What do you agree that Sex-offender parents pose dilemma for schools?

Should parents who are registered sex offenders be allowed on school grounds?

• No, registered sex offenders should be banned.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Yes, banning registered sex offenders is an unfair because it belongs past.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No, parent's criminal background has nothing do with school authority.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes, parent's criminal background should be focus by school authority.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don't know/not sure

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Others

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
I really wish you would think before making a statement like that. Because, sometimes these so-called sex offenders are really innocent. It has happened way too many times to be able to say, "Oh, that is very rare". Many people are falsly accused.

Yes I agreed...

I thought to myself that I would share those link about innoncent "sex offenders".

Sentencing Law and Policy: More sex offender laws and restrictions in the works

That's one ... :eek3:

Marc Shepherd,

This is directed towards you and anyone else reading this blog: NOT ALL PEOPLE CLASSIFIED AS SEX OFFENDERS ARE PEDOPHILES OR EVEN PREDATORS!! As others have noted above, you can be deemed "sex offender" in most states for peeing behind the shed in your own yard or behind a tree while camping, hunting or fishin - indecent exposure. An 18-year-old who has consensual sex with his 16-year-old girlfriend can be charged with statutory rape and if convicted (or even if adjudication is withheld), he will be forced to register as a sex offender. So, I repeat, NOT ALL PEOPLE CLASSIFIED AS SEX OFFENDERS ARE PEDOPHILES OR EVEN PREDATORS!!

(I am not a student, professor, prosecutor, etc. I am the wife of a registered sex offender.)

I respect that GTM, but you see this topic hits very close to home for me.

My son who was 12 years old at the time was also accused of a sexual offense. He too is considered a sex offender. He has spent 4 years of his childhood locked up. And he faces the possibility of being locked up till his 21st birthday.

The only thing that saved him from having to REGISTER as a sex-offender was his age.

The funny thing is he is innocent and I know he is. I know most of you will say ofc you would say that your his mother. But in this case its not. Im not gonna share his story here. But several people know it and they will tell you the same. Even my son's foster mother agrees he was innocent.

He didnt rape someone. He didnt have sex with someone. But he is still considered a sex offender.

I would just like for everyone to consider what they think or say in connection to a sex offender. Did you know that if you are accused of sexual harrassment that SOMETIMES they require you to register? Did you know that if you made inappropiate advances towards someone that you have to register as a sex offender? Its not always involving children.

Im not trying to change your opinion on sex offenders I just wanna show you why my opinion is as it is.

If people found out that my son was in a sex offender facility for the last 4 years, they would try to shove me out of my home, by saying they dont want a sex offender in the area. They would try to shove my son out of school by saying they dont want a child like him in their kids school. Why? He didnt rape anybody. He didnt hurt another child. But yet 4 years of his life was taken from him. Must the rest of his life be taken from him too?

My feeling with you and your son... Your story got me goose bump... 12 years old is only boy... :(

My feeling with you and your son... Your story got me goose bump... 12 years old is only boy... :(

Correction Liebling hon he was a 12 year old boy. When all this went down 4 years ago, he was 12, he is now 16 and still in the sex offender facility.

He has not lived at home or been free for 4 full years already.

I really wish you would think before making a statement like that. Because, sometimes these so-called sex offenders are really innocent. It has happened way too many times to be able to say, "Oh, that is very rare". Many people are falsly accused.
Please notice that I said, "Sex offenders give up their rights when they break the law. If they were concerned about being good parents then they wouldn't have broken the law in the first place.

They made their choices, and they have to live with the consequences. It is sad that their choices hurt other people but that's the problem with making wrong choices--the consequences are deep and wide.."

I'm talking about the guilty ones who did break the law, not "so-called" sex offenders.

I really wish people would focus more on protecting the children.

Well, doesnt matter what it is, as long you are a sex offenders whether guilty or not, you lose your right regardless, even not even harm someone, many who are labelled as sex offenders, which does not harm anyone does lose their jobs, place to live and etc. That's what I call unjustly or overly hype or hehe, I could say, " horny laws". bec there are many people of the law glad to be in a law official to look at those pictures without anyone knowing it. Also, accused sex offenders is also like robbing their future. Like "Thou shall not steal", "Thou shall not falsely accuse", they arent criminals, but the innocent is.

The thing is in response to Reba's post, what happens when it is our children accused and that we are protecting?

The sex offender debate is NOT a black and white issue as most people like to believe. There are lots of shades of gray in there.

Did my son give up his rights? Trust me Ive told his story to several people and every single one urges me to keep looking to find someone willing to take his case on as pro bono work.

Imagine what kind of life my son would have if after getting out, he had to register as a sex offender? What kind of life would I have had?

