What is the alexander graham bell company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you like to see a copy of the poster N(B)AD offered for sale to its members of a young girl with her head split open exposing her ci and a tear rolling down her cheek. Or perhaps you would like to see the video tape of Nancy Blockhead telling a parent of a ci child on national television that it was wrong for the parents to have implanted their child and on that same tape where she produced an outdated cochlear implant and tried to pass it off as the current model? That was of course, before she gave herself the benefits of the cochlear implant she sought to deny to others. I have facts to back up my position, you do not when you state that N(B)AD was not anti-ci.

I guess in your book absolutely nothing would ever qualify someone or some organization as being anti-ci.

Once again, you fail to see the difference between a deaf adult making an informed choice for themselves, and a hearing parent making a decision for a deaf child based on a hearing, ethnocentric perspective.

And, the history of A.G. Bad's position on signing deaf certainly holds more negative implication for the deaf community than any you can come up with as related to the NAD. The fact still remains that NAD supports and serves all deaf, implanted or not, oral or signing. The same certainly can't be said for A.G. Bad. One only needs to look as far back as their recent postion on the Pepsico. commercial to see evidence of their discriminatory attitudes toward any but the oral deaf.

You are only half right, I have no idea what N(B)AD presently is but I do know that they spewed hate and were anti-ci. My guess is when they saw they way the deaf population was embracing the ci, their core values became secondary to their survival as an organization. Got to love their institutional integrity, ...not.

And not knowing the current position of the NAD completly disqualifies you to make any sort of judgement reagarding the ethical nature of their organization.

Once again, you fail to see the difference between a deaf adult making an informed choice for themselves, and a hearing parent making a decision for a deaf child based on a hearing, ethnocentric perspective.

Interesting that in your mind a hearing parent can make an informed decision to deny their child a cochlear implant but a hearing parent cannot make an informed decision to provide their child with a cochlear implant.

Just keep telling us that you are not anti-ci, right.

And not knowing the current position of the NAD completly disqualifies you to make any sort of judgement reagarding the ethical nature of their organization.

I have read the revised N(B)AD position paper on children and cochlear implants but I am not a member of the organization so I cannot say that their present actions are consistent with their current position paper. However, having read their previous anti-ci for children position paper and having dealt with their former President and Spokesperson, I am more qualified then you to render judgement on the ethical nature, or more accurately, less than ethical nature of the organization during that time period when their hateful position paper was in full force and effect.

Rick, excuse me but NAD's posistion on CIs has EVOLVED!!!! NAD is really getting a lot more accepting of CIs. I can totally understand why they were against CIs back in the 90's. The media hype made it sound like it was almost a cure......Ever think that NAD's simply gotten more moderate? MANY members here have CIs, and are members of NAD as well as their respective Deaf communities! I quite frankly think that you have just stereotyped the NAD and Deafies as extreme seperatists who hate hearing aids/CIs and who are ASL seperatists.
There are MANY MANY members who can hear and speak, and who are well educated, but who ALSO have the tool of Sign!

Interesting that in your mind a hearing parent can make an informed decision to deny their child a cochlear implant but a hearing parent cannot make an informed decision to provide their child with a cochlear implant.

Interesting that you keep reading things that aren't there. Please show me where I said anything of the kind....other than in your very active imagination.

Stick to the topic, rick48. No need to begin again with the attacks in order to get a thread closed just because you don't like what the posters are saying.

I have read the revised N(B)AD position paper on children and cochlear implants but I am not a member of the organization so I cannot say that their present actions are consistent with their current position paper. However, having read their previous anti-ci for children position paper and having dealt with their former President and Spokesperson, I am more qualified then you to render judgement on the ethical nature, or more accurately, less than ethical nature of the organization during that time period when their hateful position paper was in full force and effect.

" I have no idea what N(B)AD presently is"

The above is a direct quote from your post. By your own admission, you are disqualified from passing judgement on an organization you have admitted to knowing nothing about.

Our criticisms of A.G. Bad are directly realated to their practices and policies that are discriminatory against the signing deaf, and that are occurring at this very moment. Today, right now, as we speak. Their audist philosophies are centered in today.

You brought the NAD into the discussion. So keep it in the same frame of reference as the discussion regarding A.G. Bad. Today, right now. And right now, by your own admission, you know nothing about the organization, which disqualifies you from making any assessment of their ethics.

Rick, excuse me but NAD's posistion on CIs has EVOLVED!!!! NAD is really getting a lot more accepting of CIs. I can totally understand why they were against CIs back in the 90's. The media hype made it sound like it was almost a cure......Ever think that NAD's simply gotten more moderate? MANY members here have CIs, and are members of NAD as well as their respective Deaf communities! I quite frankly think that you have just stereotyped the NAD and Deafies as extreme seperatists who hate hearing aids/CIs and who are ASL seperatists.
There are MANY MANY members who can hear and speak, and who are well educated, but who ALSO have the tool of Sign!

Exactly. NAD has changed with the changing times, and kept current. A.G. Bad, however, is still mired in the audist attitudes and practices of the past.

Ah but Rick...
Different worlds, different rules !

