What is it like at Gallaudet University?

Just a thought, networking with the deaf at Gally or RIT/NTID is extremely helpful. Gally does internships and RIT has co-ops, so you also get real life experience that looks good on your resume. When you do networking there and make connections, it's so much easier to get a job. All my friends from Gally and RIT have pretty good jobs right now or have good job prospects.

Other universities wouldn't mention you were deaf if a prospective employer contacted them, if that's what you're asking though. They can't give that kind of information out, from what I understand.

You sound kind of like me, except I'm not implanted. I LOVE the deaf community and I'm happy with where I decided to go to school. I haven't visited CSUN but I'm sure it's nice. If you have any questions about RIT/NTID or Gally you can PM me if you want.

Gah! I really want a year off to learn more about college, job workforce, and most importantly, reality; however, at the same time, I want to finish up my courses at my community college, so I can transfer to either CSU or UC.

I'm anxiously waiting for my book,Book Of College Majors 2012 by Collegeboard, to arrive in the mail, so I can learn more about all kinds of careers/majors and their job fields.

I think CSUN will be a better choice than UC for me because of what you said. Better support and I'm sure that CSUN's system has over time been updated to provide the best accommodations for the D/HH. I'm sure the D/HH has recognized CSUN to be up there with Gally/NTID for one of the best deaf schools, I assume, so CSUN should have the same or close to as Gally/NTID academic and internships opportunities for the D/HH.

But then again... one deaf guy did go to Princeton from a deaf school-- not any fancy high school ranked at one of the bests, mind you. He majored in Architecture. One of those teamwork jobs making models for buildings.

My mind is full of... :(

Well think abt it.....if you attend a hearing university, you wouldn't know of the dhh friendly employers, and you also wouldn't have to break the ceiling of being the first deaf employee, as well as not having to deal with dumbassed hearies who think that we're not exactly bright b/c of the way we talk.
Trust me I know. I've been done with college for a while (went to hearing college) and STILL don't have a job! :( Been searching too......going to hearing college is only good if you're on a Harvard level or if your college offers a unique course of study.

This is what I'm worried about--even when I pick my major. Going to college and getting a good job screams, "Well you better do damn good at networking and be the top of your class. Not only that, but to apply what you have learned to reality. You have to know what many people don't know about."

Get a C and be an Average Joe when it comes to majoring in Business Administration, Law, or the likes, and you are screwed once you step in the job market looking for good jobs.

And you are absolutely right about not knowing any D/HH employers, but anyone could call them while attending any school. Just say "Hey I'm attending _______ and currently studying in _______ major, so you think you can hold a job position for me when I graduate?"

Can I do that? I need to pick up a book on networking...

Gallaudet University is...interesting.
I am not a Gally student myself but I visited there a couple of months ago for the Academic Bowl competition. I also have a lot of friends who go there. So, from an outsider's point of view, it's an okay college. There's nothing AMAZING about it except for its graduate program. There's not anything bad, though. Some people LOVE it, some don't. Basically, college is what you make out of it.

You know, that's interesting because that is not the first time that has been said. I went to Gallaudet as a grad student only and I found the program so great and I thought it was because I was in a Deaf environment for the first time in my life in which everything was accessible to me. I felt that my undergrad program at Arizona State University was ok and ASU was a major major university. Until I starting hearing comments like that so I asked my brother what his opinion was...he said he found his undergrad studies at Gallaudet Ok but his graduate studies at a hearing university (wont name it out of respect for my brother's privacy) as WOW factor.

It got me to thinking...maybe it is because the graduate programs are generated to our own interests (personal major) and to us, it seems so awesome all because we are soooo interested in the classes as opposed to all the general requirements classes that is required for a BA degree leaving us feeling "so-so" about the undergrad programs?

You know, that's interesting because that is not the first time that has been said. I went to Gallaudet as a grad student only and I found the program so great and I thought it was because I was in a Deaf environment for the first time in my life in which everything was accessible to me. I felt that my undergrad program at Arizona State University was ok and ASU was a major major university. Until I starting hearing comments like that so I asked my brother what his opinion was...he said he found his undergrad studies at Gallaudet Ok but his graduate studies at a hearing university (wont name it out of respect for my brother's privacy) as WOW factor.

It got me to thinking...maybe it is because the graduate programs are generated to our own interests (personal major) and to us, it seems so awesome all because we are soooo interested in the classes as opposed to all the general requirements classes that is required for a BA degree leaving us feeling "so-so" about the undergrad programs?

This. When you graduate with a BA, you have the option to either keep going or get a minor in something else or try your shot at the job market. By the time you decide to go back to graduate school, you'll be in a environment of studying with more mature career-oriented people, supposedly feel more inner respect and pride just for thinking to go to grad school, and that you'd love whichever major you picked and go to grad school to study on it more, with focus.[Insert psychological study here] It'd make sense. :P right?

Actually it does hurt. My wallet still hasn't recovered. :roll: Gallaudet offers very little for a ridiculous amount of money.

From my understanding that Gally tuition is cheaper than any other unviersities. aww, Sorry to hear that it did not meet your needs.

