stereotypical phenomenon in the process that as a means to ends to explain why or what is happening in society. Social work is liken a personalised agency which serves to amerilorate circumstances that affects certain individual(s) in a case.

thats about it for my 2 cents

Back