which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I will say is that a severe hearing loss doesn't automatically make a CI appropriate. My son has a bilateral severe loss, and with his HA's he has been able to have access to sound and ultimately developed speech. So, it really just depends on the individual, what type of hearing loss they have, the degree of it and how they do with HA's. I think some families (I'm not referring to anyone on AD, just in general) might rush into the CI process without giving HA's a fair chance.

There are some people who receive zero auditory benefit from HA's, and if that's the case then at that point I think CI's are worth looking into.

I agree with Coolspyergirl on many points. I'd like to add that there is no one right path in this world, and it would behoove us all to be more understanding and respectful of others choices.

The one thing I will say is that a severe hearing loss doesn't automatically make a CI appropriate. My son has a bilateral severe loss, and with his HA's he has been able to have access to sound and ultimately developed speech. So, it really just depends on the individual, what type of hearing loss they have, the degree of it and how they do with HA's. I think some families (I'm not referring to anyone on AD, just in general) might rush into the CI process without giving HA's a fair chance.

There are some people who receive zero auditory benefit from HA's, and if that's the case then at that point I think CI's are worth looking into.

I agree with Coolspyergirl on many points. I'd like to add that there is no one right path in this world, and it would behoove us all to be more understanding and respectful of others choices.
Exactly what we've been telling Faire Jour.

Wow. Yet another thread on its way to being locked.

FJ, I noticed you didn't even bother to answer my question as to whether you'd read the thread in full or any of Frankie's history. Apparently you didn't.

hello
i have a little boy named francis..he is 14 months old and has some very significant delays. it looks like he also has "moderate hearing loss", as indicated by the audiologist. they are going to do one more test to confirm it..apparently they will sedate him and then test his brain waves. at any rate..what do i need to know? will hearing aids help him? do hearing aids restore hearing to "normal"??
to be honest, this is the least of his delays but im still so very worried.

sounds good!
i am so very overwhelmed by all of this..i called early intervention a few months ago to get an appointment because he was just regressing..they confirmed that he is very delayed, and he is at a 5 month old level..he cant eat solid food without choking, he cant play with toys really..he just learned to hold his bottle a couple of months ago..i am wondering if it will be difficult to help him adapt when he has all of these other issues. its really something..i have 6 other children, and none of them have any problems at all, hearing related or otherwise.

it sure is! he had his swallow study this morning, and they said that it looks like he hasnt learned how to actually chew things, which is making him gag. poor thing has had so many tests, with more to come..but hopefully we will get an idea of what is going on. i am hoping that we keep him tired enough for this test tomorrow though, i am very eager to see what is going on!!

At this point, with all due respect to Frankie's mom, you, FJ, are in a rush to advocate a CI surgery when there's other issues going on? You're sooooo worried about placing value on spoken language that you want to bypass other things the mom has to deal with?

(Oh, such as cooking on the stove, taking a bath, whatnot -- even if that didn't come from you, FJ)

What an utter disappointment, FJ. You never fail. You see the words "deaf child" and you say CI CI CI CI CI CI CI without taking into account anything else, do you?

Yes. I hope not because this thread is very informative and also we d like to give good anyt hing feedbacks for frankies mom.

FJ, I noticed you didn't even bother to answer my question as to whether you'd read the thread in full or any of Frankie's history. Apparently you didn't.

At this point, with all due respect to Frankie's mom, you, FJ, are in a rush to advocate a CI surgery when there's other issues going on? You're sooooo worried about placing value on spoken language that you want to bypass other things the mom has to deal with?

(Oh, such as cooking on the stove, taking a bath, whatnot -- even if that didn't come from you, FJ)

What an utter disappointment, FJ. You never fail. You see the words "deaf child" and you say CI CI CI CI CI CI CI without taking into account anything else, do you?

This is exactly why I slammed her so hard. Yet I'm called offensive for doing so. Oh well.

No one is pushing CIs for Frankie in this thread or in any of the others. But many are tearing into CIs, and it's not those with direct experience either with CIs or who have raised a deaf child with CIs who are doing this. Some of us with experience are trying to correct some of the many misconceptions being built.

Just because a child has or is pursuing access to spoken language using a HA or CI -- in addition to ASL -- doesn't mean he or she is somehow inferior or damaged goods. That sort of thinking, that someone is inferior or superior because of his or her ability to hear, is discriminatory and I hate seeing that here, of all places.

Frankie's Mom, your child has so many options right now. I hope you find the combination of language, academic environment, and assistive technology that works best. I hope those HAs you are currently pursuing do all that you hope and Frankie is able to develop full and active language in the mode you choose.

If you decide on the TC/oral environment you've mentioned in another thread, I wish you all the best. But, if you are considering switching and have questions about a bi-bi/ASL academic environment, please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have about our very happy experience at TLC, a school for the deaf in MA, for 4 years now. I realize programs like this don't grow on trees, but I'd love to spread the word about one that works.

We've also tried HAs with our daughter, eventually pursuing bilateral CIs when the HAs were found not to work (in our case, that means that while she could hear a jet airplane or alarm with them, they'd not be able to provide access to the "speech banana"), and at 5YO, she is happy, healthy, and fluent in both ASL and spoken English, despite being implanted on the very outer limits of the window that experts consider optimal for full language development, at nearly 2 years old. Cicircle.org is a great resource if you do find yourself considering CIs -- you'll get the good, the bad, the successes, the failures all very frankly discussed. You'll also very clearly see the differences in outcomes for those who implanted before 2, and those who implanted much later -- timing does matter (although this really depends upon the individual and what you are looking for out of CIs). For my daughter, CIs have exceeded all expectations -- she LOVES them, she loves being able to access sounds and she does so without difficulty. That's the case with many, if not most, but it's not so for all children.

