White privilege

That one annoys me to no end. Hearing are more likely to accept info from the hearing than the deaf population. It's especially blatant in the CI threads.

And ironically enough, a lot of white people are taken more seriously in the discussion of race. Often people of color who are opinionated or well-versed in race issues are seen as driven by emotions and therefore inherently biased. Of course we could say the same for white people but that rarely ever gets noticed.

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Star Trek tv shows especially old version broke a lot of racial barriers. Who would have imagined there would be interracial relationship (Uhura and Spock) shown in tv? Who would have thought Caucasians would be commanded by a minority (Hulu) in American tv show?

kudo to Star Trek for making a bold effort where no Caucasian would ever do! :lol:

I remember a lot of people saying science fiction was racist in nature. J.R.R Tolkien certainly comes across as one but I also remember reading books by the late Ocativa Butler the writer of the Parable series. I reread her series several times.

Do you ever get people who think you're smart simply because of your race?

yup - as a math genius. also - karate black belt master :roll:

I'm neither of those. far from it. I'm as common as John Wayne :lol: (ok well a little more than that)

I remember a lot of people saying science fiction was racist in nature. J.R.R Tolkien certainly comes across as one but I also remember reading books by the late Ocativa Butler the writer of the Parable series. I reread her series several times.

I've actually never got a hang of Tolkien's books. I'm not too big on those kind of fiction stories. But I did enjoy Ben Bova's books quite immensely.

I've actually never got a hang of Tolkien's books. I'm not too big on those kind of fiction stories. But I did enjoy Ben Bova's books quite immensely.

I didn't read his books til after I joined a game (MUME) based on his books and I've never been a big fan of him. I left MUME after a year.

I will have to check out Bova; his name sounds familar... Have you read Ursula K. Le Guin?

Last edited:
I didn't read his books til after I joined a game (MUME) based on his books and I've never been a big fan of him. I left MUME after a year.

I will have to check out Bova; his name sounds familar... Have you read Ursula K. Le Guin?

nope.

It's important to acknowledge and understand racism in U.S. history. It's rarely studied or discussed.

Slave narratives--their history in their own words:

American Slave Narratives

Lynching--very widespread and targeted African American men:

Lynchings in America

Racist memorabilia--images of how white people depicted black people (not flattering):

Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia at Ferris State University

Many people here have never seen black memorabilia. These images are offensive and they were perpetuated until the Civil Rights Movement.

Yep. Playing into that stereotype of the black guy not having sense enough to run from danger.:lol:

My hubby says the opposite. He says that it is the white people who are stupid enough to stay and find out what the danger is instead of running from it and then end up dead.

Shel, I like your hubby's take on it. :D

I also cringe when the woman *almost* gets away but she's wearing high heels and she trips. Just once I'd like to see a woman in sneakers get away!

Shel, I like your hubby's take on it. :D

I also cringe when the woman *almost* gets away but she's wearing high heels and she trips. Just once I'd like to see a woman in sneakers get away!

And what bothers me the most about that is that they have big breasts and tiny hips. Oh plueeeeezzzeee!

It's important to acknowledge and understand racism in U.S. history. It's rarely studied or discussed.

Lynchings in America

Racist memorabilia--images of how white people depicted black people (not flattering):

Many people here have never seen black memorabilia. These images are offensive and they were perpetuated until the Civil Rights Movement.

I remember seeing some of that. I remember being taken aback at some Blacks who collect it. But when they explained it, I could see why. The ones with watermelons are especially offensive to me.

Even now, I have witnessed women grabbing their purses and holding onto them tightly whenever my hubby and I walk past them. That doesnt happen when I am not with him. I just wonder if they were aware of their actions.

Lynchings in America

Thanks for those links, sallylou. And you are absolutely correct. One needs to take a historical perspective on the topic.

My hubby says the opposite. He says that it is the white people who are stupid enough to stay and find out what the danger is instead of running from it and then end up dead.

Only if there isn't a black guy for them to kill off first.:giggle:

Even now, I have witnessed women grabbing their purses and holding onto them tightly whenever my hubby and I walk past them. That doesnt happen when I am not with him. I just wonder if they were aware of their actions.

More than likely, they are only vaguely aware, and if asked why they did it, would say it was just a coincidence...that they grabbed their purse for another reason.

Personally, I'm always more comfortable around people who are non-violent and well-spoken, regardless of color. The black people that I associate with also prefer the company of non-violent, well-spoken people, regardless of color. They don't want to hang in the hood with gangsta-types. Calling that "acting white" is very disrespectful, as though black people can't behave properly without mimicking white people.

I agree. The phrase "acting white" is playing into the very stereotypes that white privilege uses to keep the practice going.

Jillio, How do you tell the difference between White Privilege and Good Vs. Evil? What is wrong with expecting people regardless of their skin color to be on their best behavior? I know I would be afraid of a white guy dressed as a gangsta. I hope I didn't misunderstood you guys.

I am thinking of Detroit where many white people moved out to Oakland and Macomb counties. The black people called it the White Flight and really resent that. I'll grant that some white people are doing for that reason but I am sure many others, including my mother, had to move out because of crimes. (basement window had been broken for the first time) Different point of views depending on your skin color.

Only if there isn't a black guy for them to kill off first.:giggle:

Watch Deep Blue Sea. The black chef was the only one to survive. :rofl:

Or Jurassic Park.... although in Jurassic Park, the black guy didn't make it to the end.

Well, at least in Snakes on a Plane, the black guy was a hero!

Same for Dawn of the Dead remake.

Jillio, How do you tell the difference between White Privilege and Good Vs. Evil? What is wrong with expecting people regardless of their skin color to be on their best behavior? I know I would be afraid of a white guy dressed as a gangsta. I hope I didn't misunderstood you guys.

I am thinking of Detroit where many white people moved out to Oakland and Macomb counties. The black people called it the White Flight and really resent that. I'll grant that some white people are doing for that reason but I am sure many others, including my mother, had to move out because of crimes. (basement window had been broken for the first time) Different point of views depending on your skin color.

No, I don't think you have misunderstood. And there is nothing wrong with expecting all people to be on their best behavior. White privilege figures in when you tend to experience that fear even if the person is not dressed as a gangsta, or giving any indication of being a threat. Whether it is coming from a black person toward a white, or a white person toward a black. It is still a result of stereotyping.

Where white privilege might figure into the Detroit situation is in the SES disparities between whites and minorities. The whites were more able to move to the suburbs as the result of a better economic condition.

Back