What is Lent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, i asked friends of mine who are catholics, i asked them if there are a different btwn catholics and christians, high rating said yes, they believe christians is protestants category. As my personal beliefs is those who recieved Christ as their personal Savior is a christian, not just believe about Jesus, but much deeper than that and also, whatever church you go isnt make you a christian even just being baptize also not make you a christian or even communions.

Didn't notice your post until now. Your Catholic friends who think Christians are the "protestant denominations" need to talk to their priest and get their story staright :D

Isn't today a lent day ?

Today is known as Ash Wednesday and, yes it is the official start of Lent for Catholics.

Yeah. for catholics, it's traditional, not requirements. I have lot of friends saying, must follow, if you do, you will go to Heaven, if not, need to confess. I asked them, if its so, where in the Bible that said we should, NONE, NADA. It should be everyday rest of your life, but if makes mistakes of any kind, (does not imply of lent or ash wed), need to confess directly toward God, not priest. Jesus is our High Priest and nowhere in the Bible said, you must go to the priest (in NT that is).

I will address the whole confession thing later but one thing I do know is that Lent does not make a trip to Heaven automatic. I think that is old teaching from pre-Vatican times that some people think still exists. It does not.

I have one friend who told me that he plans to go to catholic church today and plans to give up eating meat for 40 days.

Lent day is weaker version of "fasting" traditions.

Pretty stupid if you ask me but cool way to reinforce yourself to quit something that you want to.

Lent reminds us of what Jesus did in the dessert when he was tempted by the devil. It is not a WEAKER version of fasting but a reminder. The requirements for fasting are that we only have enough food during that day to equal one meal and no fancy foods. This is the requirement so that people who do need to eat something during the day (maybe you have medication to take or something) do not have to worry about breaking the fast.

During these times of fasting some people are exempted nursing/pregnant mothers, children under age 14, older people over 65 (though many of these still choose to fast) and people who are sick.

Not eating meat is, yes a tradition, but it is not called fasting; it is called abstaining from meat and is only required on Ash Wednesday and the Fridays during Lent. If someone chooses to abstain from meat all through Lent that is a personal choice. (I did that one year, very difficult when you are used to having certain things every week).

Catholics are encouraged to give something up for Lent (fast from it). Young children may give up chocolate for Lent (a major commitment in their eyes), many older Catholics donate their morning coffee money to a charity or do some extra volunteer work or many other things. There is no SET thing for anyone to do.

I have one friend who told me that he plans to go to catholic church today and plans to give up eating meat for 40 days.

Lent day is weaker version of "fasting" traditions.

Pretty stupid if you ask me but cool way to reinforce yourself to quit something that you want to.

I am not stop eat meat during lent time except for ASH Wed and good Friday right before Easter, but sure need to cool my temper with anti catholic bashers here during my 40 days till after Easter.

To be honest, i asked friends of mine who are catholics, i asked them if there are a different btwn catholics and christians, high rating said yes, they believe christians is protestants category. As my personal beliefs is those who recieved Christ as their personal Savior is a christian, not just believe about Jesus, but much deeper than that and also, whatever church you go isnt make you a christian even just being baptize also not make you a christian or even communions.

I took philosphy of religion at college years ago, from what I know Catholics and protestants are somewhat difference. From philospy viewpoint, protestants are more conservative Christians while Catholic are more (shoot forgot the word for it, it starts with word p) Christians. Yes big difference between those two religions even thou we believe in same God, Jesus Christ our Lord. I made a choice, I choose Catholic over protestants because I believe everyone is saved even thou they are atheist and agnostic, they are still saved. Protestants only believe the one who accept Jesus Christ as their savior are the saved one and rest of the world goes to hell. I don't agree with this thelogy.

I took philosphy of religion at college years ago, from what I know Catholics and protestants are somewhat difference. From philospy viewpoint, protestants are more conservative Christians while Catholic are more (shoot forgot the word for it, it starts with word p) Christians. Yes big difference between those two religions even thou we believe in same God, Jesus Christ our Lord. I made a choice, I choose Catholic over protestants because I believe everyone is saved even thou they are atheist and agnostic, they are still saved. Protestants only believe the one who accept Jesus Christ as their savior are the saved one and rest of the world goes to hell. I don't agree with this thelogy.

I get your point, but as you being a Catholic is your choice, but look down on you, no way, jose. Not my style. As either protestants, or catholics or anything else doesn't lead the way. Christ alone, He has to take your place inspite of our religions. You know what I mean? Like i said many times on other threads, you may look at my expressions of my face than what my actual expressions, bec it's based on where you grew up or associate or something. It is much easier face to face than online.

no... What is Lent ? That was cathloic ash wednesday and every friday until easter day... that mean that lent you cant not eat the meat... must be eat fish.. that is what called to lent.....