I realize this is a thread about whether or not you should pursue HAs and / or CIs, but if I could stress or push one thing, it would be for you to immerse your child in ASL somehow -- regardless of hearing tech. It may be difficult considering the type of program you are leaning towards, but so critical for your little one to have a means of communicating with you right now. In our case, we knew it could take us a couple of years to achieve the kind of fluency we needed our child exposed to immediately, so we found an ASL-based daycare associated with the school for the deaf my daughter now attends, we found Deaf babysitters for the summers, and we transferred all of our EI activity to an ASL-based communication program (a parent infant program that met 3 X a week), and began family sign before we even knew our daughter was profoundly deaf and followed with classes in the evenings, my husband and I alternated nights. She has socialized from the very first with other deaf kids. So, while we ramped up our language, and explored hearing tech options, our child didn't suffer as much of a communication gap as is common to many hearing families attempting to raise a child with ASL. And she has been, for 2 years now, enrolled full time in an ASL-based academic environment.

This site -- Educating Deaf Children -- is an EXCELLENT resource, I can't recommend it enough for discussion, research, and an unbiased approach to all options! OK, it's a little bit biased towards bilingual ed, but you'll see fair representation. There's also a great deal of info. about hearing technologies and the choices you'll be making.

No one is pushing CIs for Frankie in this thread or in any of the others.

This, below, was not a push for a CI? What else was it? You MUST be kidding me. Wow, I'm sorry I didn't understand the humor or sarcasm behind either of your posts.

He would be missing out on the ability to hear and understand the spoken language of others.

but if that is not of value to you, more power to you. But know, you ARE making that choice.

No one is pushing CIs for Frankie in this thread or in any of the others. But many are tearing into CIs, and it's not those with direct experience either with CIs or who have raised a deaf child with CIs who are doing this. Some of us with experience are trying to correct some of the many misconceptions being built.

Just because a child has or is pursuing access to spoken language using a HA or CI -- in addition to ASL -- doesn't mean he or she is somehow inferior or damaged goods. That sort of thinking, that someone is inferior or superior because of his or her ability to hear, is discriminatory and I hate seeing that here, of all places.

Frankie's Mom, your child has so many options right now. I hope you find the combination of language, academic environment, and assistive technology that works best. I hope those HAs you are currently pursuing do all that you hope and Frankie is able to develop full and active language in the mode you choose.

If you decide on the TC/oral environment you've mentioned in another thread, I wish you all the best. But, if you are considering switching and have questions about a bi-bi/ASL academic environment, please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have about our very happy experience at TLC, a school for the deaf in MA, for 4 years now. I realize programs like this don't grow on trees, but I'd love to spread the word about one that works.

We've also tried HAs with our daughter, eventually pursuing bilateral CIs when the HAs were found not to work (in our case, that means that while she could hear a jet airplane or alarm with them, they'd not be able to provide access to the "speech banana"), and at 5YO, she is happy, healthy, and fluent in both ASL and spoken English, despite being implanted on the very outer limits of the window that experts consider optimal for full language development, at nearly 2 years old. Cicircle.org is a great resource if you do find yourself considering CIs -- you'll get the good, the bad, the successes, the failures all very frankly discussed. You'll also very clearly see the differences in outcomes for those who implanted before 2, and those who implanted much later -- timing does matter (although this really depends upon the individual and what you are looking for out of CIs). For my daughter, CIs have exceeded all expectations -- she LOVES them, she loves being able to access sounds and she does so without difficulty. That's the case with many, if not most, but it's not so for all children.

I realize this is a thread about whether or not you should pursue HAs and / or CIs, but if I could stress or push one thing, it would be for you to immerse your child in ASL somehow -- regardless of hearing tech. It may be difficult considering the type of program you are leaning towards, but so critical for your little one to have a means of communicating with you right now. In our case, we knew it could take us a couple of years to achieve the kind of fluency we needed our child exposed to immediately, so we found an ASL-based daycare associated with the school for the deaf my daughter now attends, we found Deaf babysitters for the summers, and we transferred all of our EI activity to an ASL-based communication program (a parent infant program that met 3 X a week), and began family sign before we even knew our daughter was profoundly deaf and followed with classes in the evenings, my husband and I alternated nights. She has socialized from the very first with other deaf kids. So, while we ramped up our language, and explored hearing tech options, our child didn't suffer as much of a communication gap as is common to many hearing families attempting to raise a child with ASL. And she has been, for 2 years now, enrolled full time in an ASL-based academic environment.

This site -- Educating Deaf Children -- is an EXCELLENT resource, I can't recommend it enough for discussion, research, and an unbiased approach to all options! OK, it's a little bit biased towards bilingual ed, but you'll see fair representation. There's also a great deal of info. about hearing technologies and the choices you'll be making.

whoa. lengthy post but... it seems very light on ASL aspect :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
lol faire jour is getting told by a teenager with CI's, how is this possible.

she just said she lipreads. She made my point.

Wirelessly posted

DeafCaroline said:

This is exactly why I slammed her so hard. Yet I'm called offensive for doing so. Oh well.

not at all. I said specifically that if spoken language is not going to be a goal NOT to implant.

there are tons of multiplihandicapped kids with CIs. I happen to follow two. CIs are not a cure but they can be of great benefit in many different circumstances.

bop bop bop!!! sssshhhhh...... as Beowulf said... I knew you would finally snap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back