What is the alexander graham bell company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Etoile -

I do not agree with you that bluntness denotes being "right".

He is speaking from personal experience, not your view or my view of his experience.

Frankly Etoile, until one actually has a child, one does not "know" what the experience is, how completely life changing being a parent is and then how you agonize over what is best for your child.
Perhaps I should have made this clear earlier, but I was restating what I thought was common knowledge in the Deaf community. Obviously parents of CI children have different views. Whether I have kids or not has no relation to what I said.

Wow, I so thank you. That is exactly what my paper is about. The emotional aspects of mainstreaming Deaf children and keeping them away from the Deaf community. Forgive me, I am not judging everyone, because many parents are hearing and ignorant, following the advice of people who want them to purchase there audio devices, but,,, forcing oralism without sign should be outlawed in my opinion. If you can point me towards any data about the subject that would be too cool. I just want to help to educate my hearing co-students about the Deaf community and I myself have so much to learn. At least when they do peer reviews of my essays, they can get a little information. I truly don't want to misrepresent anything though, so appreciate all of your imput. See me smile...

Shel, I know you get tired of the fight, but please don't quit speaking your mind, there is a million little kids out there that need your voice.

shel90 - I am sorry to hear that that is how you felt you were treated. The internet allows some people to have little regard for the fact that there is a human being on the other side of the screen name.

If you are passionate in what you believe shel90, then you must continue on sharing.
This was a good post. I also want to thank you for making this a civil discussion and not flinging insults as others have. It's entirely possible to say "you don't know what parents go through" without saying OMG YOU LITTLE KID YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT YOU'RE STUPID etc. (And once again, Rick had it just completely wrong in that sense. His entire argument was based on the idea that I'm 18 or something.)

That has already been discussed so many times. How is it that the Deaf community is responsible for getting info on EVERY baby born in EVERY hospital who has failed his/her hearing screening and breaking all kinds of confidentiality laws to get access to the parents' personal info just to contact them? I guess I can just give up my job so I can drive all over the state to each hospital to hand out leaflets. It is just too bad that I dont come from a family with money cuz I certainly cant afford the gas!

shel90- Why would the Deaf community look to the hearing professionals in the medical field represent them? The Deaf community wants to have a voice, then it needs to come from the Deaf community leaders. imo

Shel, I know you get tired of the fight, but please don't quit speaking your mind, there is a million little kids out there that need your voice.

Aww thanks...just that I have been oppressed and disregarded as someone not worthy to take into consideration all of my life simply because of my deafness has been very damaging to my self-esteem. Once I learned ASL, I was able to rebuild my self-esteem and learn how to advocate for my values and beliefs.

Yes, I had great oral skills growing up but despite having that, I wasnt treated with the same respect as my hearing peers were. My teachers yelled at me for "daydreaming" when they were the ones walking around a big room full of 30 plus kids talking. I got tired of breaking my neck trying to catch some words here and there so I gave up and got seriously bored hence the "daydreaming". Of course at the time, I blamed myself and my mom grounded me for not paying attention in class so many times. What was I supposed to do as a deaf child who identified herself as "hearing"?

Yes, I get tired of the fights but I wont give up. LOL!

shel90- Why would the Deaf community look to the hearing professionals in the medical field represent them? The Deaf community wants to have a voice, then it needs to come from the Deaf community leaders. imo

And the medical community, as first contact, needs to refer parents and children to representatives of the deaf community just as they refer them to implant centers. It has to come from the medical professional to avoid breach of confidentiality.

Ok...what do u propose when the Deaf community leaders try to work with the hearing professionals only to have the hearing professionals shut the door on them? It has been tried and I have been there in my professional career.

Perhaps I should have made this clear earlier, but I was restating what I thought was common knowledge in the Deaf community. Obviously parents of CI children have different views. Whether I have kids or not has no relation to what I said.

Etoile - Of course that is what you are "hearing" in the Deaf community. Thanks for clearing that up.

I find it interesting sometimes, when posting that I "know" exactly what I am saying, but at times will forget that the reader does not have my experiences or knowledge. It is the way of message boards.

Ok...what do u propose when the Deaf community leaders try to work with the hearing professionals only to have the hearing professionals shut the door on them? It has been tried and I have been there in my professional career.

Find an alternative.

Etoile - Of course that is what you are "hearing" in the Deaf community. Thanks for clearing that up.

I find it interesting sometimes, when posting that I "know" exactly what I am saying, but at times will forget that the reader does not have my experiences or knowledge. It is the way of message boards.
Exactly.
2thumbsup.gif

Curious..how is that helping deaf people by proposing them to get sterilized or the banishment of two deaf people getting married? Instead of respecting deaf people's communication needs, he thought of his own hearing needs. That is someone I could never ever respect. I feel so bad for the deaf people in those days under his regime. Yes, I may sound harsh but that's how I feel.

I feel sorry for his Deaf wife. Can you imagine how he must have pushed her and used her for an example. How would anyone feel if the "love of their life" were always trying to FIX them???? Pooor lady. I think maybe he had a control issue.

Find an alternative.

