Why do deaf people treat their own so wrong?

I usually avoid deaf people who live off SSDI checks and always hang out at deaf club. They always talk about bad stuff, use vulgar words too often and talk about how life are depressed. Worse thing is try recruit you into "scam" stuff as tell you it is best than have real jobs.

I usually avoid deaf people who live off SSDI checks and always hang out at deaf club. They always talk about bad stuff, use vulgar words too often and talk about how life are depressed. Worse thing is try recruit you into "scam" stuff as tell you it is best than have real jobs.

I'm working as hard as I can earning credentials and learning new skills in order to get a "real job" in the hearing world and on the hearing world's terms because there's nothing fun about getting free money, it isn't easy, and there is no pride in it. There are tremendous restrictions placed on that money by the government because of people who don't care that they are living off of other people's taxes, and I'm convinced that's not the majority of recipients. I always talk about ponies, which I don't consider to be "bad stuff," and I never use vulgar words. I find them to be uncivilised and immature. I suspect that once I do get that elusive job out there, I will have a lot more control over my life, thereby making it significantly better. I have never been involved in any kind of scam. I'm a highly educated law-abiding mature adult doing the best I can to carry my own weight in this world, and unfortunately, I can't do that without somebody accepting my application and hiring me. I'm strongly convinced that the majority of people who accept government aid would much rather earn their own income if they only could. When I get my job, and I will, I won't forget what it was like to accept government aid, and I will never accuse its general recipients of being scam artists, lazy, dishonest, profane, etcetera, and I won't blame them for having no rich lifestyle from which to glean positive topics of conversation.

Last edited:
I'm working as hard as I can earning credentials and learning new skills in order to get a "real job" in the hearing world and on the hearing world's terms because there's nothing fun about getting free money, it isn't easy, and there is no pride in it. There are tremendous restrictions placed on that money by the government because of people who don't care that they are living off of other people's taxes, and I'm convinced that's not the majority of recipients. I always talk about ponies, which I don't consider to be "bad stuff," and I never use vulgar words. I find them to be uncivilised and immature. I suspect that once I do get that elusive job out there, I will have a lot more control over my life, thereby making it significantly better. I have never been involved in any kind of scam. I'm a highly educated law-abiding mature adult doing the best I can to carry my own weight in this world, and unfortunately, I can't do that without somebody accepting my application and hiring me. I'm strongly convinced that the majority of people who accept government aid would much rather earn their own income if they only could. When I get my job, and I will, I won't forget what it was like to accept government aid, and I will never accuse its general recipients of being scam artists, lazy, dishonest, profane, etcetera, and I won't blame them for having no rich lifestyle from which to glean positive topics of conversation from.
Good posting.

To stereotype all deaf people who collect ssi like that is unfair. There r a lot of good deaf people who want to work but are just down on theior luck.

When I was being denied my deaf rights it was not a deaf person who came to my defense it was a hearing person.

The deaf would not really do anything for me. Its like, if it did not benefit them personally then why should they do anything for me? Its really sad how the deaf treat their own fellow deafies in the community.

What exactly do you want deaf people to do for you? You want us to go out on the streets and riot because your rights been denied? Each of us had experienced the same walks that you had gone through and the solution is to stand up for yourself and explain the ADA procedures. ;)

I will speak as a DeafBlind person that has been discriminated by both the Deaf and hearing community.

I will not allow myself to whine or moan because I have far better things to do with my time.

I advocate for disability rights and I use my time to educate the general population about everyone's rights - this means yours, mine and ours!

When a person puts me down, I remain calm and keep my composure. I remind that person tactfully that I am able to do things just as well as a sighted & hearing person can do ONLY I take a bit more time.

This is where open communication is needed. Whining about "deaf rights" does not work because there is no such thing about "deaf rights" when it is all about "human rights".

We all fall under one same category - human.

Deaf, Blind, Deaf/Blind, physically handicapped, developmentally challenged - we all are human.

It is better to work together as a collective than to work alone.

Instead of using "I, me, mine", try to use "We, ours, yours and mine", key emphasis on collective.

Smile. :)

What exactly do you want deaf people to do for you? You want us to go out on the streets and riot because your rights been denied? Each of us had experienced the same walks that you had gone through and the solution is to stand up for yourself and explain the ADA procedures. ;)

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You say no deaf person has ever been helped by another, so why should that ever change? :hmm:

The hearing community is who I finally had to turn to, and they are helping me. They were also able to think of methods less absurd than rioting in the streets!

I can't use the ADA because no deaf person will tell me how, and no hearing person has experience with it, and it's the hearing who are coming to my aid. Oh I know my rights, but what am I supposed to do? Accuse every employer who does not respond to my application of discrimination? See, I can be absurd too! Who am I supposed to explain the ADA procedures to? Oh, and who was supposed to explain them to me?

If somebody with the same rights as you have under the same law is being denied his rights, why wouldn't you protest it?

