What is the alexander graham bell company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jillio - The Deaf community is adamant about being their own voice when dealing with the hearing professionals, involved in deaf issues. The responsibility lies within the leadership of the Deaf community to find their own solution.

Like I said, you are suggesting that I as a hearing person suggest "viable alternatives" for the Deaf community.

And, I have explained, loml, that is not what I am suggesting at all. Your refusal to even engage in productive brainstorming to find a solution says it all. You simply shift responsibility to the Deaf Community without considering the implications of what you propose. You cannot ignore the confidentiality issues that firmly place the responsibility back on the medical community.

And, I have explained, loml, that is not what I am suggesting at all. Your refusal to even engage in productive brainstorming to find a solution says it all. You simply shift responsibility to the Deaf Community without considering the implications of what you propose. You cannot ignore the confidentiality issues that firmly place the responsibility back on the medical community.

jillio - This is not about me. Obviously you do not hold the same view on the capabilities of the Deaf community as I.

jillio - This is not about me. Obviously you do not hold the same view on the capabilities of the Deaf community as I.

forgive me for intervening, but are you still discussing CIs? I wonder if part of the responsibility my lie at the feet of the medical "experts" who represent all Deaf children as being broken and needing to be fixed! It would not be the first time that an industry made a huge profit by playing on the pain of another. Parents especially are facing a huge decision about CIs, especially when the implant age gets younger and younger. Above all else that I have read, I think the most striking thing was from the FDA,,, found on their web site about CI's --- more than once they stated that the risks of CI's are impossible to know because they have not been in use long enough to collect enough data,,, Especially in young children. To me, that is an experiment on a baby. People who chose an implant relying on honest and comprehensive information from both the Deaf community and the medical experts have my blessing. But I feel that the advertisements coming from the implant industry do anything but point a parent to the Deaf community for advice. Even if an implant is chosen, I still feel it is wrong to keep a Deaf child from the Deaf community. They have all they need to start life with there because they are included and nurtured. Implants can come later if necessary, but in the formative years, it is only right that they be exposed to their own culture and history and language. Maybe I have misunderstood this conversation, but I think that parents would seek the advice of the Deaf community if they were steered in that direction before they were offered a MIracle cure that costs 50K plus. So, it is the responsibility of the screeners to inform parents to seek out advice from the community. But if they did that, they might stand to lose a few trillion dollars. How many people do you suppose that work in the CI industry actually have a Deaf child themselves? I can be totally wrong, but in my heart, I think that all Deaf children should be included in Deaf culture, because when the implant is disconnected, guess what,,, they are still Deaf, and they should be proud of it. Forgive me for butting in,,,,

rick, it does seem that many of the parents who chose oral only seem to stereotype Deaf folks as radical ASL-only, residental school promoting, non ha/CI using people. A lot of the oral onliers still don't understand that YES.....you can equipt dhh kids with a full toolbox.Perhaps if more AG Bellers were less resistant to a full toolbox philsophy, then they'd be more accepted in the Deaf community.

Frankly Etoile, until one actually has a child, one does not "know" what the experience is, how completely life changing being a parent is and then how you agonize over what is best for your child.
loml, Yes, I've never been a parent. HOWEVER, I have been the result of an oral only philosophy. Even my parents say that they should have done things differently.........Being a parent and wanting the best for your kid doesn't preclude making mistakes or looking back and thinking "we should have done this or that."

forgive me for intervening, but are you still discussing CIs? I wonder if part of the responsibility my lie at the feet of the medical "experts" who represent all Deaf children as being broken and needing to be fixed! It would not be the first time that an industry made a huge profit by playing on the pain of another. Parents especially are facing a huge decision about CIs, especially when the implant age gets younger and younger. Above all else that I have read, I think the most striking thing was from the FDA,,, found on their web site about CI's --- more than once they stated that the risks of CI's are impossible to know because they have not been in use long enough to collect enough data,,, Especially in young children. To me, that is an experiment on a baby. People who chose an implant relying on honest and comprehensive information from both the Deaf community and the medical experts have my blessing. But I feel that the advertisements coming from the implant industry do anything but point a parent to the Deaf community for advice. Even if an implant is chosen, I still feel it is wrong to keep a Deaf child from the Deaf community. They have all they need to start life with there because they are included and nurtured. Implants can come later if necessary, but in the formative years, it is only right that they be exposed to their own culture and history and language. Maybe I have misunderstood this conversation, but I think that parents would seek the advice of the Deaf community if they were steered in that direction before they were offered a MIracle cure that costs 50K plus. So, it is the responsibility of the screeners to inform parents to seek out advice from the community. But if they did that, they might stand to lose a few trillion dollars. How many people do you suppose that work in the CI industry actually have a Deaf child themselves? I can be totally wrong, but in my heart, I think that all Deaf children should be included in Deaf culture, because when the implant is disconnected, guess what,,, they are still Deaf, and they should be proud of it. Forgive me for butting in,,,,

No need to apologize or ask forgiveness. Your opinions here are welcome. We need people adnocating for an dspeaking out for the needs--psychosocial, educations, emotional, and educationall--of deaf/Deaf children. The oralists have held tyhe podium for far too long, and the results have been far too negative for not just deaf children, but for the Deaf/deaf community as a whole.

jillio - From your post then, you are suggesting, that I as a hearing person dictate to the Deaf community how they find the solution to their percieved problem?:dunno2:
You're hearing? I had no idea. Interesting.

