What is it like at Gallaudet University?

that is why 120 freshmen did not come back to Gallaudet after the winter break. IIRC, there were 300 new students last fall. I don't have the exact figures.
yes, deaf radicals from Bienvenue to younamethem have brainwashed Deaf students that using voices and signed at the same time is a no-no.
No wonder so many transferred to NTID/RIT, CSUN and others (NC where JFK is).

When I visited Gallaudet in October, I didn't really have a great experience. I might go back and visit again. I was accepted and got a scholarship, so it's worth my time to consider going there. However, when I visited, I got this unwelcoming vibe from some of the students. I was touring with my hearing aunt, and I spoke to her WHILE I signed. Any time I ever used my voice with her, I made sure to sign. A girl at a nearby table in the cafeteria called me out on it and asked why I was talking at a deaf university, and told me I don't belong there.

One boy showing us around was HOH, and told us so. When we were outside, he would use his voice for my aunt and signed for me as well--when we got into the cafeteria, he immediately refused to speak because people would get mad.

I will be Gallaudet student in fall this year and already got accepted as transfer student. I'm going move to DC in late July because of mandatory Jumpstart program that I'm required to enroll, 1 month prior to fall class begin.

I will keep posted about how Gallaudet University looks like. :)

LOL At first, My hubby dislikes Gally that he can speak while they gave him dirty attitudes. He had no choice but kept going on and evenutally some of them start to accept who he was like me. I used to reject any one who can speak and does not know sign for years before I met my hubby. Now I realize that anyone who are deaf and can speak are awesome as long as they are cool people to hang out with me.

forgive me?? :D i think some of us felt threatened that seeing lots of deaf/hoh who speak on gally campus and i felt like, they were trying to act better than I was. It was long long long time. I have moved on and if i see anyone who are deaf and thinks they are better than I am because they can speak. I simply ignore them and enjoy my life in my own beautiful world.

Yeah... same with a few oral deaf friends from DeviantART. I remember she told me that she's not sure about going to there because she didn't learn ASL yet (EDIT: Oh and she just started to learn some, time to time.). But she's kinda of afraid to go to there because of discrimination.

I think it is only better if they just should welcome them as long as hearing or oral deaf people don't oppress anybody or ASL users don't bash them.

Yeah... same with a few oral deaf friends from DeviantART. I remember she told me that she's not sure about going to there because she didn't learn ASL yet (EDIT: Oh and she just started to learn some, time to time.). But she's kinda of afraid to go to there because of discrimination.

I think it is only better if they just should welcome them as long as hearing or oral deaf people don't oppress anybody or ASL users don't bash them.

I can tell if some oral deaf people who wants to make efforts to talk to me then I do not mind those people. Only if they act better like, "well, i can speak, if you need help i can speak for you." :roll: I didn't ask about that help. I have been doing on my own for years and doing ok in the hearing world. I suppose some oral deaf people are nervous if they know nothing about ASL. That's understandable. But some of them need to be strong because of the hearing world so harshly anyway. Tell your friends who are just learning, just be themselve that should not be problem.

I can tell if some oral deaf people who wants to make efforts to talk to me then I do not mind those people. Only if they act better like, "well, i can speak, if you need help i can speak for you." :roll: I didn't ask about that help. I have been doing on my own for years and doing ok in the hearing world. I suppose some oral deaf people are nervous if they know nothing about ASL. That's understandable. But some of them need to be strong because of the hearing world so harshly anyway. Tell your friends who are just learning, just be themselve that should not be problem.

I was being myself, and I made it clear to the people I was talking to that I wasn't fluent in ASL. I started learning last summer, and it was October when I visited. Still, they refused to accept me as someone who belonged because they said I was an oralist. I'm not an oralist, my parents just mainstreamed me and I grew up speaking. I'm trying my best to learn ASL, and I'm using interpreters this semester. Gallaudet's undergraduate education isn't exactly praised, but there's certainly some people there who had a strong dislike for anyone raised differently than them. For those reasons, I might not go there.

When I visited RIT, I was accepted, and there was so much diversity--I saw people who would sign only, people who would talk and were only starting to learn ASL, and people who grew up using other methods. They also have a better education.

