Why did Gallaudet required biology class before graduation?

I believe that both deaf colleges aren't perfect.

Perhaps, you could attend a community college or university with some interpreters so that you would make some differences.

It is the best enjoyment with deaf students to attend at NTID and Gally. Of course, these colleges have some advances in English and reading which is not easy for most deaf people. However, they are challenged. These schools are actually generic training program. I could be wrong because things might be changed.

You have to make a hard decision because many deaf students lost their job later after their graduation because they spent too much time to social with friends on the campus. Of course, you have to survive by making money for a living. Nothing is free after you finish your school. You don't want to spend your money, then stay home with your mommy with her hands all the times for rest of your life.

It is a plain stupid to study in biology for an extra fee.

If you are full-time student at Gally then no charge fee for Biology, it's included with tuition fee.

Gally does have more choice than just Biology only.

Jolie77 - I am afraid to open Frankensteins' body in the laboratory even whether if he is alive or not. He would grab my neck if I touch him. The students would panic and run away from us. No one would help me to get out of it.

shel90 - I'm glad to know that you discovered something interesting to you.

I took a psychology class at RIT. It was interesting, but I hate extravagant books especially repeat statements in the books. Isn't that part of Biology? Probably not.

If you are full-time student at Gally then no charge fee for Biology, it's included with tuition fee.

Gally does have more choice than just Biology only.

That's what I like. Hmm. I can't say the words but I say, "Hmm Hmm Hmm." That's Frankenstein's voice - from the movie, "Young Frankenstein".

At Arizona State University, I had to pay an extra fee (for lab) to study biology even though it wasnt my major. I am glad that biology was required cuz I ended up finding it pretty interesting. If it wasnt required, I would have never known that I liked science. Also, I learned a lot.

Most of the physical sciences like biology, anatomy, chemistry, etc. have an added lab fee. That is not unusual at all.

Jillio is right, it has nothing with "Deaf".

FAFSA require college or universities to be accredited, if your school won't accredited then you are more likely to get fee wavier from state, such as VR or related, FAFSA is applies for students who live under low income to middle income, depends on situation. The word is accreditation is stand for meet the quality of education, tell honestly with you, Gally isn't crap education since you got listen to students who had withdraw from Gally and start negative about it, Gally is fully accredited.

If your school isn't accredited then credit would be difficult to be transfer to other college, you have take courses over again in any college, no matters.

Most universities and college require you to take biology or other science courses if require applied, not just only for Gally.

Valid point, Pacman!

However, if your high school offers AP classes, those classes are transferable to college or university. Anything is not AP classes, then its not transferable. AP is college equal level courses offered at high school campus.

I had a lot of gym credit and one year worth of AP. I never took time to transfer, yet I graduated from Gallaudet on time as 4 years flat.

Jolie77 - I am afraid to open Frankensteins' body in the laboratory even whether if he is alive or not. He would grab my neck if I touch him. The students would panic and run away from us. No one would help me to get out of it.

Uh? What does Frankenstein's body have to do with the extra fees of learning biology?

Fail. I have no degree nor am I going for one yet. I still get federal, state, and school grants just because I said one word. "Deaf".

You see, what you said was for people who has no disabilities but no money. It's a lot tougher for those people with no disabilities to go to school nowadays.

Biology is boring, all you do is read and research when in Computer Science, you learn what we are using today and be trained in a lab.

Go watch the movie, "Accepted", it'll show you that a school can be created pretty quite easy, but you gotta put a lots of effort in it by going through legal systems. Normally, one would not be able to create school cause the board would decide that it's not going to benefit us all. I think the movie rocked.

Your sources are unreliable. If you are making a comparison from movie "Accepted", then I am scared to continue reading all of your comments.

Movies, Hollywood, writers love to portrait point of view in sense of what should not happen. The movie, "Accepted", is exactly what we fantasy up on. Easy life, easy road to victory, easy job etc... When reality, its has plenty of road blocks ahead of you. True question for all of us, can we really hurdle over all road blocks in our life time?

College is just another hurdle. Hefty big hurdle and financial burdensome for many. Only few will make it in the end of the race. Even more fewer make it to Masters or PHD level.

Those students who dropped out from college, especially from Gallaudet, love to bash up the true meaning of college education. They have point of view of party, good time, instant gratification, and many other things. If they don't get the gratification they want, they will back stab the place they went to.

I am satisfy my gratification by complete education first, fun second. I had plenty opportunities to explore the world but I knew I needed to complete college first and get out. That skills to obtain and advance far in life. If we ignore and quit the challenges, then we cannot advance far in life.

In fact, I have a goal to retire as fast as possible. I just want to be financial freedom from all liabilities. Keep earning 100k retirement for life without having to work. Not rich... To be rich, is to earn more than $250,000 a year.

Only few will ever think this way. Drop out students often don't. Beside Bill Gate - genius. Michael Dell - genius. Few drop out students make it far in life.

So please don't bash up Gallaudet or any college because its something we need to overcome in order to be successful regardless of being deaf or not. Suck it up and take biology. That class apply to your sport fitness, any physical activities, etc... If you went to doctor and they say you have etc... you will be able to accept the facts and know they are on right track. You become more educated about terminology. Not need to know fully but at least know where to look for when needed to answer questions.

That's my 2 cent!

I believe that both deaf colleges aren't perfect.

Perhaps, you could attend a community college or university with some interpreters so that you would make some differences.

It is the best enjoyment with deaf students to attend at NTID and Gally. Of course, these colleges have some advances in English and reading which is not easy for most deaf people. However, they are challenged. These schools are actually generic training program. I could be wrong because things might be changed.

