Which FM system do you have?

I'm sorry Melissa, I don't know what you are referring to. (i.e. "I thought it was like this") Could you explain? Thanks!

I apologize hear again. I am a bit new at this. I linked a picture of what I thought the smartlink looked like. I realize now that you were talking about the receiver part that attaches to the hearing aid. Alicia was thinking exactly right. The transmitter is more like a handheld cell phone.

Thanks for being patient with me, I promise to get the hang of this. :)

I apologize hear again. I am a bit new at this. I linked a picture of what I thought the smartlink looked like. I realize now that you were talking about the receiver part that attaches to the hearing aid. Alicia was thinking exactly right. The transmitter is more like a handheld cell phone.

Thanks for being patient with me, I promise to get the hang of this. :)

No problem! :)

I think this one is my audi's old one. He is just lending it to me so I can see if I like the idea of using a fm transmitter. If I buy one it will be brand new and probably the Smartlink one.
I have a hatis too. It is for my home phone. How do you get it to work with your music? The jack is only 2.5 right? All the headphone jacks are 3.5. At least that is what I am thinking, forgive me if I am wrong. :)

I have the same earhook..I have a jack converter from an shop that sells likewise things.and it cost very little! I always have the converter on my mp3 player and I switch the hatis between my cellphone and mp3 player.

HearAgain, where are you in the States? I know it's fairly common for people to use FM in the classroom, but I think its fairly rare for people to use it outside of the classroom.

HearAgain, where are you in the States? I know it's fairly common for people to use FM in the classroom, but I think its fairly rare for people to use it outside of the classroom.

I live in a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We have a School for the Deaf in Delavan as well as a Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, a training center for the deafblind, a store that specializes in selling equipment for the d/Deaf and HoH, a church for the deaf, an HLAA chapter and a support group for CI users in the suburb in which I live, so that may explain why I see more young and older adults using FM systems outside of the classroom.

I live in New England. It's possible that New English people don't tend to use FM all that much. I know that when I asked abt using it a few years ago at college, they said that I was the first person to ask about using it in a few years.

I remember when I was about 12 or 13 and my audi (the same one I still go to today) showed me this huge old box that was the fm system. I said "no thank you," and got out of there fast
Do you remember the ones with the harnesses? UGH!!!!!!!

I live in New England. It's possible that New English people don't tend to use FM all that much. I know that when I asked abt using it a few years ago at college, they said that I was the first person to ask about using it in a few years.

I had the same experience when I attended a community college for blindness training. In my case, the D/HH program manager said it had been over a year since a HoH student asked to use an FM system.

Do you remember the ones with the harnesses? UGH!!!!!!!

Even though I never used them myself, a good friend of mine did in elementary school back in the 70s. She showed me her FM system once (yes, she still has it stored in a closet after all these years) and I couldn't believe how bulky it was.

The ones in the 80's and early 90's, when my parents and I had fights about wearing it, weren't much better.

The ones in the 80's and early 90's, when my parents and I had fights about wearing it, weren't much better.

At least nowadays they're considerably smaller. Given how much they've changed in size over the past 20 years, it makes me wonder how much smaller they'll be in the near future.

I use the Hatis with my ipod, DVD player and CD players all with no problems. The jack fits perfectly in them, I don't need an adapter.

Where can one try out FM systems if one has a CI? I know there are hearing aids clinics that have products to test out. Isn't that funny that I don't see CI centers with products to try out for CI users? We have a Deaf Center, but I am not sure that they help CI users. I don't even know if they have products to try out.

After I got my CI, I tried the Soundfield System, which is like a mini boombox-like device that sits in front of you. It doesn't go directly to your ears. I didn't like it due to that I hated carrying around that plus the microphone that looked liked those at McDonald's drive-thru windows that employees wear.

It's difficult in high school because you go to various classrooms that it's not fun carrying those everyday to every class. I had my backpack and sometimes books to carry. My high school was difficult because they had no mercy for the students who had to carry almost every book for each class. Break time in between classes was not enough to go to your locker.

I can see that the SoundField is more convenient for children as they normally don't have many classrooms to switch to. I do believe that peer pressure do play some role into young people not trying out their FM systems, but I am aware that sometimes it isn't helpful for those who have severe-to-profound hearing loss.