I will speak as a DeafBlind person that has been discriminated by both the Deaf and hearing community.

I will not allow myself to whine or moan because I have far better things to do with my time.

I advocate for disability rights and I use my time to educate the general population about everyone's rights - this means yours, mine and ours!

When a person puts me down, I remain calm and keep my composure. I remind that person tactfully that I am able to do things just as well as a sighted & hearing person can do ONLY I take a bit more time.

This is where open communication is needed. Whining about "deaf rights" does not work because there is no such thing about "deaf rights" when it is all about "human rights".

Deaf, Blind, Deaf/Blind, physically handicapped, developmentally challenged - we all are human.

Instead of using "I, me, mine", try to use "We, ours, yours and mine", key emphasis on collective.

:gpost:

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You say no deaf person has ever been helped by another, so why should that ever change? :hmm:

The hearing community is who I finally had to turn to, and they are helping me. They were also able to think of methods less absurd than rioting in the streets!

I can't use the ADA because no deaf person will tell me how, and no hearing person has experience with it, and it's the hearing who are coming to my aid. Oh I know my rights, but what am I supposed to do? Accuse every employer who does not respond to my application of discrimination? See, I can be absurd too! Who am I supposed to explain the ADA procedures to? Oh, and who was supposed to explain them to me?

If somebody with the same rights as you have under the same law is being denied his rights, why wouldn't you protest it?

You are not alone. No deaf ever helped me.

We have been helping you a lot in this board and again, you need to stop with the apathetic "No deaf person ever helped me" because as a collective, AD'ers have banded together to assist you.

Drop the apathy, it will derail and drag you.

We have been helping you a lot in this board and again, you need to stop with the apathetic "No deaf person ever helped me" because as a collective, AD'ers have banded together to assist you.

Thank u!!!

That wasn't my sentiment. I was rephrasing Cheri to see if I understood correctly. For my part, this board has been very helpful to me in terms of adapting to the social changes in my life. Without the help of this board (or rather the people on it), I would not have had the will to seek the help I needed to make a productive life for myself. I may have even killed myself because from my point of view, my life was a waste of breath. I never enjoyed being a drain on society, and I felt that the world would be a better place without me. By the way, it's far from that now, and I'm happier than ever to be alive. I haven't succeeded yet as a productive member of society, but I'm confident I'm on the right path, and I will succeed, and I'll pay back every penny that I took from the government, and I'll repay them many times over, as I'm sure I already have before I lost my hearing in the first place.

That wasn't my sentiment. I was rephrasing Cheri to see if I understood correctly. For my part, this board has been very helpful to me in terms of adapting to the social changes in my life. Without the help of this board (or rather the people on it), I would not have had the will to seek the help I needed to make a productive life for myself. I may have even killed myself because from my point of view, my life was a waste of breath. I never enjoyed being a drain on society, and I felt that the world would be a better place without me. By the way, it's far from that now, and I'm happier than ever to be alive. I haven't succeeded yet as a productive member of society, but I'm confident I'm on the right path, and I will succeed, and I'll pay back every penny that I took from the government, and I'll repay them many times over, as I'm sure I already have before I lost my hearing in the first place.

I think Mrs. Bucket was referring to Jasin not you.

People simply disagree sometimes. I have had enough negative experiences with other deaf people outside of the internet to know that there will never be an united deaf community (at least not where I am).

I may be deaf and use ASL but I am unique and I have my own form of culture and my own way of life. I prefer not to be herded in with sheep of any kind (deaf or hearing).

I think BradB08 nailed it right there. D/deafies, all of us in one way or other have lived a life of isolation in varying degrees, whether it be in the hearing world or cut off from it. "I am unique and I have my own form of culture and my own way of life." As long as we understand each other on this then we can get along very happily.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm actually letting anybody force me to conform. I guess I'm just doing it because of the economy, and I can't afford to neglect anything that might affect my chances of some day (hopefully soon) being able to make a living.

I like this thread, but I am going to disrupt some of you with a very unpopular view in relation to this quote. I am not yet at the same stage of satisfaction as simplymints (but getting there) but where i differ quite sharply is that I dont respect the government (yours or mine it doesnt matter) I dont think of it as paying back government, for they screwed me over, listened to fuckwits like Deaf advisors, and so called social workers,(now service co-ordinators are even worse) they insist on assimilation and they dont want to bear the thoughts of 'owing us (d/Deaf people anything). The damages to d/Deaf people is far more severe than those stem from race issues. Races in politics is so successful mainly because they are hearing - they CAN fight back, whereas d/Deaf people the remains in the silence, even if some of the d/Deaf are 'successful' its only because a) they were hearing before, or b) not really deaf (regardless if they sign or not that's not the point (( but alot of culturally Deaf fuckwits do show their judgemental behaviour using sign as the measure of 'Deaf-ness'))
c) when half hearing or half-deaf, or indeed deaf, but 'succeed in a particular field of work' but doesnt not wish or see the point to challenge for freedom to a greater range of access but this is an unknown quality so its locks down due to lack of imagination. Access as mentioned in here not just sign language interpreters, a whole lot more, to embrace the power of 'hearing culture' to fully understand the workings of the world so a Deaf person can become a lawyer in any sense at all, not just 'lawyer for the deaf' or limited to 'family law' because the deafness constraint that certain awareness (I dont know its hard to put this to words -I'd leave it at that for now)