You're hearing? I had no idea. Interesting.

Yep, hearing, and not the parent of a deaf child, either. Affiliation with the deaf is only through the Nathional Cued Speech Associastion.

Yep, hearing, and not the parent of a deaf child, either. Affiliation with the deaf is only through the Nathional Cued Speech Associastion.
Interesting, I knew he was a cueing advocate but I thought he was deaf and raised as a cuer. Silly me! Doesn't diminish his credibility to me, just kind of a "oh, new information" thing.

Interesting, I knew he was a cueing advocate but I thought he was deaf and raised as a cuer. Silly me! Doesn't diminish his credibility to me, just kind of a "oh, new information" thing.

Exactly. New information that clarifies perspective.

Perhaps I should have made this clear earlier, but I was restating what I thought was common knowledge in the Deaf community. Obviously parents of CI children have different views. Whether I have kids or not has no relation to what I said.

You put out a post attacking parents of cochlear implanted kids by making an inaccurate statement that they rarely make an informed cochlear implant decision and you are upset because a parent of a cochlear kid called you out and exposed your inaccuracies and unsubstantiated statements--give me a break.

What is your experience with parents of cochlear kids? I have stated mine and based on that considerable experience, you do not know what you are talking about but you seem more willing to perpetuate myths and misrepresentations then discussing issues.

I quite frankly do not care what you and the anti-ci crowd think about me, however, never confuse exposing the falsity of your arguments with being defensive. Thus, your attempt to turn this discussion into a referendum on an individual's personality is always a true sign of a weak argument or position. That you and your little friends chose to do so, just proves my point. So go ahead and attack me all you want but the one thing you and they cannot attack is the fact that cochlear implants have had a tremendous positive impact upon the lives of many children and their families. More and more children are being implanted and there is nothing you or the anti-ci crowd on this forum can do about it, and that, makes me feel great because these kids will have the best of both worlds if they choose so.

You are right, I do not know your chronological age but intellectually, with respect to this issue, you need to grow up and hopefully you will as you get older and hopefully wiser.

Finally, your feeble attempt to justify your "position" by saying you were just repeating what is "common knowledge" in the Deaf Community is utterly ludicrous. If that truly is what passes for "common knowledge" in the Deaf Community, then they are as woefully misinformed as you.

However, from those in the Deaf Community who I know and have met over the years, their knowledge of, and respect for, the parental decision to choose a cochlear implant for one's child is the complete anthithesis of yours.
Rick

You put out a post attacking parents of cochlear implanted kids by making an inaccurate statement that they rarely make an informed cochlear implant decision and you are upset because a parent of a cochlear kid called you out and exposed your inaccuracies and unsubstantiated statements--give me a break.

What is your experience with parents of cochlear kids? I have stated mine and based on that considerable experience, you do not know what you are talking about but you seem more willing to perpetuate myths and misrepresentations then discussing issues.

I quite frankly do not care what you and the anti-ci crowd think about me, however, never confuse exposing the falsity of your arguments with being defensive. Thus, your attempt to turn this discussion into a referendum on an individual's personality is always a true sign of a weak argument or position. That you and your little friends chose to do so, just proves my point. So go ahead and attack me all you want but the one thing you and they cannot attack is the fact that cochlear implants have had a tremendous positive impact upon the lives of many children and their families. More and more children are being implanted and there is nothing you or the anti-ci crowd on this forum can do about it, and that, makes me feel great because these kids will have the best of both worlds if they choose so.

You are right, I do not know your chronological age but intellectually, with respect to this issue, you need to grow up and hopefully you will as you get older and hopefully wiser.

Finally, your feeble attempt to justify your "position" by saying you were just repeating what is "common knowledge" in the Deaf Community is utterly ludicrous. If that truly is what passes for "common knowledge" in the Deaf Community, then they are as woefully misinformed as you.

However, from those in the Deaf Community who I know and have met over the years, their knowledge of, and respect for, the parental decision to choose a cochlear implant for one's child is the complete anthithesis of yours.
Rick
Wow, man. It must suck to be such a hateful person. Furthermore, it must be awful to be so sure that your truth is the only truth...how terribly limiting to have such a closed mind that you can't consider other ideas and perspectives. I pity you, I really do.

But what I've just said is terribly off-topic, so let's move on.

Mod's Note:

It's getting hot in here, so with that - The thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back