I was being myself, and I made it clear to the people I was talking to that I wasn't fluent in ASL. I started learning last summer, and it was October when I visited. Still, they refused to accept me as someone who belonged because they said I was an oralist. I'm not an oralist, my parents just mainstreamed me and I grew up speaking. I'm trying my best to learn ASL, and I'm using interpreters this semester. Gallaudet's undergraduate education isn't exactly praised, but there's certainly some people there who had a strong dislike for anyone raised differently than them. For those reasons, I might not go there.

When I visited RIT, I was accepted, and there was so much diversity--I saw people who would sign only, people who would talk and were only starting to learn ASL, and people who grew up using other methods. They also have a better education.

Those students should not have said the stuffs to you. Were those kids freshmen? if so. then i can see why they said the stuff. From my understanding, that some old friends of mine told me that there are growing number of oralist people who attends to gally. If you like RIT the better because of your major is in there. It would make sense. Were you accepted as a RIT student or as a NTID?

can tell if some oral deaf people who wants to make efforts to talk to me then I do not mind those people. Only if they act better like, "well, i can speak, if you need help i can speak for you." I didn't ask about that help. I have been doing on my own for years and doing ok in the hearing world. I suppose some oral deaf people are nervous if they know nothing about ASL. That's understandable. But some of them need to be strong because of the hearing world so harshly anyway. Tell your friends who are just learning, just be themselve that should not be problem.
Oh yeah..agreed. I do think that if you're really openminded about ASL, even if you don't know it with a Deaf person, they will be openminded and teach you the ins and outs of Deaf culture and ASL.
That said, I do think there are some really bad "deafer then thou" people out there.

made it clear to the people I was talking to that I wasn't fluent in ASL. I started learning last summer, and it was October when I visited. Still, they refused to accept me as someone who belonged because they said I was an oralist. I'm not an oralist, my parents just mainstreamed me and I grew up speaking. I'm trying my best to learn ASL, and I'm using interpreters this semester. Gallaudet's undergraduate education isn't exactly praised, but there's certainly some people there who had a strong dislike for anyone raised differently than them. For those reasons, I might not go there.

Nattie, I am so sorry that you had that experiance. I wish SO badly that more deafer then thou students and people understood that just b/c someone can hear and speak, it doesn't automaticly make us an AG BAD oralist. It's not our fault that our parents mainstreamed and oralized us. We didn't have a chance to be exposed to ASL and Deaf culture! I wish more raised Deaf kids understood that! God!!!!! At least one good thing......this generation (that is still in school) is going to be more hoh friendly...there are a lot of hoh kids in Schools for the Deaf now, and it's also going to be super rare for someone to be voice off.

Nattie, I am so sorry that you had that experiance. I wish SO badly that more deafer then thou students and people understood that just b/c someone can hear and speak, it doesn't automaticly make us an AG BAD oralist. It's not our fault that our parents mainstreamed and oralized us. We didn't have a chance to be exposed to ASL and Deaf culture! I wish more raised Deaf kids understood that! God!!!!! At least one good thing......this generation (that is still in school) is going to be more hoh friendly...there are a lot of hoh kids in Schools for the Deaf now, and it's also going to be super rare for someone to be voice off.

Yes, I've noticed that! I think it might be good for them to see oral students as well--maybe that will help bridge the gap. They can see that we are deaf just like them, but our parents chose a different path.

Those students should not have said the stuffs to you. Were those kids freshmen? if so. then i can see why they said the stuff. From my understanding, that some old friends of mine told me that there are growing number of oralist people who attends to gally. If you like RIT the better because of your major is in there. It would make sense. Were you accepted as a RIT student or as a NTID?

NTID does admissions for ALL the deaf students, so NTID had to accept me first, then my college at RIT had to accept me (like the College of Liberal Arts or the College of Science). If I go, I'll be attending RIT for my bachelors.

Nattie, I think you would LOVE NTID! I know it's actually not too unusual to see oral kids at NTID, and 20% start off knowing no sign.
One thing that I think should happen in Deaf ed,is an active reaching out to mainstream dhh teens......I would LOVE to see, instead of teachers and parents thinking "oh oral only is fine for dhh kids. If they can hear and speak, that's enough and they don't need the "crutch" of ASL, reach out so that dhh kids can learn ASL as a second language.

wow, that's horrible. I thought Gallaudet would be the perfect place for me seeing as how I've spent all these years at a hearing school, misunderstood.

I've depending on speech to communicate ever since I started learning as a child so I think Gallaudet definitly would not be a good choice for me. I don't think I'd fit into the Deaf Community at all because I never got to be around other DHH people and then the whole issue about CIs and being deaf or something...in fact, I don't even know if it's a good idea to get involved in DHH activities around my area because I don't know how to sign and I use my voice only.