I am not stop eat meat during lent time except for ASH Wed and good Friday right before Easter, but sure need to cool my temper with anti catholic bashers here during my 40 days till after Easter.

Are you calling out me? :ugh3:

the real aim of lent is all above all else to prepare men for celebration of the death and resurrection of christ the better the preparation the more effective the celebration will be. One can effectively relive of mysteryonly with prufield mind and heart. The purpose of provide that purification by weaning men from the sins and selfishness throught self-denial and prayer by creating in them the desire do to God's will and make his kingdom come by making it come first of all their hearts. On the surface this belief sounds sincere and heartfelt. However it does not agree with the bible ,God's holy words, the only source of true spirtual knowledge and understanding (John 17:17 ). God, through the apostle Paul, commends christians to continue you in the things which you have learned and have been assured of knowing of whom you have learned them and from a child you have known the holy scriptures, which are able to make wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All the scriptures is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine for reproof for correction for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be prefect throughtly furnished unto all good works( II Tim. 3:14-17). First understand that the celebration of the death and Resurrection of Christ. to which the preceding quote refers is Good Friday and Easter Sunday and Passover and the days of bread were observed by Jesus Christ and apostles and new testament church. God commands his people to observe them today ( I Cor. 5: 7-8). Bible say that we are purifield-cleansed set apart and made pure in God's sight by the shed blood of Jesus Christ. ( Heb. 9 :11-14, 22; 13:12) . This along with faith (Acts 15:9) and humbly submitting to and obey God ( Jms. 4:7-10) through his truth and prayer ( John 17:17; I Tim. 4:5) makes us clean before by yourself create within you the desire to do God's will.

Today, Lent is used for sin for penance which sorrow for sin and conversion to God. The Lent will give a worshipper the control overhimself that he needs to purify his heart and renew his life....

During Lent Catholics like myself were taught to give up something we really enjoy. Hmmm. I enjoy doing nice things for people, so that's it. I'll give up doing that for 40 days. No one will get anything nice from me as a reminder that God loves them more than anyone else, including me.

Maybe I'll just be indifferent. :P Ha ha! Just kidding!

I get your point, but as you being a Catholic is your choice, but look down on you, no way, jose. Not my style. As either protestants, or catholics or anything else doesn't lead the way. Christ alone, He has to take your place inspite of our religions. You know what I mean? Like i said many times on other threads, you may look at my expressions of my face than what my actual expressions, bec it's based on where you grew up or associate or something. It is much easier face to face than online.

Yeah I know what u mean about Christ alone. He came to me one night 10 years ago then I knew God do exist. I would never listen to any protestants if they told me about Him. No one can touch my heart not even the bible nor words from others. Only Him, I would listen. He knows me too well. Thanks for ur time and sorry I did not respond to ur posts sooner than I wanted to. I have been so busy with work and will be busier for next two months. I won't be here much as I used to be. God bless u.

Yeah I know what u mean about Christ alone. He came to me one night 10 years ago then I knew God do exist. I would never listen to any protestants if they told me about Him. No one can touch my heart not even the bible nor words from others. Only Him, I would listen. He knows me too well. Thanks for ur time and sorry I did not respond to ur posts sooner than I wanted to. I have been so busy with work and will be busier for next two months. I won't be here much as I used to be. God bless u.

OH thats ok,, I understand, I don't want you to think I expect you to answer and ignore your responsiblities that you need to do. Well, I don't do what either protestants or catholics tells me. But as for Bible goes, I learned alot from them compare my life and theirs. Really, there is no difference btwn them. Bec if you noticed the reasoning and the cultural behind that the purpose of the writings. But using the Bible by saying, the Bible says this and that. It's based on how you say it. Like Lent, or other things like do it for 7 days, do it for 40 days and etc, God expecting us to surrender 365 days a year. What really gives me pondering thoughts, it's from Oswald Chambers and even emphasize what christians and churches does wrong of perspective, what God called us to do than what I "must" do for Him. Many get all mixed up how they view it instead of having a solitary moments with God and speak to you and me thru His Word in the Bible. The problem is many miss out what God is really saying and using the Bible in the wrong way. That's where I got it wrong myself in those areas, till lately, I learn something from it in every aspect of life.

It's not easy to explain about between Catholic and Christian. Jazzy, I'm not a Catholic Basher. It just bothers me how Catholic church is so screw up and it has been doing this for years and years. I'm not blaming you. I'm talking about Higher Authority like Bishop, Cardinals and Pope who makes those rules for all those Catholic people. I'm guessing you were brought up that way. It's hard for you to understand why some people are trying to explain about the difference of Catholic, Christian, JW, etc. I was never a Catholic but my mother is Catholic and the last time she went to church is before she married my father. They are no longer married now. My father doesn't believe in God. Me, I've always been a God believer all my life and seen several types of churches and I don't fit in. The only thing that I truly believe in is my Bible. I know there are several false in different kind of religious including Christian and Catholic. I was in JW for few months and I hate it. I feel that it's not my thing.

