White privilege

where were you in 70's? maybe it varied among states at that time???
Pensacola, FL, and Charleston, SC.

oops... I just realized that souggy was talking about Canadian city, not America.

oops... I just realized that souggy was talking about Canadian city, not America.

:lol:

The thing is that women are not required to have co-signed accounts, plus we have laws to stop sexist things like that from occurring. So it's a cultural thing, not a legal thing-- because the law only work as long people actually enforce it.

So... I think it's because no one really complained?

:lol:

The thing is that women are not required to have co-signed accounts, plus we have laws to stop sexist things like that from occurring. So it's a cultural thing, not a legal thing-- because the law only work as long people actually enforce it.

So... I think it's because no one really complained?

yea that's what I meant. For example - the segregation was ruled unconstitutional. however - not all places "follow" it.... if you know what I mean. and they don't get in trouble because - as you said - nobody complained.... out of fear.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but I still maintain that clubs have nothing to do with the concept of white privilege.
That was my bad. I didn't think that response went through because I realized my mistake. I tried to cancel it but it made it through. Please disregard that post.

My view is that 'white privilege' is another general term that can have more than one meaning.
Splitting hairs again.
Context, context, people.

My view is that 'white privilege' is another general term that can have more than one meaning.
Splitting hairs again.
Context, context, people.

We are discussing the sociological context. At least, that is the way I have interpreted it.

It is more about class privileges. Many blacks have the same levels of education, status, and income with white people. the three class rank, Ivy education, same income, etc.
Same for deaf-v-deaf. Not all deaf have the same levels of education, status, and income.

I searched Proquest and EBSCO. here is an article.

Is There a Black Upper Class?
Monte Williams. New York Times. Mar 7, 1999. pg. 9.1
Abstract
All these men belong to what Lawrence Otis Graham calls America's black elite in his new book, ''Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class'' (HarperCollins, $25). Mr. Graham, 37, a graduate of Princeton University and Harvard Law School and the author of 12 other books, looks at the college fraternities and sororities, social clubs for adults and summer resorts tailored to a black aristocracy -- insular arenas unfamiliar to the black underclass, working class and whites of any class.

For women, there are sororities like Alpha Kappa Alpha and clubs like the Links and the Smart Set; for men, there is Omega Psi Phi on historically black campuses, which claims alumni from Vernon Jordan to former Gov. L. Douglas Wilder of Virginia, and clubs like the Guardsmen and the Boule. (Mr. Graham is a member of the Boule, which he says is the toughest to crack.) For children, there is Jack and Jill, a network of recreational groups that cultivate African-American roots in largely white suburbs. But don't rush to send resumes to any of these organizations; they accept members by invitation only.

''Our Kind of People'' has been widely reviewed, and Mr. Graham has just returned from a national press tour. The book has given broader exposure than ever to institutions that have seemed quasi-secret. Mr. Graham opens a door on fraternity houses that gave many a politician a first power base, and he conducts a tour of an enclave of summer homes in Sag Harbor, N.Y., where the black president of American Express lives next to the black owner of a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant and a black corporate headhunter.

It is more about class privileges. Many blacks have the same levels of education, status, and income with white people. the three class rank, Ivy education, same income, etc.
Same for deaf-v-deaf. Not all deaf have the same levels of education, status, and income.

I searched Proquest and EBSCO. here is an article.

Is There a Black Upper Class?
Monte Williams. New York Times. Mar 7, 1999. pg. 9.1
Abstract
All these men belong to what Lawrence Otis Graham calls America's black elite in his new book, ''Our Kind of People: Inside America's Black Upper Class'' (HarperCollins, $25). Mr. Graham, 37, a graduate of Princeton University and Harvard Law School and the author of 12 other books, looks at the college fraternities and sororities, social clubs for adults and summer resorts tailored to a black aristocracy -- insular arenas unfamiliar to the black underclass, working class and whites of any class.

For women, there are sororities like Alpha Kappa Alpha and clubs like the Links and the Smart Set; for men, there is Omega Psi Phi on historically black campuses, which claims alumni from Vernon Jordan to former Gov. L. Douglas Wilder of Virginia, and clubs like the Guardsmen and the Boule. (Mr. Graham is a member of the Boule, which he says is the toughest to crack.) For children, there is Jack and Jill, a network of recreational groups that cultivate African-American roots in largely white suburbs. But don't rush to send resumes to any of these organizations; they accept members by invitation only.

''Our Kind of People'' has been widely reviewed, and Mr. Graham has just returned from a national press tour. The book has given broader exposure than ever to institutions that have seemed quasi-secret. Mr. Graham opens a door on fraternity houses that gave many a politician a first power base, and he conducts a tour of an enclave of summer homes in Sag Harbor, N.Y., where the black president of American Express lives next to the black owner of a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant and a black corporate headhunter.

Again,this is referring to in group differences. White privilege has nothing to do with in group differences, or with social status of class structure within a given racial group.

The groups you are talking about are cultural preservation groups. They do not relate to the concept of white privilege in the U.S.

The article you have referenced is just an op ed piece.

An aside:

I remember when I was a little kid; this would be early 50's; all the bus drivers were black. A lot of white men who wanted jobs and were qualified for little else hated the black men for "Taking all the decent jobs."

At the same time a Black man could walk in trying to get a job with the city carrying a suitcase full of PHD's -- Ahhh, you guessed it. They give him a list of which bus routes they would let him drive.

I can't stand the whole "people of color are taking the white people jobs" mentalities. Just makes me want to tell them to be fruitful and multiply, except not in those words. :roll:

An aside:

I remember when I was a little kid; this would be early 50's; all the bus drivers were black. A lot of white men who wanted jobs and were qualified for little else hated the black men for "Taking all the decent jobs."

At the same time a Black man could walk in trying to get a job with the city carrying a suitcase full of PHD's -- Ahhh, you guessed it. They give him a list of which bus routes they would let him drive.

I remember some black lady on the anti plastic nu-age shaman forum telling about how people went to black colleges and were unable to get much more than menial jobs for quite a while. It made me think of those black guys working as baggers in the grocery store who spoke in educated accents.

An aside:

And you remember the segregation on the buses? My mother took me to the dentist via the bus in 60's and I remember that. I even remember the bus driver was white.

And you remember the segregation on the buses? My mother took me to the dentist via the bus in 60's and I remember that. I even remember the bus driver was white.
That wasn't true in every state during the 60's.

Actually the example of the bus drivers was from the north where they claimed not to be prejudiced.

In the south I do remember the pre-Martin Luther King days... Not only did black people ride in the back of the bus but they would get off the sidewalk and let the white people pass by... And there was no way you could get a black person to look you in the eye. This was very unsettling for someone raised primarily in the north and the west where black people did not hesitate to stand up for themselves.

When my late wife went to the south to visit her first husband's relatives she made the mistake of offering lemonade to everyone - including the black kid with them. She was slapped for embarrassing him in front of his family. Up until then she had not known he was a racist as in California where they went to school together he had shown no signs of it.

That wasn't true in every state during the 60's.

I just googled and found out that the US supreme court decided that bus segregation is illegal in 1956. I was not even born then. Why do I remember an ancient black man giving up his seat for my mother and I after the white bus driver said something (I think as his back was to me)??? Did some states/cities hang onto this long after 1956???

I just googled and found out that the US supreme court decided that bus segregation is illegal in 1956. I was not even born then. Why do I remember an ancient black man giving up his seat for my mother and I after the white bus driver said something (I think as his back was to me)??? Did some states/cities hang onto this long after 1956???

It probably has to do with de jure vs. de facto law. What was written in the papers vs. the unspoken rules of society.

Back