Mikatehgr8t, I think you make a lot of sense. Unfortunately blogs are often the place where people come to rant, not rejoice. The comments that were posted here before do not reflect the majority of students attending Gallaudet. Most students here at Gallaudet are too busy with their studies, work and having fun to explore around the blogs to respond to questions. I have reached to this conclusion because I am a fourth year student here.
The social aspect--there are many student organizations and activities both on and off-campus that students get involved in. Along with the usual fraternity and sorority hosted events at any college/university, we also are in close proximity to the nightlife at H Street and Adams Morgan. Since Gallaudet is only two miles away from the US Capitol, we could easily tap into many events surrounding the Capitol. I have found it to be very easy to get involved with arts and cultural events happening here. Just like all other colleges and universities, we have parties and many social events. It is very easy to use surrounding public transportation to get around Washington, D.C. There are metrobuses, taxicabs, the Metro and much more.
At Gallaudet, you will have many opportunities to learn American Sign Language, including the New Signers Program. Not only that, you will become immersed in a world of signing which means continuous stimulation and practice. There aren’t many places out there that are offering the same thing Gallaudet is offering.
If you want to know more about what Gallaudet is like from an actual current student’s view instead of those other bloggers, you could email me at Zachary.ennis@gallaudet.edu. I got plenty more to share with you!

I appreciate you giving me your contact information but if what people say about being outcasted if you speak incredibly well for your disability then I think I better stay away from that kind of school.

I've been judged & discriminated enough for being hearing impaired throughout my grade school, middle school, & high school years, I don't really wanna be judged & discriminated for communicating orally and having a hearing loss for my college years. :aw:

wow, that's horrible. I thought Gallaudet would be the perfect place for me seeing as how I've spent all these years at a hearing school, misunderstood.

I've depending on speech to communicate ever since I started learning as a child so I think Gallaudet definitly would not be a good choice for me. I don't think I'd fit into the Deaf Community at all because I never got to be around other DHH people and then the whole issue about CIs and being deaf or something...in fact, I don't even know if it's a good idea to get involved in DHH activities around my area because I don't know how to sign and I use my voice only.

I appreciate you giving me your contact information but if what people say about being outcasted if you speak incredibly well for your disability then I think I better stay away from that kind of school.

I've been judged & discriminated enough for being hearing impaired throughout my grade school, middle school, & high school years, I don't really wanna be judged & discriminated for communicating orally and having a hearing loss for my college years. :aw:

I was judged when I first entered Gallaudet but I ignored them and eventually found MANY others who were like me at Gallaudet (former oral-only deaf) and made friends with them. Later on, I was able to meet many deaf people from different backgrounds and forget about those few who had small minds. Mind you, it was a few but it seemed like a lot at the time.

Now, I am a full time member of the Deaf community and nobody questions me about my oral upbringing. If they do, I tell them that it was my parents who made the decision not mine.

I was judged when I first entered Gallaudet but I ignored them and eventually found MANY others who were like me at Gallaudet (former oral-only deaf) and made friends with them. Later on, I was able to meet many deaf people from different backgrounds and forget about those few who had small minds. Mind you, it was a few but it seemed like a lot at the time.

Now, I am a full time member of the Deaf community and nobody questions me about my oral upbringing. If they do, I tell them that it was my parents who made the decision not mine.

I've spoken to a few people since I last responded to this, and I think this happens to a lot of people who enter Gallaudet. You're just a new student who the hardcore DDDDDeaf people attack, and of course, they're the most vocal about how they feel regarding oral kids/cued speech kids/whatever you are. Everyone else doesn't really seem to care as long as you learn sign eventually. Whenever you start there (from what I've gathered) it SEEMS like everyone is going to judge you, but again--that's just a small group of people who are closed minded. Ignore those people and move on to better things!