Sex Offenders are not just adults who have raped a child.

Sex Offenders as young as 14, has to register upon conviction. Now before you decide that all these children must deserve to be on the registry, I want you to think about this.

In the facility that my son is in houses 140 youth sex offenders currently. Very few of them are in there for actually raping someone. Very few of them are even in there for indecent exposure. The majority of them in there are there because of what is called gross sexual imposition. Meaning they said or wrote something sexual to someone else.

Alot of these kids upon release has to register as a sex offender.

We are not only talking about adults that has given up their rights to a life. We are talking CHILDREN too. IF the belief holds true that they gave up their right when they BROKE the law, then we are saying a CHILD gives up their right to a LIFE FOREVER.

The sex offender registry has many different classifications. Most on the registry does not even involve violent sexual predators. What is a predator? Someone who commits violent rape, raping of children, and a serial rapist.

When people see this registry and a name on the registry, they DO NOT care if this person is a predator or not. To them that person is someone who automatically raped or hurt a child. So therefore, not to be allowed to live anywhere.

Where would my son go upon release? AT 16 he would return home to his mother. IF he was required to register, my neighbors could read the registry and in most cases will try to have you legislated out of your home. WE OWN this home. Not only does it affect my son and his life but it affects the rest of the family too.

My son would eventually be pushed out of his school. As other parents would say oh I dont want that child with MY children. So therefore isolating my son completely from interacting with other children his age. Forcing him to become a loner. May we say possible Columbine child? if I didnt take action to seek him help for the pain and suffering that HE suffers?

I know personally first hand the pain and suffering a sex offender can cause a child. As a child I was a victim of a sex offender.

As someone who has been on both sides of this sex offender fence. I can see and personally know the damage it causes to both sides.

The man that raped me as a child, never seen the inside of a jail. I had more evidence against him than they did my son. But yet my son does 4 years. Is that justice?

I never forgave that man for what he did to me, but yet I never wished to take away his BASIC rights to have a place to call home and a job to pay for it.

With this registry it does exactly that. It takes away those two BASIC rights.

I believe the sex offender registry should made available to law enforcement and emergency workers only. I do not see the need for me to know if the guy across the street has a previous sex offense.

If I am doing my job correctly and watching my children, then they will be safe from him, no matter if he was guilty or not.

Most of the time a sex offender is someone you know very well. Someone who is either a close family friend of many years, or a family member.

Very rarely, is it some guy just off the street. Yes, it does happen. But, its not as common as a someone you know offender.

Oftentimes, it is the victim themselves that are punished, more than it is the offender. I have known victims that were removed from their homes and put in youth places, as if they were the ones that commited a crime. I have known victims that were taken away from their mothers and put in foster homes. Where is the justice in that?

We really need to take a second look at how we view this registry and how we treat someone who has been accused of it.

This COULD happen to any one of you. I know it happened to MY son. So it happened to me too because of him.

You or your wife or husband COULD be accused of this either rightly or falsly. One of your children COULD be accused of it. Is that when we finally take a look at this registry and the rights?

Good post, Bear! Sorry about your son... Yeah I understand, it COULD happen to everyone, they can be accused as sex offender while it wasn't true..

Yea i remma what happen to ur son when you told me what heck going on w/your son sis bear and The police won't believe what ur son's inncoent but you shuld kick this person's a** what they did to ur son and make him look bad and take him away from ur life which not fk right... and hope ur son will get out this hella jail ASAP so He can be spend with you rest his's miss years since he been locked up for 4 years *smh* Last time i saw ur son last 2 year am i right? for visit right? so hope he gotta out of jail soon so hang in there :hug: sis bear

Hey, Bear, not sure, if you understand me, bec everything you said I agree, bec it is unfair for accusing and labeling these people as of sex offenders which they really arent. and Yes, it is very grey areas. But those who are not sex offenders are very easily to cut down the label and ignoring it. My heart goes out to you and your family especially you son. It is cruel. There are summountable law are very abusive in their power. Putting good people losing their jobs, homes and places to live. Those who are predators which trying to attack someone should be the one, not the one by using other kinds which doesnt harm someone or any thing that is not sexual attacked issues. I am your side, Bear.

I forgot that I was accused as "stalker" when I was only 14 years old. My ex girlfriend who her foster parents don't want her to see me, she asked me to come to her school to meet her, and I came, but the school told her foster parents that I was there, they called the police on me and accused me as "stalker". WTF?! That girl WANT me to come, that does not make me a stalker.

I forgot that I was accused as "stalker" when I was only 14 years old. My ex girlfriend who her foster parents don't want her to see me, she asked me to come to her school to meet her, and I came, but the school told her foster parents that I was there, they called the police on me and accused me as "stalker". WTF?! That girl WANT me to come, that does not make me a stalker.