You have to make a hard decision because many deaf students lost their job later after their graduation because they spent too much time to social with friends on the campus. Of course, you have to survive by making money for a living. Nothing is free after you finish your school. You don't want to spend your money, then stay home with your mommy with her hands all the times for rest of your life.

It is a plain stupid to study in biology for an extra fee.

Biology class falls into General Requirement. Liberal Art university/colleges requires you take general requirements to complete your credits toward graduation. To be full time student, you must take 12 credit total courses, and its flat rate after 12 credit. If you take 12-21 credit, its same fee. However, if you take under 12 credit, you become part time and fees count per credit hours you take.

You can go around biology requirements if you know exactly which major you are taking. I am not sure which major do not require biology class. My major required general requirement of Biology. I took it at Gallaudet and passed with grade A and top two student in classroom. I took exact same class at my high school and I was failing because of wrong attitude. I almost failed my biology because of my closed minded attitude in high school and communication. At Gallaudet, I passed the class with right attitude and full communication. I gave my biology instructor hard time because I was nailing him with questions regard of lesson. My peers loved my approach in classroom. It was a lot fun to challenge my instructor. He was fresh out of master program and in progress of writing thesis. Raymond Merritt (spelling last name?). I also had Carol Solomon (graduate from Harvard) as lab class. Both begged me to major in Biology and I declined.

I just don't want spend a lot time in biology and be in position to play "God". Ethical issues that you will face if you working in that field. I chose not to work in that field and more related out door field. Could have done marine biology but it does not interest me.

At least I saw two different world of hearing and deaf in biology. It's all about attitude. Right now I am seeing negative attitude toward biology, not where it is at. That the reason people fail the class because of their attitude.

In famous quote from Yoda... I cherish it deeply. "Do or Do not, there no try". That define the attitude behind effort in everything in life. Biology is just obstacle in our life and apply in many ways. Our attitude blind us to determine how it apply in our daily life.

Its up to you to decide how you approach every class requirement. We may hate every class we take yet we can be successful. We can whine about every class we take, yet it will help us to prosper.

Another wisdom from Vulcan "Live long and prosper".

Sorry I am quoting a lot from Sci-fi movies and tv series. They do tell a lot hidden messages.

Smiles. Reconsider approach of attitude before bash up any topic.

Valid point, Pacman!

However, if your high school offers AP classes, those classes are transferable to college or university. Anything is not AP classes, then its not transferable. AP is college equal level courses offered at high school campus.

I had a lot of gym credit and one year worth of AP. I never took time to transfer, yet I graduated from Gallaudet on time as 4 years flat.

Thanks, I almost forgot about AP classes, thanks for refresh my memory.

I will plan to enroll at Gally in no more than 2 years.

Your sources are unreliable. If you are making a comparison from movie "Accepted", then I am scared to continue reading all of your comments.

Movies, Hollywood, writers love to portrait point of view in sense of what should not happen. The movie, "Accepted", is exactly what we fantasy up on. Easy life, easy road to victory, easy job etc... When reality, its has plenty of road blocks ahead of you. True question for all of us, can we really hurdle over all road blocks in our life time?

College is just another hurdle. Hefty big hurdle and financial burdensome for many. Only few will make it in the end of the race. Even more fewer make it to Masters or PHD level.

Those students who dropped out from college, especially from Gallaudet, love to bash up the true meaning of college education. They have point of view of party, good time, instant gratification, and many other things. If they don't get the gratification they want, they will back stab the place they went to.

I am satisfy my gratification by complete education first, fun second. I had plenty opportunities to explore the world but I knew I needed to complete college first and get out. That skills to obtain and advance far in life. If we ignore and quit the challenges, then we cannot advance far in life.

In fact, I have a goal to retire as fast as possible. I just want to be financial freedom from all liabilities. Keep earning 100k retirement for life without having to work. Not rich... To be rich, is to earn more than $250,000 a year.

Only few will ever think this way. Drop out students often don't. Beside Bill Gate - genius. Michael Dell - genius. Few drop out students make it far in life.

So please don't bash up Gallaudet or any college because its something we need to overcome in order to be successful regardless of being deaf or not. Suck it up and take biology. That class apply to your sport fitness, any physical activities, etc... If you went to doctor and they say you have etc... you will be able to accept the facts and know they are on right track. You become more educated about terminology. Not need to know fully but at least know where to look for when needed to answer questions.

That's my 2 cent!

I am tired of that too.

:gpost:

shel90 - I'm glad to know that you discovered something interesting to you.

I took a psychology class at RIT. It was interesting, but I hate extravagant books especially repeat statements in the books. Isn't that part of Biology? Probably not.

I think somebody watched too many horror movies. ;)

Valid point, Pacman!

Even MSSD AP English and History?

Even MSSD AP English and History?

I am not familiar with deaf residential schools system. So I have no idea. I think often they take half day at deaf school and half day at hearing school. More likely at hearing school will offer AP classes.

I dont know if MSSD offers since they are far from other schools. Or not... Scratching my head.

I wonder why did gallaudet required stidents to take biology class before they graduated, how is lead this time from the past?

How come did happen that each biology classes get together to take exams three time during evening?

Why did it only show EXAMS 75 % and Classwork, quizzes, homework 25 %?

Is there really fair for students do in biology class?

If you have a problem with this require for class. You need talk to your Admission, academy, or deptemant can explain to you. Don't give up! Keep going and proud of you! You will able to be graduate. :)

Back