What is Your Pet Peeve?

or my least favorite, at the endo's office i used to be *his* medical miracle.

oh brother... :roll:

i get that too at my gp's and opthalmologist's office due to my prematurity. because of my medical records, they know how many weeks premature i was, so it's always a cause for discussion.

Turning cars that don't stop for me. They can obviously I'm blind. And to me they sound like they're going straight so I start walking and then they turn on me!

People who say "over there" when I ask where the bathrooms are.

Same as Hear Again and typeingtornado--people who think blind people can't sign!

When I'm with a friend at a restaurant, servers that ask my friend what I want to eat/drink. I can answer myself thanks.

People that talk down to me and then expect me to act deferential to them.

People that use their age as an excuse for everything. "Well I'm older than you so..."

Okay I think that's enough for now. :)

i get that too at my gp's and opthalmologist's office due to my prematurity. because of my medical records, they know how many weeks premature i was, so it's always a cause for discussion.

Same here...and they never fail to remind me I could have died. Thanks but uh, I lived!

I thought of another one. People that when I tell them I'm adopted go, "Are your brothers and sisters adopted too? Or just you?"

Another is people that keep referring to my parents as my "adoptive parents" and my biological parents as my "real parents."

I hate when my iPod jams. I mean it literally freezes and i can't do a thing with it. It annoys me to no end. The only solution is to do a complete reboot.

That is when I stopped using my iPod (2 years ago).

Maybe time to upgrade to a new one? As soon as this one that i have dies, I'm going to go get another. I have 1,500 songs on it. I'm almost as attached to it as i am to my Blackberry. :giggle:

Nika,
I cant quote yours because i relate to all of them. Its just amazing. People need a better understanding of K/deaf and blind people!

Turning cars that don't stop for me. They can obviously I'm blind. And to me they sound like they're going straight so I start walking and then they turn on me!

People who say "over there" when I ask where the bathrooms are.

Same as Hear Again and typeingtornado--people who think blind people can't sign!

When I'm with a friend at a restaurant, servers that ask my friend what I want to eat/drink. I can answer myself thanks.

People that talk down to me and then expect me to act deferential to them.

People that use their age as an excuse for everything. "Well I'm older than you so..."

Okay I think that's enough for now. :)

hi nika,

just wanted to introduce myself.

i'm hear again. i'm totally deafblind although i can hear with bilateral cochlear implants. i was born totally blind and was diagnosed with a mild hearing loss at age 3 although my former hearing aid audis think my loss may be congenital due to the fact that newborns weren't given hearing screenings back in the late 60s/early 70s like they receive today.

back on topic...

i can relate to all of your pet peeves -- especially people who say "over there" (or people who point to something AFTER i've already told them that i'm totally blind and *still* say "this" or "that"). <roll>

nika,

i'm totally blind and have an ipod shuffle that is completely accessible to me as a totally blind person. i know you said you no longer use an ipod, but i thought i'd mention this anyways in case you're looking for someone to use around your home.

Outside of our hearing senses; my 3 pet peeves are but not limited to:

1. Rubbing of styrofoam or glass with glass producing a high pitch noise. Makes my cervical vertebrae feel uneasy.
Learned something from House MD!

2. People who talk crap behind your back, but are afraid to tell that to you face up.
I think it is genetics for this thing, because my mother has it also.

3. A sudden non-important issue that requires me to take attention to it while I'm doing another at the same time.
ie. Eating dinner then suddenly a friend asks if I could do something for him right now.

hi nika, just wanted to introduce myself.

Hi Hear Again! I've been reading your posts avidly, especially the one where you're answering everyone's questions.

Just wanted to say I think you're awesome (not meant in any creepy way) and I really enjoy reading your posts.

Hi Hear Again! I've been reading your posts avidly, especially the one where you're answering everyone's questions.

Just wanted to say I think you're awesome (not meant in any creepy way) and I really enjoy reading your posts.

Hear Again has a fan club, don't you know? :giggle:

speaking of noises, one of my pet peeves is/are...

the sound of nails on a chalkboard (or people who squeak chalk as they write with it) ugh! :mad2:

Back