Who loves Math?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 x 0 = 2?

where did you learn your multiplication?

Where did I say zero. I said nothing. An exponent of zero should not alter the base number. And by your logic, it will still equal zero, which is not 1. So why is any number with an exponent of zero equal to 1?

Did somebody say math? Yikes! *Deafbajagal fleeing from this thread* Was never a good math student.

LOL Same here. I stink @ math. It's SO bad that when my nephew has math HW, I usually send him to his Grandfather and have him check it. The sad thing...

My nephew will be starting third grade in Sept. :ugh: lol

LOL Same here. I stink @ math. It's SO bad that when my nephew has math HW, I usually send him to his Grandfather and have him check it. The sad thing...

My nephew will be starting third grade in Sept. :ugh: lol

:giggle:

Where did I say zero. I said nothing. An exponent of zero should not alter the base number. And by your logic, it will still equal zero, which is not 1. So why is any number with an exponent of zero equal to 1?

0 = nothing.

4 / 2 = 2
So 2 x 2 = 4. Right?

But:

4 / 0 = ?...
Wait a minute. Wouldn't it equal 4? But 4 / 1 = 4...
if 4 / 0 = 4, then that means 0 x 4 = 4, and 4 x 0 = 4...

But it isn't, 0 x 4 = 0.

Also... 0 seems different from nothing, to me...

My twins son and I love math.
Both sons are college students. One son's major in Chemical Engineering at U of Delaware. Other son has two different major... Physics and Ecomony at Rutgers University. Physics and Chemical required higher level in math.

You can giggle. It's OK. I have a learning disabilty, but even I know how sad my abilities are! :lol:

If this means you are offended, I am sorry. Neurological issues of my own.

i struggled with calculus, and didn't finish the second semester, but that was mostly because i just didn't study and rarely did my homework.

if you're overwhelmed, think of it this way: for real mathematicians and physicists, calculus is like their adding and subtracting. finding an indefinite integral might seem like the hardest thing in the world, but to the experts, that stuff is just the very first step to solving real problems. they could ace your calc final in their sleep.

use that to motivate you.

I tell you, I haven't start class yet. But I wil start August to do Pre-Class first. Then I will do start math January for freshman. :D

4 / 2 = 2
So 2 x 2 = 4. Right?

But:

4 / 0 = ?...
Wait a minute. Wouldn't it equal 4? But 4 / 1 = 4...
if 4 / 0 = 4, then that means 0 x 4 = 4, and 4 x 0 = 4...

But it isn't, 0 x 4 = 0.

Also... 0 seems different from nothing, to me...

4/0 is unsolvable. nothing can be divided by zero.

in numerical terms, 0 and nothing are the same. when you say, "2 times nothing", you're saying that you're performing an operation with the number 2, namely, multiplying it by a nonquantity, and the only numerical nonquantity there is is the number 0.

the problem is when you say "2 times nothing," "2 divided by nothing," etc. if you're not performing an operation, then leave them out entirely.

4/0 is unsolvable. nothing can be divided by zero.

in numerical terms, 0 and nothing are the same. when you say, "2 times nothing", you're saying that you're performing an operation with the number 2, namely, multiplying it by a nonquantity, and the only numerical nonquantity there is is the number 0.

the problem is when you say "2 times nothing," "2 divided by nothing," etc. if you're not performing an operation, then leave them out entirely.

Aha, but I have seen those who disagree.
"Nothing" would be what is between this line,

and this line. :D

Or the difference between 5 and 50 (a 5 with nothing after it is just a 5)

From what little bits I know, 0 is an integer (which has some special rules), and nothing is well... nothing.

And yes, you don't multiply by zero (and you certainly don't divide by it!), I was just fooling around.

One thing I'd like to know is, how do you explain the fact that -1 x -1 = 1?
(I already know, but curious to see what people will say) :D

The answer is Zero! Nothing can do! :) August is correct answer. :D

Let try hmmm

2x + 5 = 15

This is an equation. Solve it!

The answer is Zero! Nothing can do! :) August is correct answer. :D

Let try hmmm

2x + 5 = 15

This is an equation. Solve it!

5 + -5 + 2x = 15 - 5
5 + -5 = 0
0 + 2x = 15 + -5
2x = 15 + -5
2x = 10
10 / 2 = 5
2x / 2 = x
x = 5

Aha, but I have seen those who disagree.
"Nothing" would be what is between this line,

and this line. :D
technically, there is something between the lines. on the computer screen, there are pixels. on the webpage, there are commas, or whatever they use to delineate empty lines.

as far as i know, the only place one can actually find nothing is in a black hole.

MoreYouKnow.jpg

Or the difference between 5 and 50 (a 5 with nothing after it is just a 5)
the difference between 5 and 50 is 45 :)

but seriously, 5 isn't just "5 with nothing after it", you also have to count the hidden decimal. so it's 5.0. i think "5." might work too.

And yes, you don't multiply by zero (and you certainly don't divide by it!), I was just fooling around.
you can multiply by zero. in fact, many principles in math depend on that fact. it's also why, in chemistry, Kelvin temperature is always used in equations involving temperature; otherwise the answer would be 0.

One thing I'd like to know is, how do you explain the fact that -1 x -1 = 1?
(I already know, but curious to see what people will say) :D

the negative is like a mirror, it simply indicates the opposite of something. when multiplied, two opposites cancel each other out.

I think you missed my point that 0 is an integer... hehe.

no i didn't. you haven't budged me. when you perform mathematical operations on numbers with the quantity "nothing", i have no choice but to assign the integer 0 to it.

"Dr." Bogomolny is a hack!

Well, anyway. It doesn't matter much what you call 0 I don't think... as long as you know what it does. Hahaha.

It also depends on what type of math you are using, I think.

And I don't know whether he is a hack or not... but if he is, he is a hack with a Ph.D. So he must have been a good hack at some point. :D

Try this one, it's better.

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back