Why adults choose CI's for their children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see the pictures of it on her cabinet?

Extremism on part the hearing culture in subjecting deaf to wear/use it. Instead of celebrating their deaf child, they want to "fix it".

I thought it was a perfect title--" Cochlear Implants--Auschwitz of the Deaf." If I get banned for that comment--it definately will be worth it.

A Banned Badge of Honor.

:shock:

Yes, I agree..we just have to meet our needs to the best we can instead of one expecting to meet the other person's needs. My deaf brother has no oral skills but he still manages to work with non-signers to make communication effective and due to his personality, the non-signers do find themselves trying to meet his communication needs. He does it better than I do and I am the one with the oral skills! :laugh2:

The point is, it takes TWO. I won't buy into this idea that a deafie and a hearie can't be friends. I won't buy into the idea that a signer and non-signer has to be apart. All it takes is an effort made. Once its seen that an effort is made, it makes the other person want to also put effort into make the friendship/relationship work. It's sometimes difficult, but it CAN work!

I never knew that! Interesting. So someone with a dB loss of a 110 to 120 is capable of it? Interesting. :)

Oh, absolutely. What ever you perceive when you are aided will be retained in your auditory memory. So that when you aren't aided, the information is still available to help you discriminate. It doesn't mean that you are "hearing" it without your HA. It just means that you are remembering hearing it before, and connecting the two experiences.

Extremism on part the hearing culture in subjecting deaf to wear/use it. Instead of celebrating their deaf child, they want to "fix it".

I thought it was a perfect title--" Cochlear Implants--Auschwitz of the Deaf." If I get banned for that comment--it definately will be worth it.

A Banned Badge of Honor.

Both of you are wrong. Extremism isn't going to solve anything. :(

The point is, it takes TWO. I won't buy into this idea that a deafie and a hearie can't be friends. I won't buy into the idea that a signer and non-signer has to be apart. All it takes is an effort made. Once its seen that an effort is made, it makes the other person want to also put effort into make the friendship/relationship work. It's sometimes difficult, but it CAN work!

Right...my hearing hubby and I are such a PERFECT example of that. He didnt know sign when we first met 6 years ago. 6 years later, he can sign pretty well but it is SEE. However, his receptive skills in ASL are poor (I cant sign SEE..dont know how! ) so I use spoken English to meet his needs. We are a weird couple but we are proof that when two meet halfway, it can be successful.

That just made me think for a minute. I just turned my hearing aids off and u know what? I can still "hear". Interesting...never thought about that till I saw this post.

Right, Shel. When the CI(s) are off, the child relies on auditory memory.

Both of you are wrong. Extremism isn't going to solve anything. :(

I agree with you, Oceanbreeze. However, I can see how it can get to where you would feel that way...

Shel, That's pretty cool you two have reached that common ground.

A Banned Badge of Honor.
I thought you would think of it like that, so I didn't even bother to report it..

Right...my hearing hubby and I are such a PERFECT example of that. He didnt know sign when we first met 6 years ago. 6 years later, he can sign pretty well but it is SEE. However, his receptive skills in ASL are poor (I cant sign SEE..dont know how! ) so I use spoken English to meet his needs. We are a weird couple but we are proof that when two meet halfway, it can be successful.

So is my friend and I. When we became friends, I told her I would learn sign. She said "You don't have to. We'll make it work." To that, I said..."Well, it would be easier if I learned some sign. I can't promise I'll be fluent, but I'll do what I can..." And, here we are. We've been friends for 18 mos now.

So is my friend and I. When we became friends, I told her I would learn sign. She said "You don't have to. We'll make it work." To that, I said..."Well, it would be easier if I learned some sign. I can't promise I'll be fluent, but I'll do what I can..." And, here we are. We've been friends for 18 mos now.

it has been my experience that the deaf are very accommodating when it applies to overcoming communication barriers. Damned shame I can't say the same thing about the hearing.

Where is this thread heading at?? This thread is title: "Why adults choose CI's for their children?"

I agree with you, Oceanbreeze. However, I can see how it can get to where you would feel that way...

Shel, That's pretty cool you two have reached that common ground.

Agreed too. Thanks! :giggle:

I agree that it sounds like extremism...But when put into context with where this thread has gone, I can also understand it. Implant your kid, make them oral, and do away with deafness!!

:gpost: In that context, you're right. But, to just throw something out and not qualify it, it sounds extreme, which solves nothing.

:gpost: In that context, you're right. But, to just throw something out and not qualify it, it sounds extreme, which solves nothing.

Yea, doesnt do anything any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back