Which FM system do you have?

bebito831

Reaction score
My audi recently loaned me a Phonak FM system to try out. I have this one and I am enjoying it alot.
MicroLink-Transmitter.jpg

I am able to hear much, tv, and people with it. My husband likes it becasue he can talk to me while we are driving in the car at night without having to turn the lights on (I would need to read his lips otherwise). Before I actually buy one I would like to know if there is anything better or one that has more features that I do not know about.

If you have a FM system which one do you have? What would you reccomend? Why do you like it? Thanks!

I have an AT-216 Comtek FM system:

COMTEK Communications Technology - AT-216 Digitally Synthesized Wireless Auditory Assistance Kit

Prior to owning this unit, I had a 72 MHz Comtek FM system that worked perfectly for 11 years until the receiver stopped working.

One thing I like about Comtek FM systems is how well built they are. Both of my Comteks have been accidentally dropped onto hard tiled floors without damage.

I also like the strong and clear sound quality Comtek FM systems offer. In addition, I like being able to connect an environmental microphone to the FM receiver so that I'm able to hear environmental sounds.

After I received my first CI, I tried using a Phonak MicroLink, but found that it wasn't completely accessible to me as a totally blind person.

what phonak fm is that? What's the name? I have never seen it. I have the phonak smartlink sx and I absolutely love it! It's also bluetooh compatible and has 3 diff mic settings depending on what your listening sitation is! I also the have phonak mlx9 (i think it is) receiver. It is integrated so if u have a phonak ha it can just attact to the bottom instead of having the boot and then the other receiver with the pins.

what phonak fm is that? What's the name? I have never seen it. I have the phonak smartlink sx and I absolutely love it! It's also bluetooh compatible and has 3 diff mic settings depending on what your listening sitation is! I also the have phonak mlx9 (i think it is) receiver. It is integrated so if u have a phonak ha it can just attact to the bottom instead of having the boot and then the other receiver with the pins.

It is an older version I believe. It is called Phonak Microlink. It does not have bluetooth, which I want. :)

A quick question. Does the smartlink do a noise compression? If you are in a noisy situation does it automatically try to reduce the noise? I was wondering about that?

I do not believe it does since there are the dif mic settings. There are 3 settings
Superzoom: narrow-angle sound pickup= i use this one when i want to listen to one specific thing which for me is the teacher :) (i use this setting the most)

Zoom: wider-angle sound pickup= i haven't used this one as much..I only use it sometime with the tv and occasionally at school..I am going to university next year so maybe it will come in use more..lol

Omni: 360 sound pickup = I use this one for class discussions as it picks up students voices and my teacher(s) will usually move around and repeat questions and answers anyway.

You can also use the smartlink as a remote control for your ha (my ha is basic so i can't-unless i'm not using it right..which is possible lol- but alot of other phonak aids can)Perseo, Claro, Supero and all future remote controllable phonak hearing instruments) I am guessing that all other Phonak hearing aids (new ones) can be controlled with the smartlink.

The smartlink also has 3 antenna options depending on how far the wearer is or your sound field is. The smartlink just on its own with the built in antenna goes up to 10 ft, the short antenna goes up to 32 ft, and the lavalier cord antenna goes up to 100 ft. With the smartlink you get the 2 attachable antennas and an audio cable for the tv, computer, etc. The cable for charging and audio cable gets plugged into the adapter which slides in at the bottom of the smartlink.

I do not think I've forgotten anything else important..lol maybe haha but i think i covered alot. And the bluetooth isn't hard to pair the security code or whatev is "1234" and its the same for EVERY smartlink and it will pair with anything bluetooth. Just use your manual it has everything imaginable as well as q's in it. There is also a FAQs link on the website to the smartlink sx transmitter page on phonak.com :)

Anymore q's don't hesitate to ask! :D

Thank you Alicia! You have been very helpful. That is the receiver I am leaning towards to purchase. If you don't mind my asking, how much was your smartlink and where did you get it from? Thanks!