Just want to point out that it's rarely an informed decision to implant a baby. Most parents are just following what a doctor has recommended to them, with no idea that there is a deaf community out there. The clinical/pathological view is the only one these parents are exposed to, so I wouldn't say the decision is particularly informed.

Just want to point out that it's rarely an informed decision to implant a baby. Most parents are just following what a doctor has recommended to them, with no idea that there is a deaf community out there. The clinical/pathological view is the only one these parents are exposed to, so I wouldn't say the decision is particularly informed.

I agree with you on this, Etoile. One sided information does not lead to an informed choice.

Wonder what makes you think that you are such an expert on the parental decision to give their child a cochlear implant.

I am the parent of a child with a cohclear implant who, in addition to obviously having made that decision, has also met and talked to literally hundreds of parents over the last 20 years who have also considered the cochelar implant for their child. I can tell you, based on those experiences, that you have no idea what you are talking about and while stringing along unsubstantiated cliches will elicit knee-jerk support from the usual anti-ci posters on this forum, it is not the reality.

The overwhelming majority of the parents I have met over the last 20 years made the cochlear implant decision after careful and deliberate consideration. The parents who chose to give their child a cochlear implant did not choose to give their child elective surgery merely because a doctor said to do it. They also were well aware of the existence of the deaf community and in almost every instance sought advice and counsel from that community. In fact, some of those very parents were deaf themselves. Your statement demonstrates the inability to intellectually grasp the many factors that entered into the parental decision to act on behalf of their child's best interests. Thus, you must reduce it to a superficial, yet inaccurate, cliche.

These parents, and I am also including those who ultimately decided not to choose a cochlear implant, took their roles as parents seriously and made a decision that they thought in their minds and hearts was in the best interests of their child. For many, it was not an easy decision and for virtually all, it was one that involved much time, effort and research.

To say that parents have rarely made an informed decision, in reality, has no impact upon their decision because we parents know it is so patently false. Maybe as you grow older and hopefully wiser you will appreciate how ridiculous your statement is. However, at this point in time your statement does expose you as someone who is either ignorant or is espousing an agenda or both.
Rick

Class of 11, so you are a college Freshman and as such you think that makes you an expert on the parental decision to give their child a cochlear implant.

I am the parent of a child with a cohclear implant who, in addition to obviously having made that decision, has also met and talked to literally hundreds of parents over the last 20 years who have also considered the cochelar implant for their child. I can tell you, based on those experiences, that you have no idea what you are talking about and while stringing along unsubstantiated cliches will elicit knee-jerk support from the usual anti-ci posters on this forum, it is not the reality.

The overwhelming majority of the parents I have met over the last 20 years made the cochlear implant decision after careful and deliberate consideration. The parents who chose to give their child a cochlear implant did not choose to give their child elective surgery merely because a doctor said to do it. They also were well aware of the existence of the deaf community and in almost every instance sought advice and counsel from that community. In fact, some of those very parents were deaf themselves. Your statement demonstrates the inability to intellectually grasp the many factors that entered into the parental decision to act on behalf of their child's best interests. Thus, you must reduce it to a superficial, yet inaccurate, cliche.

These parents, and I am also including those who ultimately decided not to choose a cochlear implant, took their roles as parents seriously and made a decision that they thought in their minds and hearts was in the best interests of their child. For many, it was not an easy decision and for virtually all, it was one that involved much time, effort and research.

To say that parents have rarely made an informed decision, in reality, has no impact upon their decision because we parents know it is so patently false. Maybe as you grow older and hopefully wiser you will appreciate how ridiculous your statement is. However, at this point in time your statement does expose you as someone who is either ignorant or is espousing an agenda or both.
Rick
I made your post back the way it was when you first wrote it. I'm not sure what made you decide to change it, but since you didn't change the ending, it makes more sense with what you originally wrote. Fortunately I'm e-mail subscribed to this thread, so I saw the original before you changed it.

You know nothing about me. Older and hopefully wiser? Tell me how old I am. Go ahead, tell me.

As for an agenda - how did you get that from what I said? I was advocating parents being well informed when they choose to implant their children. You're telling me they are well informed. Okay, fine, perhaps all the articles I've read are old, I can handle that. So where is the agenda?

And another thing: why are you so vehemently defensive? Why do you feel the need to personally attack someone (first paragraph; last two sentences) who you perceive as disagreeing with your views?

BTW, if a mod wants to split off all the CI-related posts into their own thread, that's fine with me - just don't delete them please.

I made your post back the way it was when you first wrote it. I'm not sure what made you decide to change it, but since you didn't change the ending, it makes more sense with what you originally wrote. Fortunately I'm e-mail subscribed to this thread, so I saw the original before you changed it.

You know nothing about me. Older and hopefully wiser? Tell me how old I am. Go ahead, tell me.

As for an agenda - how did you get that from what I said? I was advocating parents being well informed when they choose to implant their children. You're telling me they are well informed. Okay, fine, perhaps all the articles I've read are old, I can handle that. So where is the agenda?

And another thing: why are you so vehemently defensive? Why do you feel the need to personally attack someone (first paragraph; last two sentences) who you perceive as disagreeing with your views?

U arent the only one . It is nothing new with this poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back