Which FM system do you have?

Well, I am old already and I want to use it. :lol: I am actually excited to try it out in my college classes. I am currently taking courses for my Masters Degree and this device could really come in handy. If only I had known about it when I was younger and in Highschool or first starting colllege, I would have loved this.

I have a Love-Hate relationship with my Fm system..not to say i don' benefit from it most of the time and I am young..19 almost 20 I don't see the Fm as something i'm "too old for" If i need it, i need it..no biggie..plus i didn't have to pay for it..so that was a HUGE bonus!

I feel the same way about my FM system. Mine has come in handy in a variety of situations including doctor appointments, church services, class discussions/lectures, the bank, grocery store, department store, etc. I was fortunate that VR paid for both of my Comtek FM systems. The only frustration I have with my FM is when the batteries die in the middle of a 2 or 3 hour lecture. :(

Speaking from my own experience, my FM system has been invaluable -- particularly since I can't lipread or use written communication
So it basicly enhances one on one oral communication, so you don't miss anything? I see how it could be helpful in those situtions.....
I totally agree with you Hear Again.....everyone should have a full toolbox of options. I'm just saying that it does seem like a lot of young dhh folks tend not to use FM, especially not in the classroom after they graduate high school.
I think FM device usage is prolly really hit or miss. Some people adore them, but I know a lot of young dhh folks who kind of think they are a little overrated.

I am not sure. I can't really tell with mine, I have a 110ish dB loss up to 1000Hz, and then no response past that...I can't really comment on what I hear haha

Jenny,
It seems like our hearing may be similar, at least pure tone levels. So what does your FM provide you? I've tried it (Zoomlink) and can't seem to get any added benefit to make it worth the "hassle" of wearing the MLX receivers on my Naidas.

Ellen

So it basicly enhances one on one oral communication, so you don't miss anything?

Yes.

I see how it could be helpful in those situtions.....
I totally agree with you Hear Again.....everyone should have a full toolbox of options. I'm just saying that it does seem like a lot of young dhh folks tend not to use FM, especially not in the classroom after they graduate high school.
I think FM device usage is prolly really hit or miss. Some people adore them, but I know a lot of young dhh folks who kind of think they are a little overrated.

I wonder why the young D/HH people you know think FM systems are overrated? Is it because they derive little or no benefit from them? I hope I don't upset anyone by saying this, but I think FM systems can be helpful for *some* individuals who have mild to moderate or moderate to severe hearing loss. In my case, I was able to use an FM system for 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss. I don't mention that to brag or come across as if I'm better than the next person because I could use an FM system -- I'm simply pointing out that there are some people who could benefit from this technology who may not have been introduced to it before.

i

I wonder why the young D/HH people you know think FM systems are overrated? Is it because they derive little or no benefit from them? I hope I don't upset anyone by saying this, but I think FM systems can be helpful for *some* individuals who have mild to moderate or moderate to severe hearing loss. In my case, I was able to use an FM system for 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss. I don't mention that to brag or come across as if I'm better than the next person because I could use an FM system -- I'm simply pointing out that there are some people who could benefit from this technology who may not have been introduced to it before.

Well, that seems to be my situation. I have worn my ha's since I was 5 and this is the first time I have been introduced to an FM system. I am enjoying the experience. I can't wait to try it in my classroom. I think I am benefitting from it a lot. :)

Well, that seems to be my situation. I have worn my ha's since I was 5 and this is the first time I have been introduced to an FM system. I am enjoying the experience. I can't wait to try it in my classroom. I think I am benefitting from it a lot. :)

Melissa,

That's great! I'm glad you are enjoying using your FM system. :) I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well it works in a classroom setting. (You'll have to update us to let us know how it works for you.) I can still remember the first time I learned about FM systems...it was as if a whole new world opened up for me.

I thought Phonak quit making (or selling) that transmitter, I never see it anywhere on their website. Anyway, I have that same transmitter, which I only used for music. But now, I don't even use it anymore now that I have the Hatis Epic earhook device to listen to music now. I also have a Comtek FM unit stored away too, which I also do not use (my grandparents bought it for me when I was a kid).

wonder why the young D/HH people you know think FM systems are overrated? Is it because they derive little or no benefit from them? I hope I don't upset anyone by saying this, but I think FM systems can be helpful for *some* individuals who have mild to moderate or moderate to severe hearing loss. In my case, I was able to use an FM system for 6 out of the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss. I don't mention that to brag or come across as if I'm better than the next person because I could use an FM system -- I'm simply pointing out that there are some people who could benefit from this technology who may not have been introduced to it before.
Well I think most of them are happy with just hearing aids. I also think that many young dhh folks have bad memories of those ever so sexy body worn FM systems.