Lol thanks I try to be helpful when I can:) The smartlink sx is the transmitter the receiver is the doodad on the hearing aid that picks up the sounds :P
The smartlink I think was around 3500 give or take and the integrated phonak receiver was 200 or so. My audi ordered it from phonak and a grant program in my province and my school paid for it and i get to keep it:)

I only skimmed Alicias response but, Alicia, I do think Smartlink has a degree of noise compression.

I am using ZoomLink and I know it does have noise compression. I think they refer to it as Advanced Speech Enhancement or something like that but I would assume if ZoomLink has it that SmartLink does.

Is it the same kind of noise compression that the digital hearing aids have nowdays? I was not fond of that feature.:aw:

Is it the same kind of noise compression that the digital hearing aids have nowdays? I was not fond of that feature.:aw:

I am not sure. I can't really tell with mine, I have a 110ish dB loss up to 1000Hz, and then no response past that...I can't really comment on what I hear haha

FM systems have come a long way from my first and one in 1991. I have a Phonic Ear Easy Listener. I told it apart several times and some how got it working again. It finally kicked the bucket last year.

I borrowed one another Phonic Ear from the school system for this year and haven't had to use it. I don't recommend it.

I guessed that they didnt have compression cuz i havent really noticed it before and i have around a 50dB loss...so maybe the compression isnt really noticeable lol

I guessed that they didnt have compression cuz i havent really noticed it before and i have around a 50dB loss...so maybe the compression isnt really noticeable lol

Could be your hearing aids...or I don't know if the SmartLink is programmable. I know there are some programmable FMs....

Thanks girls, I wonder if my audi has a smartlink that I could try out instead of this one. I will email him tomorrow. :)

JW.........what's the purpose of using FM systems out of a school setting?
I know they tend to really push FM usage in groups like HLAA, but it does seem like young dhh folks don't tend to generally use FM even in school, post jr high.

JW.........what's the purpose of using FM systems out of a school setting?

DD,

When I still had enough residual hearing to use an FM system, I used my Comtek in a variety of settings including the bank, grocery or clothes shopping (so I could hear the person who was assisting me), doctor appointments, church services, watching TV and attending local events for the blind and deafblind. (Note: This was before I learned tactile sign.)

I know they tend to really push FM usage in groups like HLAA, but it does seem like young dhh folks don't tend to generally use FM even in school, post jr high.

I don't know about other universities, but at my school, they encourage students with hearing loss below 90 dB to use FM systems in class. (They can also use realtime captioning and notetakers.)

well I know that most universities have an FM device on hand....but I know that most young dhh folks dont tend to use it.
So, in some cases an FM device would be pretty much a one on one hearing aid?
I'm just wondering the justification for the use outside of a classroom or a large group setting.

well I know that most universities have an FM device on hand....but I know that most young dhh folks dont tend to use it.
So, in some cases an FM device would be pretty much a one on one hearing aid?
I'm just wondering the justification for the use outside of a classroom or a large group setting.

Could you clarify what you mean by "So, in some cases an FM device would be pretty much a one on one hearing aid?"? If I understand this question correctly, the answer is that an FM system can be used in a one-on-one situation or in group situations (provided that an environmental microphone is used and/or the members of a group pass the microphone from one person to another.)

As for the justification of using an FM system outside of the classroom setting, please see the examples I listed above. Speaking from my own experience, my FM system has been invaluable -- particularly since I can't lipread or use written communication.

P.S. It is my opinion that those who are D/HH (children, teens and adults) should use whatever communication method is best for them.

I have a Love-Hate relationship with my Fm system..not to say i don' benefit from it most of the time and I am young..19 almost 20 I don't see the Fm as something i'm "too old for" If i need it, i need it..no biggie..plus i didn't have to pay for it..so that was a HUGE bonus!

Back