What does the Bible say about dinosaurs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are there dinosaurs in the Bible?

Question: “What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? Are there dinosaurs in the Bible?”

Answer: According to Genesis 1-2 God began and finished His creation in six days. That includes mankind and all animals. What we as human beings struggle with is the lack of information in the Bible concerning dinosaurs and how to reconcile carnivorous dinosaurs (and other large animals) cohabiting with men. We cannot prove any theory about dinosaurs just as evolution cannot prove that the earth evolved. However, there are several factors to consider.

First, we must begin with faith. God said He created the earth and all that is in it in six days, and we should believe that fact even if it means that dinosaurs were around during the time of Adam and Eve. Second, consider Genesis 2:19: "Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name." It is interesting that the verse says that God brought "every" creature to Adam. There is nothing in this verse to indicate that dinosaurs were left out. Third, all mankind and all animals were vegetarians in the beginning. Eating meat didn't begin until after the flood (Gen. 9:3-4), thus man and dinosaurs (including T-rex!) could roam the earth together without fear of becoming a meal. Fourth, there is a possible indication that some dinosaurs were around at least until the time of Job. For example, according to Job 40-41 there were at least two creatures that appear to be similar to dinosaurs (the behemoth -- with a "tail like a cedar," and Leviathan -- so fierce that no one would dare stand up to him).

Some Creation scientists have proposed an interesting theory. Reptiles are different from mammals in that reptiles keep getting bigger and bigger the older they get. There are sea turtles in existence today that are absolutely huge – because they have lived to a very old age. A crocodile or alligator’s age is determined by how large it is. Genesis 5 records that human beings used to live 500-900 years because of the fact that sin had not corrupted their genetics as much, and the fact that they were living on an ideal earth, pre-flood. If human beings lived 500-900 years, then we can probably assume the animals lived much longer than they do today as well. If reptiles continue to grow the older they get, imagine how large a reptile would be if it lived several hundred years! There are many reptiles alive today that are identical to the dinosaurs, except for the fact that they don’t get very large – because they don’t live very long. It is possible that not all of the species of dinosaurs are truly extinct – they just don’t get to such massive sizes any more.

http://www.gotquestions.org/dinosaurs.html

What the Bible Says About Dinosaurs

Genesis 1:1 says that in the beginning, God created everything. Dinosaurs are "something", so the Bible says that God created them. Revelation 4:11 confirms this verse and tells us that dinosaurs were created to give God pleasure. Who would have thought it?

Genesis 1:24-31 describes the sixth day of creation. On this day, God made all the land animals. Dinosaurs by definition are land animals. http://www.creationsensation.com/dinodiff.htm While there are flying reptiles, like pteranodon, and marine reptiles, like elasmosaurus, that we often call dinosaurs, they really are not dinosaurs in a scientific sense. You'll notice in these verses that God creates a whole bunch of animals on the sixth day. He also creates man on that day. Man is special, distinct from the animals, because he is created in the image of God. Since man was created on the sixth day AND dinosaurs were created on the sixth day, then it follows logically that man and dinosaur were on the earth at the same time.

Matthew 1:1-17 contains the genealogy of Jesus Christ through his foster-father, Joseph. According the scriptures, Jesus was a direct descendant of the first man, Adam. A similar family tree for his mother's lineage is contained in Luke 3:23-48. Using this family tree as a basis for calculation, the Bible shows that Adam was created a few thousand years ago. Since Adam and dinosaurs were created on the same day, then the scriptures reveal that dinosaurs were first on the earth only a few thousand years ago, not millions of years ago.

According to Genesis 1:30, God gave plants to His original creation to be used as food. Dinosaurs - ALL dinosaurs - were originally plant eaters. No predators existed at this time, because there was no death at this time. Death first came about as a result of sin. (Romans 5:12 and 6:23)

After Adam and Eve disobeyed God in Genesis chapter 3, a curse came upon all the earth, including the dinosaurs. (Romans 8:20) Like the rest of the creation, dinosaurs had to adapt to a cursed environment and some dinosaurs became violent predators.

Genesis, chapters 6-9, tells of God's decision to judge the wickedness of man by sending a worldwide flood upon the earth. This flood would kill every man and animal, except for Noah, his family, and two of each land-dwelling, air-breathing animal. Dinosaurs fit that description, so they were undoubtedly aboard the ark when the flood began. They also disembarked at the end of the flood to repopulate the earth. The dinosaurs killed by the year-long flood were buried in layers of sediments and fossilized. Finding these fossilized remains is what excites paleontologists today!

After the flood of Noah's day, there was an apparent change of environment that significantly shortened the life spans of men. (Genesis, chapter 11. Better bring a calculator and come paper for this one!) Presumably, dinosaurs also suffered in this new environment and eventually died out, becoming extinct. The exact time of extinction is not known. However, dinosaurs appear to have been present several hundred years later in the time of Job. In Job 40:15-24, God calls Job's attention to an animal whose description sounds amazingly like a sauropod dinosaur.

http://www.creationsensation.com/bible_dinosaurs.htm

The Bible is a book of Faith and not a science book.