I thought Phonak quit making (or selling) that transmitter, I never see it anywhere on their website. Anyway, I have that same transmitter, which I only used for music. But now, I don't even use it anymore now that I have the Hatis Epic earhook device to listen to music now. I also have a Comtek FM unit stored away too, which I also do not use (my grandparents bought it for me when I was a kid).

I think this one is my audi's old one. He is just lending it to me so I can see if I like the idea of using a fm transmitter. If I buy one it will be brand new and probably the Smartlink one.
I have a hatis too. It is for my home phone. How do you get it to work with your music? The jack is only 2.5 right? All the headphone jacks are 3.5. At least that is what I am thinking, forgive me if I am wrong. :)

Well I think most of them are happy with just hearing aids. I also think that many young dhh folks have bad memories of those ever so sexy body worn FM systems.

:giggle: I remember when I was about 12 or 13 and my audi (the same one I still go to today) showed me this huge old box that was the fm system. I said "no thank you," and got out of there fast! :laugh2:

Now more and more people are using fm systems because they are small. I was showed 2 options in high school. One that sat on my desk which was a huge speaker and a headset and the phonak edulink with tiny over the ear/in the ear receivers. I oviously chose the phonak one lol.
I do not concur with deafdyke tho on this..The Ddeaf/hoh that i know ALL use fm systems in school and we are all in university/college.

In my school there are 8 Ddeaf/hoh people. 6 use terps, ALL of them use an FM system and notetakers and some ppl with LD use an FM system as well.

Now more and more people are using fm systems because they are small. I was showed 2 options in high school. One that sat on my desk which was a huge speaker and a headset and the phonak edulink with tiny over the ear/in the ear receivers. I oviously chose the phonak one lol.
I do not concur with deafdyke tho on this..The Ddeaf/hoh that i know ALL use fm systems in school and we are all in university/college.

In my school there are 8 Ddeaf/hoh people. 6 use terps, ALL of them use an FM system and notetakers and some ppl with LD use an FM system as well.

Alicia,

This has been my experience as well. I attend a university that has a large deaf/Deaf/HoH population -- and all of the HoH students use FM systems (Comtek). Also, the young deafblind adults I've met at my local deafblind center all used FM systems and felt the same way I did when they were introduced to them.

Most HoH people I know (i.e. young adults) with mild, moderate or severe hearing loss glady welcome the opportunity to use an FM system when it is offered to them. In fact, there was even a Deaf client I met at my local deafblind center (a man in his 20s) who wanted to try using an FM system to see how much he could hear. To his delight, he could hear people calling his name as well as environmental sounds. From that point on, he started using an FM system along with a terp.

When I had moderately-severe hearing loss, I didn't use an FM system either but then again, I wasn't introduced to them until I started training at my local deafblind center and my hearing loss reached the severe-profound range.

As for students having bad memories of body worn FM systems, I can't blame them for that, but as Alicia pointed out, FM systems have become *so* much smaller over the past 10 years.

In fact, if I remember correctly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), Phonak's Smartlink simply snaps onto the bottom of a BTE aid making it invisible and easy to use.

In fact, if I remember correctly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), Phonak's Smartlink simply snaps onto the bottom of a BTE aid making it invisible and easy to use.

Really? I thought it was like this...
phonak_smartlink.jpg

Or is there one that goes onto your hearing aid?

Really? I thought it was like this...
phonak_smartlink.jpg

Or is there one that goes onto your hearing aid?

I'm sorry Melissa, I don't know what you are referring to. (i.e. "I thought it was like this") Could you explain? Thanks!

Melissa,

Perhaps I'm not thinking of the correct name, but there used to be an FM system that snapped onto the bottom of a BTE aid. Now that I think about it, it might have been the Phonak MicroLink. The MicroLink has a receiver that snaps onto the bottom of a CI BTE speech processor.

Hear again is blind and prolly cannot see the picture. The smartling sx fm system is about the size of my blackberry length wise (maybe a bit longer) and half of the width of my blackberry (i have the curve). Hearagain is referring to the receiver the smartlink is the transmitter and the receiver snaps on to the bottom of the hearing aid.

Hear again is blind and prolly cannot see the picture.

Thanks for letting me know what Melissa was referring to.

The smartling sx fm system is about the size of my blackberry length wise (maybe a bit longer) and half of the width of my blackberry (i have the curve). Hearagain is referring to the receiver the smartlink is the transmitter and the receiver snaps on to the bottom of the hearing aid.

Yes, I was referring to the Smartlink receiver. I probably confused Melissa by not mentioning the transmitter. My apologies, Melissa.
i

Back