Why adults choose CI's for their children

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, is there a need for that? In her life up to now she hasn't bumped into a deaf person.
BTW, she cannot speak with a Japanese person, French, Spanish, German... either...

Is your daughter, Japanese, French, Spanish, or German? No, she isn't. She's deaf. She can converse with a hearing person, but can she converse with someone who signs?

You said "those [bi-lingual] children are not "impaired" in any way, and in fact, are at a higher level cognitively than those who are not bilingual."
So... for a person being bi-lingual is better than uni-lingual....

That's pretty sad for Deaf people speaking only signlanguage, or hearing people speaking only English...

I don't know any deaf people that have only sign language at their disposal. All I know have English at their disposal as well. Therefore, they are bilingual. Simply not using voice in no way implies that they do not use the English language.

The only monolingual deaf people I know are oralists.

Why is that sad?
This girl can hear all the sounds around her. How much does she have in common with the deaf person that cannot hear at all...
Even when Lotte's CI is off, she still hears.! When she reads lips, it is still converted to sounds in her head.! (How cool is that!)

Rude example...
Out of the 2000 interesting persons she meets, 2 are deaf, and 1 of them only uses sign. She won't be able to communicate with that one, but she will be able to communicate with the other 1999.!

No, she doesn't. She relies on her auditory memory. That is NOT the same as hearing. It sounds like she can get along well with and without her CIs, but I still believe you're depriving her of her natural language, which is, sign language.

Oh, well. It's her loss, Cloggy, and that is sad.

No, she doesn't. She relies on her auditory memory. That is NOT the same as hearing. It sounds like she can get along well with and without her CIs, but I still believe you're depriving her of her natural language, which is, sign language.

Oh, well. It's her loss, Cloggy, and that is sad.

That just made me think for a minute. I just turned my hearing aids off and u know what? I can still "hear". Interesting...never thought about that till I saw this post.

I don't know any deaf people that have only sign language at their disposal. All I know have English at their disposal as well. Therefore, they are bilingual. Simply not using voice in no way implies that they do not use the English language.

Yeppers and it has proved by many ADers on AD over and over again. *shrug*

Is your daughter, Japanese, French, Spanish, or German? No, she isn't. She's deaf. She can converse with a hearing person, but can she converse with someone who signs?
Correction, she's Dutch, living in Norway...
What has deaf got to do with it....?

(And I already answered (and mentioned frequently) that she does not know sign..)

I know someone who doesn't have oral skills and relies on sign. It makes things interesting for us (I know very little sign), but we work together and meet each other half way as best we can.

So sad......:(

Especially the picture of the CI's on the door.....

Sad... sad indeed... No hope!

..." The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades "
Shades.jpg

I know someone who doesn't have oral skills and relies on sign. It makes things interesting for us (I know very little sign), but we work together and meet each other half way as best we can.

Yes, I agree..we just have to meet our needs to the best we can instead of one expecting to meet the other person's needs. My deaf brother has no oral skills but he still manages to work with non-signers to make communication effective and due to his personality, the non-signers do find themselves trying to meet his communication needs. He does it better than I do and I am the one with the oral skills! :laugh2:

That just made me think for a minute. I just turned my hearing aids off and u know what? I can still "hear". Interesting...never thought about that till I saw this post.

Yep. Auditory memory. Well known concept in cognitive psychology. It also comes into play regarding word discrimination as applied to speech reading.

Oh geez. Extremism at it's best. :(

Did you see the pictures of it on her cabinet?

Extremism on part the hearing culture in subjecting deaf to wear/use it. Instead of celebrating their deaf child, they want to "fix it".

I thought it was a perfect title--" Cochlear Implants--Auschwitz of the Deaf." If I get banned for that comment--it definately will be worth it.

A Banned Badge of Honor.

Yep. Auditory memory. Well known concept in cognitive psychology. It also comes into play regarding word discrimination as applied to speech reading.

I never knew that! Interesting. So someone with a dB loss of a 110 to 120 is capable of it? Interesting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back