Scientists are still learning about the world and universe, and facts change all the time as new discoveries are made. In the meanwhile, thought I'd play devil's advocate here. :thumb:

Interesting thread introducing another perspective, Liebling :) Are you interested in dinosaurs? Theology? Or...?

dinosours and humans were NOT on earth at the same time...

they are hundreds of millions of years apart.

no its not a theory either....its a FACT.

why is it a fact? because its been proven :)

have you noticed...that the bible is very vague....so that if any new inventions\discoveries are created...it will fit into the bible if you "alter" what everything means?

Liza said:
Scientists are still learning about the world and universe, and facts change all the time as new discoveries are made. In the meanwhile, thought I'd play devil's advocate here. :thumb:

Interesting thread introducing another perspective, Liebling :) Are you interested in dinosaurs? Theology? Or...?

:mrgreen: Liza!

Well, my 2nd son is crazy about dinosaurs. He read the dinosaurs histories alot and also watch on TV, too. I read his books and got me wondering since I saw some of threads here over Earth.

We know for long time that dinosaurs, cavemen, etc were drown, thousands years later then the God created Adam until I saw threads here. :dunno:

The some of threads over How old's Earth got me wondering about Dinosaurs because they claimed that Earth is 7,000 years old. I begin to beleive that Earth is 6,000 years old after read websites but I'm still wondering about dinosaurs either they are really exist after Adam's creation because I was taught that dinosaurs were exist thousands years BEFORE Adam's creation which the earth is suppose be over millions years old.

I was like wow and searched the website to find out either dinosaurs are really in the bible or not because I can't find dinosaurs in my bibles.

See the example what we debated about Earth.
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=17105&highlight=earth

I was taught at the school about dinosaurs and visited dinosaurs museum and cavemen's cave muesum. I saw original bones and cavemen's drawing on the wall of cave.

Some of posts in the threads that dinosaurs were killed in Noah Ark time. I was like :confused: because I thought dinosaurs were millions years old before Adam comes. :dunno:

Funny, Germans don't beleive Adam & Eve but dinosaurs/cavemen and apes into humans......

Cjanik said:
dinosours and humans were NOT on earth at the same time...

why is it a fact? because its been proven :)

have you noticed...that the bible is very vague....so that if any new inventions\discoveries are created...it will fit into the bible if you "alter" what everything means?

Exactly, that's what I thought the same until I saw some of threads here. I was like :confused: and searched to find out either dinosaurs are really exist in the bible or not/after Adam's creation...

See my response post to Liza here.

Yes, I know that the scentists found dinosaurs's bones in between 1800 and 1900 and confirmed that the earth should be millions year old.

Now more scentists see the different and beleive that dinosaurs are exist AFTER Adam's creation. They were drown by flood during Noah Ark time but I thought they were drown by the earth more thousands years later then Adam & Eve.............. :dunno:

You are misusing the Bible and trying to use it as a text science. The Bible is not a science book. It's a book of Faith.

The Bible states that time is vastly different to God than it is to us. It is filled with symbolism. The Bible says that a 1,000 years is like a day to God - and 1,000 is a symbolic number in the Bible which equals to infinity. So when it says God created the world in six days - it doesn't mean six days as we humans view time. It means six days in God's view of time. It means millions of years.

If you are going to true to prove anything scientifically with the Bible, you are going to fall on your face. It's simply not a science book.

Daft said:
If you are going to true to prove anything scientifically with the Bible, you are going to fall on your face. It's simply not a science book.

:lol: I completely agree !

A long time ago, people were able to prove the Earth is flat by using the Bible.

The Bible was also used to prove that the Earth was the center of the universe and that all stars and planets rotate around the Earth.

Well, they were wrong because the Bible is not meant to be used for a science book. The Bible describes God's relationship with us. The Bible is for your Faith and religion.

Daft said:
A long time ago, people were able to prove the Earth is flat by using the Bible.

The Bible was also used to prove that the Earth was the center of the universe and that all stars and planets rotate around the Earth.

Well, they were wrong because the Bible is not meant to be used for a science book. The Bible describes God's relationship with us. The Bible is for your Faith and religion.

Yes, I know.

That´s why I am confused because I´m bible belief. I read Bible alot as my sons with Dinosaurs, cavemen, etc.

I can´t image that dinosaurs are really exist after Adam´s creation, that´s why I find out either it´s true or not because I can´t find it in my bible. I has the feeling that earth must be very old. I really don´t know what I should say.

Yes, I know that scientists search new things more and more every day.

Liebling,

I understand the Bible is often very confusing and difficult to understand. As to whether God created dinosuars - well, the Bible tells us God created everything. So if he created everything, then he created dinosaurs. But most important, He created us.

Try thinking about this, Liebling. The dinosaurs really don't have anything to do with God's relationship with us. So there isn't any need for any mention of dinosaurs in the Bible.

