What is it like at Gallaudet University?

I mean, why aren't they attending hearing universities and lipreading everything?

Probably for the same reasons that any deaf or HOH person might choose Gally. Maybe they choose a school like Gally or NTID because they are oral DEAF or oral HOH and would like accommodations served by a school tailored to meeting the needs of those who are deaf and hoh and the company of peers who are also deaf and hoh? One I know is there taking the opportunity to learn ASL in an immersive environment, something that wasn't available where he grew up, and to pursue deaf studies.

Probably for the same reasons that any deaf or HOH person might choose Gally. Maybe they choose a school like Gally or NTID because they are oral DEAF or oral HOH and would like accommodations served by a school tailored to meeting the needs of those who are deaf and hoh and the company of peers who are also deaf and hoh? One I know is there taking the opportunity to learn ASL in an immersive environment, something that wasn't available where he grew up, and to pursue deaf studies.

I can dig it. When I graduated from high school, I knew absolutely NO sign language. For some foolish reason I got accepted into NTID a year later, and it was a nightmare for me. I got kicked out a semester later. A couple years after I felt I had acquired enough signing skills, I went to Gallaudet to coax them into accepting me. I aced all the tests but was turned down because of my history at NTID. Ach.

I can dig it. When I graduated from high school, I knew absolutely NO sign language. For some foolish reason I got accepted into NTID a year later, and it was a nightmare for me. I got kicked out a semester later. A couple years after I felt I had acquired enough signing skills, I went to Gallaudet to coax them into accepting me. I aced all the tests but was turned down because of my history at NTID. Ach.

Heh, what did you do?

I'll be waiting right here with :popcorn:

:)

The comments that were posted here before do not reflect the majority of students attending Gallaudet. Most students here at Gallaudet are too busy with their studies, work and having fun to explore around the blogs to respond to questions.
Really? It's not super cliquey?
And yes, I thought it wasn't that unusual for oral deaf kids to attend Gally or NTID. That's why they have the new signers program. And yes, at the Mainstream conference they had booths!!!!

Yeah, thrilled. :lol:
But when you think about it, the fact that more oral students attend that university for the Deaf shows the limitations placed on oralism. You know? I mean, why aren't they attending hearing universities and lipreading everything?

What makes you think it has to do with accommodations?

From my personal experience, some want to go to hang out with people just like themselves. To fit in.

What makes you think it has to do with accommodations?

From my personal experience, some want to go to hang out with people just like themselves. To fit in.
Daredevil, not just accomondations. There are some good hearing colleges that have decent accomondations. But maybe they feel that being entirely in the hearing world isn't all it's cracked up to bed, and they want to discover their Deaf identity.

Daredevil, not just accomondations. There are some good hearing colleges that have decent accomondations. But maybe they feel that being entirely in the hearing world isn't all it's cracked up to bed, and they want to discover their Deaf identity.

Exactly. Hence, try to "fit in".

Kinda OT, but Daredevil, do you think it would be a good idea for Dhh middle/ high school mainstream (or even good Deaf School) programs to actively seek out oral deaf students?
I really think that many middle and high school dhh kids who are oral, and who may not be too behind academicly would really thrive in an academic setting where teachers are somewhat familiar with dhh kids, and where they'd have the support of other dhh peers. I honestly think many AG Bell teachers and experts are still very clueless as to the fact that while many oral sucesses may not need a Sign using program in elementary, they still hit the fourth grade glass ceiling AND social issues are just SO bad for most dhh kids.
I got the impression that it was basically a Deaf college. That is unless it changed from the 80's or 90's, etc?
There are more oral deaf students there now.
You do know that Deaf Ed has never been some sort of voice off paradise? Even most kids who attend Schools for the Deaf get a very heavy dose of speech, and can orally talk. I have NO freaking clue why that portrayal of Schools for the Deaf even exist!!! Yes, there are some students and people who are voice off Deafies.....but even kids who went to the big name oral schools have gone there!

I went to Gallaudet in the late 1980s. It was a good time, good to party, students were serious about study, less deaf radicals. Now I heard it is worse.

I'm curious to know more about Gallaudet. Are the classes conducted both verbally and visually? Do all students have to be proficient in ASL?

I don't live in the States hence my lack of knowledge on the university.

I went to Gallaudet in the late 1980s. It was a good time, good to party, students were serious about study, less deaf radicals. Now I heard it is worse.

I think it is about the same. Some students are serious about their studies and some are just party heads.

I went to Arizona State University which was listed as one of the top notorious party colleges in the 90s. Saw the same s***.

Deaf people are humans just like hearing people are. Some are party heads and some arent.

Mine's the 1990's. I didn't hear anything about if it were worse. I heard that there are more oralist kiddos which makes sense to me. I found it strange that lots of oralist people who are willing to attend to gallaudet knowing that gallaudet is designed for ASL users. oh well.

Mine's the 1990's. I didn't hear anything about if it were worse. I heard that there are more oralist kiddos which makes sense to me. I found it strange that lots of oralist people who are willing to attend to gallaudet knowing that gallaudet is designed for ASL users. oh well.

Feline, yes... there is lot, lot more mainstream students attending Gally nowadays unlike it did in our past times. Several years ago someone told me it was like 50% mainstream and 50% deaf student ratio there which really surprised me as how times changed. Ours was abut 80% deaf and 20% mainstream at the time (ours in 80s). I think it's changed mainly due to some state schools closed thus mainstream was increased in last ten years (and still do).

I agree with Shel90 that it remains pretty much same. Almost every college has both worlds therefore it's indifference with Gally. (speaking of parties and etc)

I had met some of them and asked them why. Just like me, some were tired of trying to fit in with the hearing world while some others wanted to see what the Deaf community was like.

I had met some of them and asked them why. Just like me, some were tired of trying to fit in with the hearing world while some others wanted to see what the Deaf community was like.

Same for my hubby. He could have gone to other university that they accepted him. But He went to gally anyway.

by the way, I do remember lots of 1980's students at gallaudet. they were more ASL uers than my time. My 1990's that there were more oralist students like a solid or a little more than 1/4 of them. since there have a much improvement program called "NSO" (i forget what its stand for) for oralist students to take ASL during august month before school starts in Sept.
yea web730 is right about it.

Back