but coming back to paying back the government? (sic) nah I think governments owes us an apology bigtime. I dont wish to please the hearing family, community to be a 'goody good shoes' deaf , isnt he wondeful he works pays the tax... just like everyone....if like in movies or in real life we hear or read abont radical hearing talking intellectually about how crooked the governments are , and so (screen character - like public enemy the bug maker on the run from govt with Willis Smith and Gene Hackman) we dont go, 'oh you're stupid' we automatically think they must have a reason. but when it comes to a d/Deaf person to come out with a rebellious attitude we automatically think they wrong! , why is that? its comes down to stereotypes and 'normal expectations'.
so no I couldnt careless about paying back the government but as much as I like to work simply because doing nothing is not a good experience either. I guess some of you might say working and getting paid (and pay tax) is the lesser evil of the two, I suppose so. The whole point is that I dont and shouldn't and no one (those are hoh, or deaf or Deaf) should not feel bad at all !!

I'm working as hard as I can earning credentials and learning new skills in order to get a "real job" in the hearing world and on the hearing world's terms because there's nothing fun about getting free money, it isn't easy, and there is no pride in it. There are tremendous restrictions placed on that money by the government because of people who don't care that they are living off of other people's taxes, and I'm convinced that's not the majority of recipients. I always talk about ponies, which I don't consider to be "bad stuff," and I never use vulgar words. I find them to be uncivilised and immature. I suspect that once I do get that elusive job out there, I will have a lot more control over my life, thereby making it significantly better. I have never been involved in any kind of scam. I'm a highly educated law-abiding mature adult doing the best I can to carry my own weight in this world, and unfortunately, I can't do that without somebody accepting my application and hiring me. I'm strongly convinced that the majority of people who accept government aid would much rather earn their own income if they only could. When I get my job, and I will, I won't forget what it was like to accept government aid, and I will never accuse its general recipients of being scam artists, lazy, dishonest, profane, etcetera, and I won't blame them for having no rich lifestyle from which to glean positive topics of conversation.

I applause you. I completely agree with you. There is nothing fun about getting free money at all, and it takes a lot of independence and self-power away from you.

I am biased because most of my family claim disability pension, and I see their backward reasoning and they gripe about things. Yet they hold me in contempt because I am more "disabled" than they are and I can hold a job down. :roll:

I have nothing against people who need to be on disability because they are unable to find a job that fit their needs. However I do get grumpy about people who turn privileges into rights. So, for the above passage, I applause you and wouldn't mind paying for your privilege in order for you to get your life back on track.

However, one thing I noticed though... segregated disabled, Blind and Deaf people tend to whinge about things and claim and mislabel a few things as discrimination when they are not since hearing people do the same thing to EACH others. However I do not blame them because in order to gain that insight, one would need to live amongst the hearing people to see how their world works.

So as far as "why do deaf people treat their own so wrong." A lot of is not a Deaf culture thing, it is called being humans; and hearing people do the same thing. Unfortunately, self-entitlement is rampant in society today and is causing a few societal problems that people are having a hard time adapting to.

Ahhh souggy.. I just want to :hug: you SO hard for saying those words because this is what I have been feeling for such a long time but cannot say it as everyone has a right to their own feelings - good and bad.

Once again, thank you! :hug:

I applause you. I completely agree with you. There is nothing fun about getting free money at all, and it takes a lot of independence and self-power away from you.

I am biased because most of my family claim disability pension, and I see their backward reasoning and they gripe about things. Yet they hold me in contempt because I am more "disabled" than they are and I can hold a job down. :roll:

I have nothing against people who need to be on disability because they are unable to find a job that fit their needs. However I do get grumpy about people who turn privileges into rights. So, for the above passage, I applause you and wouldn't mind paying for your privilege in order for you to get your life back on track.

However, one thing I noticed though... segregated disabled, Blind and Deaf people tend to whinge about things and claim and mislabel a few things as discrimination when they are not since hearing people do the same thing to EACH others. However I do not blame them because in order to gain that insight, one would need to live amongst the hearing people to see how their world works.

So as far as "why do deaf people treat their own so wrong." A lot of is not a Deaf culture thing, it is called being humans; and hearing people do the same thing. Unfortunately, self-entitlement is rampant in society today and is causing a few societal problems that people are having a hard time adapting to.

I have to say I disagree with you, while i can see where you are coming from, but it seems like you dont believe them, you seem to think its boiled down to personality or some kind of over-dependence that manifests itself into 'whinging'.

Have you ever seen any disability studies texts? I bet you haven't read that much on it.

Back