White privilege

that's why Bill Cosby spoke harshly of black comedians for continuing to use racist jokes. He preached that if the black community wants to get out of prevailing stereotype and racism in here, they need to clean up their acts. They need to stop continuing to use racist jokes that cheapen themselves in front of community of all races.
I remember that years ago.

I remember seeing a movie, Dangerous Minds. There was one part in the movie where a student or two suddenly stopped going to school. When the teacher went to meet the parents, the mother yelled at her... "My boys ain't going to no school!" Cosby pointed out that the parents like that should stop acting like that because it's them that's also promoting that stereotype.

Another good movie would be Crash (the 2004 version). There are a lot of racial profiling and racial fear in that movie.

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Star Trek tv shows especially old version broke a lot of racial barriers. Who would have imagined there would be interracial relationship (Uhura and Spock) shown in tv? Who would have thought Caucasians would be commanded by a minority (Hulu) in American tv show?

kudo to Star Trek for making a bold effort where no Caucasian would ever do! :lol:
Yep, they even broke the alien race barrier too! ;)

Anyways, I agree. I remember finding out that the first interracial kiss on television was between Kirk and Uhura. When I was a kid, I never thought much about it until someone brought it up. That's when I realized why it was a "big thing".

They made Sulu captain of his own ship in Star Trek VI. They also made Sisko captain in Deep Space Nine. :)

Yes, I would agree that Star Trek made a statement regarding racial barriers. The only problem would be in them not reaching the wider audience.
Yeah. There are not a lot of Trekkies out there.

Come to think of it, ever notice that it's usually the geek/nerd/dork minority that's more open-minded and friendly with other minorities than with the non-geek/nerd/dork minority?

Such examples would be comic book conventions, anime conventions, sci-fi conventions, Star Trek conventions, etc.

Ever see that episode on Saturday Night Live with Eddie Murphy?

Even though that episode was exaggerated, it did make a good point with how society is at times.

Eddie Murphy wanted to see if there was such thing as "white privileges". So, he had himself made a white man (with make-up, a "white man's outfit", etc). He got on a bus and there were black people on it. When the black people got off, all the white people stood up and they started to party like it was something they always did when only white people were around. He went to a store and a saw a black man pay for a newspaper. When he went to pay for his, the clerk said he could keep it.

I live in the Texan city full of Asians, Indians, Pakistanis, and Muslims. Asian markets and Indian restaurants are across the street. Anyway, I was in one of the aisles at the store shopping for food, and they are more direct than whites. They go "Where you from?", "Do you have a boyfriend?", or 'Are you married?"

I lived in San Diego full of whites, Asians, and Mexicans. White men are less approachable and slightly slow, They usually call me the night or next day, "want to get hang out with me?"

For example, I was at Sport Chalet asking this white instructor some questions about taking CPR lessons. I filled out the form and everything. A few hours later, when I got home, and checked the messages. He go ,"I can't help it, but you are so pretty. We could grab some coffee, so we can get to know each other. Here's my cell phone xxx-xxxx." Ha!

I have light olive skin, so I may look white. If I go to a Mexican store, they treat me differently until I hand over my credit card with my Spanish name on it, then they change the tone, and treat me like I belong in the store.

In Mexico City and major Mexican cities, I wasn't treated differently. No one cares if you look European, Middle Eastern, or Asian. There are plenty of Japanese-Mexicans down there.

I live in the Texan city full of Asians, Indians, Pakistanis, and Muslims. Asian markets and Indian restaurants are across the street. Anyway, I was in one of the aisles at the store shopping for food, and they are more direct than whites. They go "Where you from?", "Do you have a boyfriend?", or 'Are you married?"

I lived in San Diego full of whites, Asians, and Mexicans. White men are less approachable and slightly slow, They usually call me the night or next day, "want to get hang out with me?"

For example, I was at Sport Chalet asking this white instructor some questions about taking CPR lessons. I filled out the form and everything. A few hours later, when I got home, and checked the messages. He go ,"I can't help it, but you are so pretty. We could grab some coffee, so we can get to know each other. Here's my cell phone xxx-xxxx." Ha!

I have light olive skin, so I may look white. If I go to a Mexican store, they treat me differently until I hand over my credit card with my Spanish name on it, then they change the tone, and treat me like I belong in the store.

In Mexico City and major Mexican cities, I wasn't treated differently. No one cares if you look European, Middle Eastern, or Asian. There are plenty of Japanese-Mexicans down there.

It would seem like America is the most prejuced country?

a very sharp observation you made! Yes I can say you are right on the dot. We Asians are pretty direct. Our language has no room for dancing-around bullshit :)

It would seem like America is the most prejuced country?

I guess we'll wait until the day when Japan has a black president, too? Or Mexico get their first Anglo-saxon president as well? Or Germany get their first Jewish president.

People are going a wee bit too far on this self-flaggelating business.

America is prejudice in a lot ways but she is also the premiere melting pot of the world. A nation built by immigrants ever since the United States became a nation.

I guess we'll wait until the day when Japan has a black president, too? Or Mexico get their first Anglo-saxon president as well? Or Germany get their first Jewish president.

America is prejudice in a lot ways but she is also the premiere melting pot of the world. A nation built by immigrants ever since the United States became a nation.

Um... What? Are you forgetting the discrimination that the Jews, the Italians, the Irish went through when they first came here? Not to mention the French and Spanish creoles in the South?

At least Latin America was more open toward immigrants than Anglicized North America ever was.

Yeah right after those immagrants stole it from the native Americans. You are right, this is the melting pot of the world and I personally believe that prejudice does exist but it is not as bad as it use to be. I don't have a prejudice bone in my body. In my view, we are all of one race. The human race. I personally don't see all of this "white male privilege" in my life or even in my line of work.

Um... What? Are you forgetting the discrimination that the Jews, the Italians, the Irish went through when they first came here? Not to mention the French and Spanish creoles in the South?

At least Latin America was more open toward immigrants than Anglicized North America ever was.

Name a nation that didn't do that to their own immigrants.

Name a nation that didn't do that to their own immigrants.

in case you're having trouble following this thread - we're not talking a nation that does not do it to immigrants. We're talking about a degree of discrimination that varies among different countries.

in case you're having trouble following this thread - we're not talking a nation that does not do it to immigrants. We're talking about a degree of discrimination that varies among different countries.

In case you hadn't noticed I was responding to a comment that the U.S. is the *most* prejudiced country in the world.

We already know discrimination varies from country to country. Just like how I pointed out a few times that Iran execute gays as an example of extreme discrimination.

In case you hadn't noticed I was responding to a comment that the U.S. is the *most* prejudiced country in the world.

We already know discrimination varies from country to country. Just like how I pointed out a few times that Iran execute gays as an example of extreme discrimination.

in case you didn't notice, you were responding to souggy's post, not shel's. My response is based on your response to souggy's post.

Back