What is the alexander graham bell company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, but cochlear implant? those two talk about hard of hearing using HA to hear normally. what about cochlear implant?
I googled for hearing aid ada non-disabled but I'm sure if you do the same thing with "cochlear implant" instead you will get similar results.

I wonder what is their definition of "normal" hearing? That is risky to enact this because all of us have different benefits with our "corrective devices".

For me, I appear to have normal hearing with my hearing aids cuz I speak so well and can fool hearing people into thinking that I can understand everything that is being said. I am very good at playing the guessing game so I better stop doing that if I want accodomations. I will just stop using my voice and use ASL 100% of the time. That is what it sounds like I should be doing if I am going to get accodomations. *sighs*
I don't think it works this way. I think it means that if hearing aids REALLY DO restore you to "normal" hearing, you are not disabled. If you "pass" as hearing but you're not ACTUALLY hearing, then you are still disabled under the ADA. It's a matter of what the corrective devices do for you...if they really do make you equal to a hearing person then you're not disabled. If you're still not equal to a hearing person, then you're disabled.

not really entirely

Well..the public has so many misconceptions about deaf people, ASL, cochlear implants and hearing aids so I wouldnt be surprised if a cochlear implant was labeled as hearing aids.

I don't think it works this way. I think it means that if hearing aids REALLY DO restore you to "normal" hearing, you are not disabled. If you "pass" as hearing but you're not ACTUALLY hearing, then you are still disabled under the ADA. It's a matter of what the corrective devices do for you...if they really do make you equal to a hearing person then you're not disabled. If you're still not equal to a hearing person, then you're disabled.

Maybe when the policymakers who were developing this addendum, they meant it that way but in the general public, the possibility of having view on CIs is that it restores normal hearing is very likely due to my recent experiences with hearing people telling me what they believed about CIs.

Well..the public has so many misconceptions about deaf people, ASL, cochlear implants and hearing aids so I wouldnt be surprised if a cochlear implant was labeled as hearing aids.
Yeah, I think the average person doesn't know the difference. Like you said, they all aid you in hearing, therefore they are all hearing aids. :dunno2:

Thank you, but cochlear implant? those two talk about hard of hearing using HA to hear normally. what about cochlear implant?

Obviously, Boult, the same would apply to CI, BAHA, or HA. HA was only used as an example, but would apply to any assisstive listening devise.

To the public, a cochlear implant is probably seen as a hearing aid cuz it aids in hearing.

Yeah, the article says example of assistive devise. If someone can, as has been claimed by more than one parent on this forum, hear "everything" that is said to them from even a room away, or when the speaker is standing at their back, can talk on the phone without problems, etc., and claims to function as a "hearing person" in all respects, they would most likely loose any claim to rights under the ADA. However, if they went in saying, "I can do this or that with my CI, but I still have limitations in this area or that area, then they would still be entitled to accomodations. But it would no doubt take a court case. Also, this refers more to employers than anywhere else. If for instance, that person claimed to be able to talk on the phone without problems, and it was a part of their job duties, they could not request to be permitted to do any business usually conducted over the phone through email later on. Or if they said they could communicate orally in all situations, they could not later request, after they were hired, to have an interpreter in group meetings. The employer would be within their rights to refuse accommodations at that point.

Obviously, Boult, the same would apply to CI, BAHA, or HA. HA was only used as an example, but would apply to any assisstive listening devise.

We have gone over this "assistive listening device" many time and I have told you that CI and HA ARE NOT ALD at all!

If you continue to believe it is then prove it (fyi: I already googled and they all says no, it is not, period.)

End of discussion regarding ALD.

none of you can back up with citations of CI and ADA none... (I spent hours on that and can't find one... *shrug* )

Just another F.U.D. going on...

CIAO

none of you can back up with citations of CI and ADA none... (I spent hours on that and can't find one... *shrug* )

CIAO
Simply because CI's can never make people equivalent to hearing people, while hearing aids can. :cool2:

We have gone over this "assistive listening device" many time and I have told you that CI and HA ARE NOT ALD at all!

If you continue to believe it is then prove it (fyi: I already googled and they all says no, it is not, period.)

CIAO

:confused:

I have no idea what u are talking about.

Thank you Etoile and jillo.
Says who? Are you referring to Bonnie Tucker's story that was posted on DN long time ago?
Nope. Am a law geek, and I have read about cases like this.

Simply because CI's can never make people equivalent to hearing people, while hearing aids can.

That is a commonly accepted and ignorant belief. What could anyone expect when hard-of-hearing people are, generally, seen and not heard (on both sides)?

That is a commonly accepted and ignorant belief. What could anyone expect when hard-of-hearing people are, generally, seen and not heard (on both sides)?
It was a joke. Perhaps not a funny one. Sorry.

CIAO

Now. how about we get back on topic. The thread is about the A.G. Bad association.
You can tell me that all you want, but you are incorrect. HA and CI are both assisitive listening devises, as they assist the individual with hearing and they are both devises. Better check the ADA crriteria.

Now. how about we get back on topic. The thread is about the A.G. Bad association.
You can tell me that all you want, but you are incorrect. HA and CI are both assisitive listening devises, as they assist the individual with hearing and they are both devises. Better check the ADA crriteria.

When you say "Now. how about we get back on topic." you should do that AFTER you get back off-topic.... Looks more consistent... as if you mean it..

Now. how about we get back on topic

When you say "Now. how about we get back on topic." you should do that AFTER you get back off-topic.... Looks more consistent... as if you mean it..

Now. how about we get back on topic

Do you have anything productive to add to the topic of A.G. Bad?

Cloggy it's a pun. AG Bell is really kind of biased, so its bad. Hence AG Bad.

Cloggy it's a pun. AG Bell is really kind of biased, so its bad. Hence AG Bad.
No, really....

Like the sign for "CI" that looks like the sign for "devil"?
Both "puns" are insulting !

btw... isn't Deaf community biased?? Isn't it all a matter of perspective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back