The FM system is much smaller now that it's probably why more are willing to try it out. Many people hate the attention that their FM system brings.

I am concerned with buying any FM Systems because they cost a lot of money, and I'd prefer to try it out before buying any. CI centers should offer CI users to try out loaners just like it is with hearing aids.

Where can one try out FM systems if one has a CI? I know there are hearing aids clinics that have products to test out. Isn't that funny that I don't see CI centers with products to try out for CI users? We have a Deaf Center, but I am not sure that they help CI users. I don't even know if they have products to try out.

After I got my CI, I tried the Soundfield System, which is like a mini boombox-like device that sits in front of you. It doesn't go directly to your ears. I didn't like it due to that I hated carrying around that plus the microphone that looked liked those at McDonald's drive-thru windows that employees wear.

It's difficult in high school because you go to various classrooms that it's not fun carrying those everyday to every class. I had my backpack and sometimes books to carry. My high school was difficult because they had no mercy for the students who had to carry almost every book for each class. Break time in between classes was not enough to go to your locker.

I can see that the SoundField is more convenient for children as they normally don't have many classrooms to switch to. I do believe that peer pressure do play some role into young people not trying out their FM systems, but I am aware that sometimes it isn't helpful for those who have severe-to-profound hearing loss.

The FM system is much smaller now that it's probably why more are willing to try it out. Many people hate the attention that their FM system brings.

I am concerned with buying any FM Systems because they cost a lot of money, and I'd prefer to try it out before buying any. CI centers should offer CI users to try out loaners just like it is with hearing aids.

ClearSky,

You might want to contact the Deaf Center in your area to ask if they provide demonstrations of FM systems. If they don't, is there a retail store in your area that sells adaptive equipment for the d/Deaf and HoH?

Are you a college student? If so, perhaps you could go to your school's disability office and try an FM system there.

Are you a client of vocational rehabilitation (VR)? If you are, they could cover the cost of an FM system.

I agree with you that CI centers should offer their clients the ability to try various FM systems and other CI accessories.

HearAgain,

I might really try and ask the Deaf Center first. It's close to the CI clinic.

I wish there were a retail store, but I believe it's not. I just thought that maybe HLAA might talk about this topic. In your experience, do they talk about FM for CI?

Yes, I am with VR, but I am not a student right now. It's hard to convince them to pay one for you unless you have a reason for it. I would try this option if I am able to try it with a trial offer. I want VR to have the option to return it if it doesn't work and try other ones if needed.

I am concerned about asking VR because if I want to try it for other situation like church or a class I attended before without VR financial help. I'd have to ask my counselor for more details.

If VR funds it, do they let you have it even if you stop working with VR or do you have to give it back?

I wish there were a retail store, but I believe it's not. I just thought that maybe HLAA might talk about this topic. In your experience, do they talk about FM for CI?

HLAA talks about FM systems as they pertain to hearing aids. However, the same information can be applied to CIs since all FM systems designed for hearing aids (with the exception of the Phonak Smartlink) are compatible with CIs.

Yes, I am with VR, but I am not a student right now. It's hard to convince them to pay one for you unless you have a reason for it. I would try this option if I am able to try it with a trial offer. I want VR to have the option to return it if it doesn't work and try other ones if needed.

From what I understand, many companies who sell FM systems have a return policy. As for VR, I wonder if you could argue a case for an FM system by indicating how much it would help your daily functioning (i.e. running errands, grocery shopping, church activities, etc.). You could also argue that the purchase of an FM system would increase your chances of gainful employment.

If VR funds it, do they let you have it even if you stop working with VR or do you have to give it back?

I believe that as long as you are employed or going to school, you can keep your FM system.
i

the smartlink isn't compatible with CI's are u sure...I thought my counselor told me she was ordering one for a CI student not too long ago...I think it just takes a different receiver (for ci) but the transmitter should work with any CI

Alicia,

Yes, you're correct. :) I was confused about the SmartLink because when I spoke to my university audi, she kept referring to it as the MicroLink when, in fact, the MicroLink was the receiver and the SmartLink was the transmitter.

Back