Who loves Math?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked math classes in school and reading about other math topics like fractals and polyhedra.

This equation gives well known and pretty results when iterated on the complex plane with c being the complex number and z starting at 0 for each number c you use:

z = z^2 + c

and getting the results colored by your choice of coloring algorithm.

I built some paper polyhedra before, including the Platonic, Archimedean and Kepler-Poinsot solids.

----

Why is a number raised to 0 equal to 1?

See this: x^n / x^m. For example, make n = 5 and n = 3, so this is

x*x*x*x*x / x*x*x

The x's cancel out to leave x*x or x^2.

This is like writing x^5/x^3 = x^(5-3) = x^2.

What if n and m are the same? Make n=m=3 and we have

x*x*x / x*x*x

or x^3 / x^3
or x^(3-3) = x^0.
Since x^3 on the top is the same as x^3 on the bottom, it is one.

Generally:

x^0 = x^(n-n) = x^n / x^n = 1.

I love math! I am a math major. I graduated with my Ed Degree. I can teach jr/sr high math.

The best thing I learnt in one university math class is how 1+1=0 (and no, one is not negative)

I love math! I am a math major. I graduated with my Ed Degree. I can teach jr/sr high math.

The best thing I learnt in one university math class is how 1+1=0 (and no, one is not negative)
Care to elaborate?

Good job! I'm glad you graduate. :D I'm proud of you. :D

My major going to be Math. :)

What about Geometry, Algebra 2, Trigonometry, Calculus, Physics?

I took Geometry when I was High school.

I go college class

1. Pre-Algebra
2. Intermediate Algebra (algebra 2)
3. College Algebra
4. Pre-Calculus-Algebra (I withdrawn) :(

So, I will going to Gallaudet University - I not know what I will take class till start Ausgust 20 that I will have to take test first then I will take class. I will know for sure. :D

That all I have planned my class. :D

My High School 3.44 GPA
My college 3.21 GPA
My Gallaudet Univerisy is 0.00 GPA - because it start freshman in August 20. :)

I took Geometry when I was High school.

I go college class

1. Pre-Algebra
2. Intermediate Algebra (algebra 2)
3. College Algebra
4. Pre-Calculus-Algebra (I withdrawn) :(

So, I will going to Gallaudet University - I not know what I will take class till start Ausgust 20 that I will have to take test first then I will take class. I will know for sure. :D

That all I have planned my class. :D

My High School 3.44 GPA
My college 3.21 GPA
My Gallaudet Univerisy is 0.00 GPA - because it start freshman in August 20. :)
Ah, I see. Kewl.

I took...

High School
- Algebra (9th grade)
- Geometry (10th grade)
- Algebra 2 (11th grade)
- Pre-Calculus & Trigonometry (12th grade)

Undergraduate in College
- College Algebra
- Calculus
- Technical Calculus I
- Technical Calculus II
- Data Analysis I
- College Physics

Graduate in College
- Statistical Analysis
- Financial Analysis

I think there are a few more, but I can't think of them right now. :dunno:

Middle school & High school:
Courses I-III, New York State's old names for algebra, geometry and trigonometry. I started this series in 8th grade, one year early.
Pre-calculus
AP Calculus AB

RIT:
Calculus II-IV
I got credit from the AP test for calculus I and II, but I took II anyway because I didn't have AP Calculus BC.

Engineering statistics
Differential equations
Matrix algebra
Linear math for imaging science, this involved the Fourier transformation too

Many classes in my imaging science major involved plenty of math, like the detectors, tone transfer function, modulation transfer function and noise classes.

University physics I-III
Modern Physics (special relativity & basic quantum mechanics)
Interaction between light & matter, which is like modern physics II

High school GPA: I don't remember. It was like 95-98% average, giving 3.8-3.9 and making me the salutation of the class.

RIT, College of Science, Imaging Science: 3.21

Booker T. Washington High School
Alg. 1 9th grade
Geo. 10th grade
Alg 2 11th grade
Advance Topic in Math 12th grade- all kind of math.
PJC
College Alg. this year.

9th regular math. (I want Pre-Algerbra) grrr my teacher won't listen to me. :(

10th Pre-Alegebra

11th Algebra 1 - I got all A postive. :D

12th Geometry - very hard and new thing that I got B. :D

College

College pre-Alebra

Intermediate Alg.

College Algebra (Graphic)

That all I have to do my list. What next for Gallaudet class? i dont' know. I will find out. :D

9th regular math. (I want Pre-Algerbra) grrr my teacher won't listen to me. :(

10th Pre-Alegebra

11th Algebra 1 - I got all A postive. :D

12th Geometry - very hard and new thing that I got B. :D

College

College pre-Alebra

Intermediate Alg.

College Algebra (Graphic)

That all I have to do my list. What next for Gallaudet class? i dont' know. I will find out. :D

I guess i am smarter than you. Nah just the pace

hahahaha! When I will get Gallaudet University, I will get smarter than you!

I will get Master Degree or Ph.d. :D

scott, it seems you've spent a LONG time with algebra.

not trying to be mean or anything, but your future coursework will probably be difficult for you and you should take them as slowly as you need to and be sure you have plenty of time to take advantage of tutoring, office hours and anything you can. i spent like 2.5 years with algebra in high school and college. then i moved on to trigonometry, and a year later, calculus. by the time i was in calculus, i had literally forgotten everything from trig, and i eventually withdrew from my second semester of calc. maybe it would have been easier if i'd sped it up in high school.

you could give yourself a head start immediately by buying used trig and calculus textbooks from amazon.com or somewhere (they should have A LOT of them for around $5) or call your nearest college and ask if they have book giveaway days at their library. my library would give away outdated textbooks and magazines 2 or 3 times a semester that they had been keeping on their shelves for like 20 years. they're no use for current classes because all the problems are different, but they're great to just browse and learn what to expect. and they're free ;)

Care to elaborate?

Ok so how does 1+1=0 .... let me explain

I took a class in my ed degree called "Ring Theory" In this class we dealt with Integral domains. If it was an integral domain of 2 than that number system only has 2 number...(0,1)

so if you add 1+1 you have 2, but since you only have two numbers in this system anything even = 0 and anything odd = 1.

so 1+1 = an even number therefore it equals 0!

Make sense? HAHAHA

It sounds cooler before you explain it :giggle:

Well, I will go to Galladuet University ok. I go into New Student Orientation. I will have to take a test for math, reading, English, and ASL. Then will do what I need to take class. :D

I believe maybe start kind of math. I don't know. I will find out. ;)

It hard for me to remember.

It is not my fault. When I was in 9th grade. My IEP teacher is wrong. She think me not good math. No, she wrong.

I know how to do math and smart.

hahahaha! When I will get Gallaudet University, I will get smarter than you!

I will get Master Degree or Ph.d. :D

I am attending PJC is mainstream classes. I am go on fast pace for math.

I kidding! Sound good to me about your PJC class. I'm glad you enjoy math. :D Also that I love math too. :D

It didn't mean what I lost my remember. lol. It ok, I keep process and keep remember this one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back