What is Lent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mecooncat

Reaction score
I was talking to my husband about Lent. He looked up the website and found it. He bookmarked it for me to read. He was telling me that Catholic church is twisting the bible about lent and other stuff. He told me just go what the bible says not what the Catholic says. I find it interesting to read.

The True Meaning of Lent

Gee... what else is new? Bible is misinterpreted by people for many years include salvery and crusaders.

I agree. Lent wasn't observe by the Lord. Only Lord's Supper and Baptism, nothing else. And also, our effort to abstain in particular day wasn't what the Lord teach. The Lord taught us to surrender and He give us strength to abstain. "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers has excellent example the meaning of surrender, how we live and etc, where many have no idea and understanding what christians is all about, even christians themselves have no idea what God called us to do. And true, amny have no clue the idea what is the Bible and the purpose. Thanks for the website.

Gee... what else is new? Bible is misinterpreted by people for many years include salvery and crusaders.
Crusaders is catholics. Slavery isn't christians promote it. Very early time many follow the priest, bec many do not have Bible. That is where it go wrong after the apostle were no more. Like myself, where ever church I go, then I study and also cultural and etc, it is personal duty to study carefully, and that's where most people go wrong in many different way. The key is relational with God than just being religious. Bec I've been there in many different way, and that's why, I spend so much time with the Lord and that's where I learn little by little and getting the point what God is saying. That's where He show me litle by little, bec of my lacking and He know me more than myself.
God show each of us differently and the overlook about ourselves and etc. This is where many has miss out, and even myself. Many many just go to church and thn walk out and not have a personal relationship with God to reveal Himself you in a personal way. I don't meant by seeing Him visible. Many go to church religiously than have a personal relationship with God, that's where it went wrong.

I agree. Lent wasn't observe by the Lord. Only Lord's Supper and Baptism, nothing else. And also, our effort to abstain in particular day wasn't what the Lord teach. The Lord taught us to surrender and He give us strength to abstain. "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers has excellent example the meaning of surrender, how we live and etc, where many have no idea and understanding what christians is all about, even christians themselves have no idea what God called us to do. And true, amny have no clue the idea what is the Bible and the purpose. Thanks for the website.

I didn't know what lent is until my hubby show me this. You're Welcome! :)

I didn't know what lent is until my hubby show me this. You're Welcome! :)
(Smile), anytime and it is great to learn, seeing around you and have a husband to edify and really, should be edify one another instead of one sided. (Smile)

I was talking to my husband about Lent. He looked up the website and found it. He bookmarked it for me to read. He was telling me that Catholic church is twisting the bible about lent and other stuff. He told me just go what the bible says not what the Catholic says. I find it interesting to read.

The True Meaning of Lent

:dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: Praise the Lord! I am very happy you found seek truth! Long time ago I already knew it!

mecooncat, I give you this is a very good about Dr. Alberto Rivera, Ex-Jesuit Priest's story life! I have few books. Dr. Alberto Rivera is a Christian with Jesus Christ the Saviour now. He ex catholic and ex jesuit. He said found KJV Bible is truth. He leaved Catholic of many reason because this link here....

"Dr. Alberto Rivera"

Crusaders is catholics. Slavery isn't christians promote it. Very early time many follow the priest, bec many do not have Bible. That is where it go wrong after the apostle were no more. Like myself, where ever church I go, then I study and also cultural and etc, it is personal duty to study carefully, and that's where most people go wrong in many different way. The key is relational with God than just being religious. Bec I've been there in many different way, and that's why, I spend so much time with the Lord and that's where I learn little by little and getting the point what God is saying. That's where He show me litle by little, bec of my lacking and He know me more than myself.
God show each of us differently and the overlook about ourselves and etc. This is where many has miss out, and even myself. Many many just go to church and thn walk out and not have a personal relationship with God to reveal Himself you in a personal way. I don't meant by seeing Him visible. Many go to church religiously than have a personal relationship with God, that's where it went wrong.

Do you realized that catholics and christian share same bible and have same God? Holy bible tell us this -

* Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

* Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

* The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

Above passages clearly showed that authors of bible approved the practice of slavery and don't see any wrongdoing in having slavery thus christians/catholic practiced this slavery for many years before some pp finally woke up and put stop to this nonsense.

I understand what you re trying to say so is it possible if I pray to God/Jesus but dont go to church or hanging out with bible-thumping people ( I.E if i decide to isolate myself in wilderness without bible and devote my life worship Jesus/God) will I have a clear path to heaven?

Do you realized that catholics and christian share same bible and have same God? Holy bible tell us this -

* Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

* Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

* The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

Above passages clearly showed that authors of bible approved the practice of slavery and don't see any wrongdoing in having slavery thus christians/catholic practiced this slavery for many years before some pp finally woke up and put stop to this nonsense.