That's where you can take advantage of Gallaudet University being a member of Consortium of Universities where you pay Gally's fees and tuitions while you attend classes at one of the many universities in and around D.C. while still attending Gallaudet University. That's what I did when I took classes at George Washington University. It's cheaper that way. :lol:

Catalog: Consortium Courses

From my understanding that Gally tuition is cheaper than any other unviersities. aww, Sorry to hear that it did not meet your needs.

If it was worth my money, I wouldn't be complaining but I feel like I paid top shelf price for watered down tequila. Like I said, they offer very little and horrible quality for way too much.

waste of money because cost Gallaudent I can't afford on school I wish be education!

Yes, very little. I was looking for a decent education and went in bright eyed and ready to learn only to be disappointed. In my 4 semesters there as a full time student, I only had 3 teachers that signed fluently. At first I thought it was just a bad first semester. After the second, I realized it was partly my fault for not researching who signs and who doesn't (stupid in its own right since it's GALLAUDET FREAKING UNIVERSITY- I expected the teachers to be halfway decent signers since it's a university for the Deaf.)
During my third and fourth semesters, I chose teachers who signed but I still wasn't satisfied.
The lousy teachers (not all, obviously) aside, the dorms were horrible... HORRIBLE! Do I really need to explain? The food was worse. And I can go on.

Before people start flaming me, I just want to say that I know countless people found themselves at Gallaudet and they're bottom-of-their-heart thankful to the university and I'm happy for them. I'm just not in agreement. I think there's loads of room for improvement and in some areas, improvement is mandatory.
I'm sorry but aren't universities about education, not socializing?

I'm sorry but aren't universities about education, not socializing?

I didn't say anything about my social life at Gallaudet so that's not my issue but to answer your question.....

No. Both, the education and socializing, aspects of college are incredibly important! How could you not know that?

Where did she say anything about socializing?
I don't see anything she mentioned related to education. She complained about teachers not signing good enough for her, complained about dorms and food.

Last time I checked, none of those are necessities to education.

I didn't say anything about my social life at Gallaudet so that's not my issue but to answer your question.....

No. Both, the education and socializing, aspects of college are incredibly important! How could you not know that?
Sorry, when I was majoring, I could not complain about socializing or food. If I didn't like something, I did something about it. If I do not like what is offered at cafeteria, I cook my own food. If I feel lonely, I go out to socialize when I have time. None of those are educational...

If food and dorm was an educational thing, I would never have gotten my degree. I went to university for 8 years straight.

I don't see anything she mentioned related to education. She complained about teachers not signing good enough for her, complained about dorms and food.

Last time I checked, none of those are necessities to education.

Fair enough. But I just woke up and am not about to start a debate on the quality of Gallaudet's education. I'll let the statistics do the talking for me. But the one thing I must say is: signing is needed for a decent education - at least it is for me. Communication. Hello?

Fair enough. But I just woke up and am not about to start a debate on the quality of Gallaudet's education. I'll let the statistics do the talking for me. But the one thing I must say is: signing is needed for a decent education - at least it is for me. Communication. Hello?
Even if teachers are rusty with sign language, teachers will make sure the message is clear. They are willing to answer questions too.

The quality of education is on par to today's standards. Majority of deaf teachers comes from Gallaudet and they're fine teachers. Results says a lot.

Hello warpedpink, When your last time to be Gally student? I'm current student at Gally.

I agree with you about situation with dorm and the dorm at Gally is fucking terrible, especially Peet Hall (MUCH WORSE) and Benson Hall so no idea about North/West Ballard (former Cogswell/Krug) but Carlin Hall is very nice dorm that I have been heard about it. I'm currently live in Benson Hall and it is dry and underage dorm (under 21) but my situation is different because of due to single room so rest of dorms are full so I have wait for while, up to next fall to move in wet dorm. I'm not alone about being overage in underage dorm but it does same with many students as well.

The food at cafeteria is much improving and more options than before, however summer semester is more limited than during fall and spring semester, especially same old shit food so I went to union station to eat different kind of food. You are allowed to get food to go now, unlike in past.

I'm not sure about teachers and I will find out in next week or so.

From being accepted of a gally student. I have been looking into their community and everything. They are willing to help you out like a beginner ASL and your accommodation. Not only that, people are really friendly and out in the opening. They understand there are new signers are learning and it takes time. They all have been there.

I have been raised orally and went to a disability school - mainly for autistic and mental retard which is no fit for me to be in and then most of it is mainstream school. I am taking a turn for my education to see if I can learn to be where I belong. Deaf college like gally.

I'm new myself. I have to say that being at gally would be worth the experience and their setting is what most of us might need. Plus, if you want to contact Gallaudet yourself. I can give you my adviser and she can direct you to your adviser and she/he can help you out on every step of the way. ;)

I like clerc hall the best! lol I do like the dorm 5 i dont know whats the new name for this old name "dorm 5" royale probably knows.. Dorm 5 is good too. I am not crazy about the peet hall. Benson hall is OKOK. LOL Krug hall rocks. cogswell hall "boo boo" lol just never mind me! ;)

I was at Benson Hall while I was there. I know a lot has changed since. sigh, just thinking about it makes me feel old. :(

Back