It's not easy to explain about between Catholic and Christian. Jazzy, I'm not a Catholic Basher. It just bothers me how Catholic church is so screw up and it has been doing this for years and years. I'm not blaming you. I'm talking about Higher Authority like Bishop, Cardinals and Pope who makes those rules for all those Catholic people. I'm guessing you were brought up that way. It's hard for you to understand why some people are trying to explain about the difference of Catholic, Christian, JW, etc. I was never a Catholic but my mother is Catholic and the last time she went to church is before she married my father. They are no longer married now. My father doesn't believe in God. Me, I've always been a God believer all my life and seen several types of churches and I don't fit in. The only thing that I truly believe in is my Bible. I know there are several false in different kind of religious including Christian and Catholic. I was in JW for few months and I hate it. I feel that it's not my thing.

I know what you have been going thru. I grew up with different churches also. As the regulations in the church, is what I have a problem with. Many are more like pharisees than Christ-likeness. Yeah, it is my repsonsiblity to weighting the way of the teaching that equally what the Scriptures are saying. I know humanist is way off how they view the Bible, I know Pentecostals is way off how they interpret about the tongues in Book of Acts, and I know Catholics is way off about how Catholic using confession, the book of prayer have to follow and etc, Baptist is varies of differences about legalistic is way off, judgemental attitudes, way off, inspite by saying what the Bible says, but the problem is, that is not how the Bible says and etc. Assembly of God the way of healing and also tongues, way off as much how Pentecostal uses, but the attitude toward people the difference btwn Pentecostal is lot more unforgiving and judgemental type of people, but Assembly God isnt that way like the Pentecostal, but I myself raised Independence Baptist is really very legallistic, and condemning contemporary style of worshipping as music style goes and clothing and etc, that is the kind i grew up in, but here in Ohio is different than it was in Okla. You name it, church of christ is way off as much as judgemental also, not all of them are. There is soo much I experience different denominations churches. My responsibility is to study and and let God reveal Himself to you personally, as me personally likewise. So many gave up, and getting all mixed up thinking that's what christian believes this and that. which many described as of world's views isnt the same what I believe.

Yeah I understand how u feel about Catholic church and I did not mean to call u Catholic basher, only ones who come to me and told me I am not being "saved" and tell me bad things about it. it boiled me many time, over again and again many years, it never stop. I made my choice to go back to Catholic after being agnostic for many years. My mother was raised Baptist and she saw many bad things then. That was when she became Catholic, that is where she found God there so do I. I do not found Jesus in bible or baptisit or luthern but in Catholic Church. He was there and still is there. All churches are His,no matter what or how much damaged pastors or priests done to people over again and again years and years. I am sorry about ur father does not believe in God, hope one day he will find Him as I did 10 years ago. Glad u found God in your bible but me found God in different way.

OH thats ok,, I understand, I don't want you to think I expect you to answer and ignore your responsiblities that you need to do. Well, I don't do what either protestants or catholics tells me. But as for Bible goes, I learned alot from them compare my life and theirs. Really, there is no difference btwn them. Bec if you noticed the reasoning and the cultural behind that the purpose of the writings. But using the Bible by saying, the Bible says this and that. It's based on how you say it. Like Lent, or other things like do it for 7 days, do it for 40 days and etc, God expecting us to surrender 365 days a year. What really gives me pondering thoughts, it's from Oswald Chambers and even emphasize what christians and churches does wrong of perspective, what God called us to do than what I "must" do for Him. Many get all mixed up how they view it instead of having a solitary moments with God and speak to you and me thru His Word in the Bible. The problem is many miss out what God is really saying and using the Bible in the wrong way. That's where I got it wrong myself in those areas, till lately, I learn something from it in every aspect of life.

I only know from what I know in my heart, I know God exist since when I became deaf. I know God don't let me go easy. I know God has not forsake me because of things I done wrong in my past and now and future. I know there is no firery hell so how hell does everyone tell me I will be burned in hell if I am not being saved? Because they said in the bible over again and again try to control me and put fear in me, that is not what I expeirence God in me. They believe what they want to believe, bible good for them but for me bible is just a book. Bible is only guideline for people who need it to stay on good path. I have known that already. People made choice to stay good or stray off the path then u get it back strike. Bible is good for u because u need it and I do not need it. I have Him already and He is my guide, teacher, protector, comforter, and healer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back