I understand what you re trying to say so is it possible if I pray to God/Jesus but dont go to church or hanging out with bible-thumping people ( I.E if i decide to isolate myself in wilderness without bible and devote my life worship Jesus/God) will I have a clear path to heaven?
I'm glad you brought that up and u got a good point. The word slave is numerable meaning. As in english word is one of the poorest language. Where do you work? (Don't answer that, its for ur thought and personal answer). The verse here meant whereever you work, employee and slave is the same, employer and master is the same. What about miad,butcher, chauffer? They are part of the slave. Slave word now in days missing so much by thinking relating the south. Black mayor in atlanta said few years ago, that his grandparents had a great master and treating them very well. Even, his grandparents master got furious with other master by mistreating the slaves. Its based on the view point. Ok. Think about this. What would happen, if you stole ur boss property? You will suffer consequences. What if master mistreating the slave? Master also will suffer consequences. Even, Nt added, if master mistreating the slave, the master should be aware that's the master have his/her Master and that master will giving account for been done to the slaves. That's where many overlook the whole passage and taking the negative view and take the blame on whatever race they are.

I'm glad you brought that up and u got a good point. The word slave is numerable meaning. As in english word is one of the poorest language. Where do you work? (Don't answer that, its for ur thought and personal answer). The verse here meant whereever you work, employee and slave is the same, employer and master is the same. What about miad,butcher, chauffer? They are part of the slave. Slave word now in days missing so much by thinking relating the south. Black mayor in atlanta said few years ago, that his grandparents had a great master and treating them very well. Even, his grandparents master got furious with other master by mistreating the slaves. Its based on the view point. Ok. Think about this. What would happen, if you stole ur boss property? You will suffer consequences. What if master mistreating the slave? Master also will suffer consequences. Even, Nt added, if master mistreating the slave, the master should be aware that's the master have his/her Master and that master will giving account for been done to the slaves. That's where many overlook the whole passage and taking the negative view and take the blame on whatever race they are.

Point is bible is written by people in different times so why should we follow the people who live differently from us?? Time changes but bible dont change and leaving us to interpret based on our selfish beliefs/customs.

Point is bible is written by people in different times so why should we follow the people who live differently from us?? Time changes but bible dont change and leaving us to interpret based on our selfish beliefs/customs.
Time changes. Yes. Cultural changes. No. God changes. No. If you read Book of Jeremiah, and notice his time is very similar as of today. The way of life of the people in the pass is no different as of today. What its like today is very same story as in 3000 yrs ago, 4000 yrs ago. Nothing is new. Only thing new is what people have created, but as of human themselves, nothing is new of way of living.

I want to say that Catholics do not promote slavery. As a catholic I take offense to that! :(

History makes many mistakes and we today learn different!

About not interpreting the Bible correctly: Catholics use a method that looks at the historical context of the writings and the geographical context. If we followed the Bible exactly we would be cutting off peoples hands and feet still! And no one could eat pork either.

As for Lent and Jesus. Lent, for Catholics, reminds us of Jesus going into the dessert for 40 days and being tempted by the devil. We put it right before Easter so that we can remember that Jesus died for us and the things we do and do not do - also how we can better serve Him here.

I want to say that Catholics do not promote slavery. As a catholic I take offense to that! :(

History makes many mistakes and we today learn different!

About not interpreting the Bible correctly: Catholics use a method that looks at the historical context of the writings and the geographical context. If we followed the Bible exactly we would be cutting off peoples hands and feet still! And no one could eat pork either.

As for Lent and Jesus. Lent, for Catholics, reminds us of Jesus going into the dessert for 40 days and being tempted by the devil. We put it right before Easter so that we can remember that Jesus died for us and the things we do and do not do - also how we can better serve Him here.

Despite what you said, people stil blame catholic for being crusaders and slaughtered millions of people in God's name.

You are correct that we have to learn from our history but it doesnt mean that we can put this under rug. If God is all-know and all-powerful, he should had stop catholic become too poweful and kill millions as crusaders. oh wait that s right God is forgving person so he forgave catholic for their wrongdoing in past ;)

I didn't kill anyone. :D You want to blame me for sins of many years ago?

God also gave people FREE WILL so that we make our own decisions. Plus Pope John Paul II tried to apologize for things that Catholic Church did in History.

Plus at time of Crusades there were no "Catholics" or "Protestants". Only Christians. Don't forget Crusades happened in 1095-1291 and Reformation happened in 16th century. So if you want to blame anyone, blame everyone.

I didn't kill anyone. :D You want to blame me for sins of many years ago?

God also gave people FREE WILL so that we make our own decisions. Plus Pope John Paul II tried to apologize for things that Catholic Church did in History.

Plus at time of Crusades there were no "Catholics" or "Protestants". Only Christians. Don't forget Crusades happened in 1095-1291 and Reformation happened in 16th century. So if you want to blame anyone, blame everyone.

Are you sure about that one? Because someone pointed out that i was gravely mistaken to clump christians and crusaders together. She claimed that it was catholic's wrongdoing and nothing to do with christians.

Let see what other christians have to say about this. Be ready to put on flameproof suit.

Look up "Crusades" and "Protestant Reformation" on Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back