I hope you continue reading with your son about Bible stories and also stories about dinosaurs, rockets, cowboys, and anything else he is interested in.

Alles Gute!

Genesis: what about that serpent that talked to Eve... and God cursed it and got all the reptiles crawl on their bellies... Snake, Lizard, frog, Alligators.

Although evolutionary theory has dinosaurs extinct millions of years before man came on the scene, ancient writers described dangerous encounters with them. The Bible was translated into English before the word dinosaur was invented. Some fierce creatures that swallowed their prey whole as do carnivorous reptiles (Jeremiah 51:34) are translated into English as dragons in the Bible. Some commentaries in English describe the big beast behemoth as a hippopotamus or elephant. But the behemoth in Job 40:15-24 has a tail like a cedar tree. Hebrew had other words for hippos and elephants. The tannin described by ancient Egyptians and in Ezekiel 32:2,3 may actually be a plesiosaur.

The King James Bible translates “re-em” as unicorn. The Septuagint translated the Hebrew “re-em” as "Monokeros" (one-horn). Akkadian and Ugaritic records show an animal head with three horns, like a Triceratops. In “Naturalis Historia” Pliny the Elder described "an exceedingly wild beast called the Monoceros or one-horned. ...It makes a deep lowing noise, and one black horn two cubits long projects from the middle of its forehead.” It was about the length of an elephant but had shorter legs. Aelian, Oppian, and Martial described a Rinokeros that sharpened his horn on a rock and stabbed with it fighting elephants. This is the root word for the modern name rhinoceros. But rhinos do not stab with their keratin horns. Modern reports have come from the Congo of a single-horned animal Emela-ntouka or "killer of elephants." Pygmies in Cameroon identified the horned creature they call Ngoubou with a Ceratopsian dinosaur. These may be the last survivors of the ceratopsians that got off the ark. "Re-em" might be a Monoclonious , a single-horned dinosaur ceratopsian.

Psalm 92
10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Job 39
9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
11 Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?
12 Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

Isaiah 34
7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Ancient authors of many lands wrote of flying reptiles that bit with venom. The ibis bird was the natural enemy of the saraph, the flying fiery serpent in ancient Egypt. The Hebrew polal participle for flying described the saraph, indicating they were highly nimble fliers difficult to escape.

Numbers 21
6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

For 40 years they faced the dangers of aerial attacks of pterosaurs.

Deuteronomy 8
15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint;

Isaiah 14
29 Rejoice not thou, whole Palestina, because the rod of him that smote thee is broken: for out of the serpent's root shall come forth a cockatrice, and his fruit shall be a fiery flying serpent.

Isaiah 30
6 The burden of the beasts of the south: into the land of trouble and anguish, from whence come the young and old lion, the viper and fiery flying serpent, they will carry their riches upon the shoulders of young asses, and their treasures upon the bunches of camels, to a people that shall not profit them.

None of this has anything to do with dinosaurs. And frogs aren't dinosaurs!!

The Bible uses a lot of symbolism. Just take a look at all the symbolism within the Book of Revelation.

Most modern theologians have stated that the theories of evolution do not contridict Scripture.

Daft said:
None of this has anything to do with dinosaurs. And frogs aren't dinosaurs!!

The Bible uses a lot of symbolism. Just take a look at all the symbolism within the Book of Revelation.

Most modern theologians have stated that the theories of evolution do not contridict Scripture.

but what is Unicorn? Is it really a horse with a horn?

Dinosaurs??????

Quote:

Cjanik

Posts: 101 dinosours and humans were NOT on earth at the same time...

why is it a fact? because its been proven

My answer: Evolution is not a FACT but theory. Evoluntionists have admitted that. Please check your sources. You will see none of them admit it is fact.

The Bible has a lot of science in it!!!!! If you know it well, you will know.

Job chapters 40 and 41 indicates dinosaurs probably Brontanasuraus and one another unknown one that spews out fire... they lived at same time as men did.

the Bible needs no atlering... it even speaks about gravity which no one noticed until Issac Newton... Psalms spoke of paths of seas, then a man found the shipping lanes... The Bible speaks of earth as round... until Magellan and Columbus confirmed it.

I suggest you to be careful about criticizing something you have no knowledge of...

Thank you...

halford said:
the Bible needs no atlering... it even speaks about gravity which no one noticed until Issac Newton... Psalms spoke of paths of seas, then a man found the shipping lanes... The Bible speaks of earth as round... until Magellan and Columbus confirmed it.

I suggest you to be careful about criticizing something you have no knowledge of...

Thank you...

Amen !

Bible has a lot of science? Like the earth is flat? The Bible does NOT say the Earth is round. In fact, people were "punished" for making such statements until the explorers proved the Earth was not flat.

There is nothing in the Bible which talks about dinosaurs. Nothing!

Someone once tried to point out that flying dinosaurs were in Deuteronomy. I checked the verses provided and what Scripture actually said were saphar serpents - which are poisonous snakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back