What is it like at Gallaudet University?

mikatehgr8t

Reaction score
I've never even really socialized with hard of hearing/deaf people during my life, which sucks. I'd like to finally be around people like me and I think maybe Gallaudet would be a good choice (should prob fully learn ASL first though lol) but I was wondering--how is the social aspect of the university, from a student's view? When I say social aspect I mean things to do during the weekend, like are there any campus parties and fun events where you get to meet not only Gallaudet students but any student (surrounding universities, etc)?

I don't think that makes sense lol...but that's the best way I can put my words.

Actually it does hurt. My wallet still hasn't recovered. :roll: Gallaudet offers very little for a ridiculous amount of money.

very little?

what were you looking for?

very little?

Yes, very little. I was looking for a decent education and went in bright eyed and ready to learn only to be disappointed. In my 4 semesters there as a full time student, I only had 3 teachers that signed fluently. At first I thought it was just a bad first semester. After the second, I realized it was partly my fault for not researching who signs and who doesn't (stupid in its own right since it's GALLAUDET FREAKING UNIVERSITY- I expected the teachers to be halfway decent signers since it's a university for the Deaf.)
During my third and fourth semesters, I chose teachers who signed but I still wasn't satisfied.
The lousy teachers (not all, obviously) aside, the dorms were horrible... HORRIBLE! Do I really need to explain? The food was worse. And I can go on.

Before people start flaming me, I just want to say that I know countless people found themselves at Gallaudet and they're bottom-of-their-heart thankful to the university and I'm happy for them. I'm just not in agreement. I think there's loads of room for improvement and in some areas, improvement is mandatory.

very little?

And to answer your question, I think mostly I was looking for a Deaf-centered place. Where communication is never a problem.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I paid thousands of dollars for what? I still don't know.

Why don't you visit Gally first to get a feel for it before you decided to attend it? Perhaps there's a student who can host you overnight?

Shelia's suggestion is the best one so far.

Why don't you visit Gally first to get a feel for it before you decided to attend it? Perhaps there's a student who can host you overnight?

Shelia's suggestion is the best one so far.

Agreed.

My time with gallaudet was the good one of my life and didn't regret it. I loved it there. Again, it depends on who, what, and why you want to attend to gallaudet. =/

Mikatehgr8t, I think you make a lot of sense. Unfortunately blogs are often the place where people come to rant, not rejoice. The comments that were posted here before do not reflect the majority of students attending Gallaudet. Most students here at Gallaudet are too busy with their studies, work and having fun to explore around the blogs to respond to questions. I have reached to this conclusion because I am a fourth year student here.
The social aspect--there are many student organizations and activities both on and off-campus that students get involved in. Along with the usual fraternity and sorority hosted events at any college/university, we also are in close proximity to the nightlife at H Street and Adams Morgan. Since Gallaudet is only two miles away from the US Capitol, we could easily tap into many events surrounding the Capitol. I have found it to be very easy to get involved with arts and cultural events happening here. Just like all other colleges and universities, we have parties and many social events. It is very easy to use surrounding public transportation to get around Washington, D.C. There are metrobuses, taxicabs, the Metro and much more.
At Gallaudet, you will have many opportunities to learn American Sign Language, including the New Signers Program. Not only that, you will become immersed in a world of signing which means continuous stimulation and practice. There aren’t many places out there that are offering the same thing Gallaudet is offering.
If you want to know more about what Gallaudet is like from an actual current student’s view instead of those other bloggers, you could email me at Zachary.ennis@gallaudet.edu. I got plenty more to share with you!

Really? That's not the impression I got. I got the impression that it was basically a Deaf college. That is unless it changed from the 80's or 90's, etc?

There are more oral deaf students there now.

And you are happy for them, right?

Yeah, thrilled. :lol:
But when you think about it, the fact that more oral students attend that university for the Deaf shows the limitations placed on oralism. You know? I mean, why aren't they attending hearing universities and lipreading everything?

Yeah, thrilled. :lol:
But when you think about it, the fact that more oral students attend that university for the Deaf shows the limitations placed on oralism. You know? I mean, why aren't they attending hearing universities and lipreading everything?

My sentiments, exactly, Sir......

Back