An do you have any suggestions as to what that alternative might be, without violating the confidentiality of medical records and putting physicians in danger of malpractice suits and license revocation?

Telling a popluation they should do something differently without providing a solution that allows them to accomplish that is useless.

smiles

Aww thanks...just that I have been oppressed and disregarded as someone not worthy to take into consideration all of my life simply because of my deafness has been very damaging to my self-esteem. Once I learned ASL, I was able to rebuild my self-esteem and learn how to advocate for my values and beliefs.

It sounds like you are doing a great job. I am so sorry that you had to suffer at the hands of ignorant jerks with working ears,,, I can't call them hearing, because they don't listen. It makes me almost ashamed to have my hearing. I am really worried that the hearing administrators and the boards of education are trying to trash our Deaf schools one step at a time. They only care about money and don't have a clue how Deaf kids feel. I don't have a clue how, but I want so much to make the public aware, because I honestly believe that a majority of hearies would fight it if they only knew.

We had a fight last year over the Deaf shool here in Oregon. They were trying to force the merger of the Blind school into OSD. We protested and rallied and raised a stink, and the sale got postponed, only to be brought up someday in the future. People didn't even know it was happening. Hearies were shocked when I told them and got their signatures for our petitions. Maybe if someone out there knew, and could get the message across. then maybe, the kids of the future could benefit. The audiologists, and implant companies have a lot of money for propaganda, and they are hard to fight. But it has to be done. I am not saying that technology is all bad, but I know in my heart that it is wrong to keep a Deaf child away from Deaf culture and signing. It breaks my heart, but I feel really powerless to help,,,, Still, I keep looking for a medium to educate hearies about the problems. So thanks for hanging in there. When my granddaughter gets ready for school, I pray that there is still a Deaf school to attend, or at least a good BI BI program. Thanks again

Yes, I had great oral skills growing up but despite having that, I wasnt treated with the same respect as my hearing peers were. My teachers yelled at me for "daydreaming" when they were the ones walking around a big room full of 30 plus kids talking. I got tired of breaking my neck trying to catch some words here and there so I gave up and got seriously bored hence the "daydreaming". Of course at the time, I blamed myself and my mom grounded me for not paying attention in class so many times. What was I supposed to do as a deaf child who identified herself as "hearing"?

It is just a joke that the oralists want to shirk the responsibilities and blame the Deaf community for some deaf children who become socially and linguistically delayed. Geez!

An do you have any suggestions as to what that alternative might be, without violating the confidentiality of medical records and putting physicians in danger of malpractice suits and license revocation?

Telling a popluation they should do something differently without providing a solution that allows them to accomplish that is useless.

jillio - From your post then, you are suggesting, that I as a hearing person dictate to the Deaf community how they find the solution to their percieved problem?:dunno2:

It sounds like you are doing a great job. I am so sorry that you had to suffer at the hands of ignorant jerks with working ears,,, I can't call them hearing, because they don't listen. It makes me almost ashamed to have my hearing. I am really worried that the hearing administrators and the boards of education are trying to trash our Deaf schools one step at a time. They only care about money and don't have a clue how Deaf kids feel. I don't have a clue how, but I want so much to make the public aware, because I honestly believe that a majority of hearies would fight it if they only knew.

We had a fight last year over the Deaf shool here in Oregon. They were trying to force the merger of the Blind school into OSD. We protested and rallied and raised a stink, and the sale got postponed, only to be brought up someday in the future. People didn't even know it was happening. Hearies were shocked when I told them and got their signatures for our petitions. Maybe if someone out there knew, and could get the message across. then maybe, the kids of the future could benefit. The audiologists, and implant companies have a lot of money for propaganda, and they are hard to fight. But it has to be done. I am not saying that technology is all bad, but I know in my heart that it is wrong to keep a Deaf child away from Deaf culture and signing. It breaks my heart, but I feel really powerless to help,,,, Still, I keep looking for a medium to educate hearies about the problems. So thanks for hanging in there. When my granddaughter gets ready for school, I pray that there is still a Deaf school to attend, or at least a good BI BI program. Thanks again

jillio - From your post then, you are suggesting, that I as a hearing person dictate to the Deaf community how they find the solution to their percieved problem?:dunno2:

No, I am saying that responding with "Find an alternative" is useless. It is not a matter of dictating. It is a matter of looking at a situation from all perspectives and using that to suggest viable alternatives, rather than simply shifting responsibility onto the deaf community for a problem involving legal and ethical boundaries to which they must adhere.

I understand your frustration, but you are not powerless. Keep speaking the message. If one more person gets it, then you have done your part to improve the situation.

No, I am saying that responding with "Find an alternative" is useless. It is not a matter of dictating. It is a matter of looking at a situation from all perspectives and using that to suggest viable alternatives, rather than simply shifting responsibility onto the deaf community for a problem involving legal and ethical boundaries to which they must adhere.

jillio - The Deaf community is adamant about being their own voice when dealing with the hearing professionals, involved in deaf issues. The responsibility lies within the leadership of the Deaf community to find their own solution.

Like I said, you are suggesting that I as a hearing person suggest "viable alternatives" for the Deaf community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back