That's what I'm gonna do. :lol:

oh my god. i checked the fee. knocked me off. its even worst for international student. and some of comments here put me off. i wanted 2 learn asl but in properly way and proper class. not online or few classes where my motivation is lower.i just thought i should just forget it completely. and get back to british life :(. my mum just said i could still visit america. im still sad cos i wanna get so involved. not just holiday :P but nevermind. sometime in life things are meant for others and not others and other things are for latter others and not for former others. thats life. i said it so i should also apply to it myself. at least im not in developing countries. england is not 2 bad compares to most other countries in term of living and money etc but america for me is the best. i want the best in my life u know wot i mean. well i guess i just get back to other plan B. peace ya all. :)

oh my god. i checked the fee. knocked me off. its even worst for international student. and some of comments here put me off. i wanted 2 learn asl but in properly way and proper class. not online or few classes where my motivation is lower.i just thought i should just forget it completely. and get back to british life :(. my mum just said i could still visit america. im still sad cos i wanna get so involved. not just holiday :P but nevermind. sometime in life things are meant for others and not others and other things are for latter others and not for former others. thats life. i said it so i should also apply to it myself. at least im not in developing countries. england is not 2 bad compares to most other countries in term of living and money etc but america for me is the best. i want the best in my life u know wot i mean. well i guess i just get back to other plan B. peace ya all. :)

It's not peaches and creme here in America. In fact, me and a couple of my friends had a discussion on FB that if things get any more ridiculous and if we have the means to leave - we would/will! Our government just very narrowly averted a complete shutdown because our Congressmen/women could not reach a final agreement concerning the budget. They aren't discussing anything, they are fighting and bickering like small children!

You can get scholarships to lessen your fees. Gallaudet would allow you to become fluent in ASL much more quickly than just a few classes. Gallaudet isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, but most of those people are just the few with bad experiences, and from what I've heard, it has changed a lot recently. The majority of students now at Gally were mainstreamed, I believe. Someone posted the statistics and a link if you want to search for it.

I don't really interact here but I found this interesting... I would like to tell you first where I fit in in all this.

-Grew up knowing no sign
-Learned sign in JumpStart's New Signer program
-Currently a student at Gallaudet

Gallaudet is cliquey. Gallaudet is harsh on sign. Gallaudet will throw your identity, your perception of your deafness, and your philosophy on communication through a wringer, shredder, tornado, and a firestorm.

The level of English at Gallaudet is subpar. The level of ASL at Gallaudet is... pretty good. I say "pretty good" because there is a large portion of students who sign very very very well, another portion who grew up signing English-like but still very ASL, and then we have new signers / oral (or Hard of Hearing as they tend to be labelled regardless of their actual hearing status)

Gallaudet's level of education in regards to "regular" education are atrocious. The GSR program devalues your general education to the point of literally learning nothing but doing the work of a heavy-duty course. Despite this, I firmly believe that major-related courses are on par with hearing universities.

I agree that too many tenured professors couldn't sign "YOU NAME WHAT" correctly if their lives depended on it. Fortunately most of them are old and maybe we will replace them as they retire or die off...

Are you oral? Do you like it? Do you have friends who you can easily communicate with? Gallaudet might not be for you... while I could be considered an "Oral Success", I quite literally could not hold a two-way conversation. Even the littlest bit of sign was heaven for me... I do not know if that would be the same for you.

Will you talk on campus? Will you hang out with other students who talk? Be prepared for dirty looks, exclusion, and (probably) difficulty understanding your teachers.

Are you hearing? God be with you, because we sure won't be.

There are a lot more new signers these days... and they seem to be more accepted, as well. I am happy to see that, however, their level of ASL has seemed to decrease as a group.... we shall we see how that pans out over the decade.

There are too many tenured professors there that don't sign worth beans, and I haven't said anything about their receptive skills! Lol....

So ... so .. true :giggle:

Then ... there are the flaming liberal professor's that indoctrinate everything they "teach"

But, to be fair, there are plenty of good professor's at Gally. It's just the bad ones you tend to remember.

thought:

What if deaf parents of a biological hearing child sent their kid to Gallaudet. Let's assume the child's first (L1) language was ASL, but later on the kid learned speech and is proficient in both.

Is this child going to be considered deaf or hearing by the eyes of his deaf 'judges', peers?
Will he be accepted by the main deaf culture or population?

He/She would be considered a CODA.

http://coda-international.org/blog/about/

Last edited:
Yes, I've noticed that! I think it might be good for them to see oral students as well--maybe that will help bridge the gap. They can see that we are deaf just like them, but our parents chose a different path.

NTID does admissions for ALL the deaf students, so NTID had to accept me first, then my college at RIT had to accept me (like the College of Liberal Arts or the College of Science). If I go, I'll be attending RIT for my bachelors.

NTID had accepted me too! I close think about that I will go to NTID this fall. :) Because of I got Academy Suspend. :(

Back