I REMEMBER, YOU SHARING WITH ME. MANY PEOPLE ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE IN ANYTHING AND NO WONDER WHY TOOO MANY PEOPLE ARE IN THE DEPRESSION. MANY RUDE REMARK BY SAYING, "NOT MY PROBLEM". SAD SAD SAD

I respect that GTM, but you see this topic hits very close to home for me.

My son who was 12 years old at the time was also accused of a sexual offense. He too is considered a sex offender. He has spent 4 years of his childhood locked up. And he faces the possibility of being locked up till his 21st birthday.

The only thing that saved him from having to REGISTER as a sex-offender was his age.

The funny thing is he is innocent and I know he is. I know most of you will say ofc you would say that your his mother. But in this case its not. Im not gonna share his story here. But several people know it and they will tell you the same. Even my son's foster mother agrees he was innocent.

He didnt rape someone. He didnt have sex with someone. But he is still considered a sex offender.

I would just like for everyone to consider what they think or say in connection to a sex offender. Did you know that if you are accused of sexual harrassment that SOMETIMES they require you to register? Did you know that if you made inappropiate advances towards someone that you have to register as a sex offender? Its not always involving children.

Im not trying to change your opinion on sex offenders I just wanna show you why my opinion is as it is.

If people found out that my son was in a sex offender facility for the last 4 years, they would try to shove me out of my home, by saying they dont want a sex offender in the area. They would try to shove my son out of school by saying they dont want a child like him in their kids school. Why? He didnt rape anybody. He didnt hurt another child. But yet 4 years of his life was taken from him. Must the rest of his life be taken from him too?

ah, I am sorry about your son. As a mother I can understand that a tough sticky situation you have with your son. I am wondering since you said you believe he is innocent,, have you got a lawyer that clear up his name and record that is he innocent? I know every parents want to believe that their child is innocent is a really hard situations for most parents go through something is horriable.

:ty: ChristLoveDeaf, I really appreciate the kind words. These past 4 years has been really hard to deal with and live through. The first year, there were many of times, I almost had to be hospitalized due to cracking under the pressure. But the knowledge that my son needed me and knowing that without me, there was no one else to fight for him, I made it through.

In my opinion the sex offender registry does more harm than good. Once a person's debt to society has been paid, they deserve the right to prove they are in fact rehabilitated and they deserve the right to live just as you and I do.

While a sex offense is a very violent and personal crime, you are forgetting that DUI is also a very violent and personal crime. Should that mean we need to have a DUI registry? Does that mean we legislate all DUI offenders out of our neighborhoods? Not allow them to attend school functions? Not allow them the right to live and work peacefully?

I say this in relation to DUI because if you thought about it DUI does affect our children as well. Many innocent children has died due to a DUI driver. However, we do not *criminalize* them to such a degree that they cant live or work in peace as we do the sex offender.

How about a drug dealer that pushes drugs on our children? We have more kindness in our hearts for them than we do the sex offender. Why? A drug dealer messes with the REST of our child's life.

Why are we *criminalizing* one section of an offender and not all that harm our children?

The basic right we have states that we have a right to *Liberty, Life, and the pursuit of happiness* No where does that basic say that it pertains to just law abiders, no where does it say that ANY specific person does not have that right.

Like I said, I am not here to push my views on anyone. I just want and HOPE that people realize, this is a bigger issue with lots of shades of gray in there.

How many more lives due to this registry do we have to lose before someone, somewhere says enough is enough? Yes, lives are lost. You may say but those lives arent worth anything, they raped someone. But the reality is, did they? Innocent lives are ruined all the time in this current justice system. It may be hard to believe that there are innocent people that are found guilty but it happens more than you think.

Bear

sis LostPanther yes I do believe you have met my son once. And while I am heartbroken and mad about what happened. I decided to leave it all up to God and know that God will somehow, someway deal out justice to those that have done my son wrong.

Hugs and thanks for those words

ah, I am sorry about your son. As a mother I can understand that a tough sticky situation you have with your son. I am wondering since you said you believe he is innocent,, have you got a lawyer that clear up his name and record that is he innocent? I know every parents want to believe that their child is innocent is a really hard situations for most parents go through something is horriable.

GTM,

:ty: I have called every lawyer in the book, but due to the fact that I have no money they wont take his case. In my case my son is truly innocent. I know you are right about parents wanting to believe that, but the story behinds this proves it. Not to mention a lie detectors test that he had to take as part of his counseling proves it. Unfortunately, for us a lie detectors test is NOT admissable in court. So we can't use the test to prove his innocence. We have asked if we could and was told NO by several lawyers.

I have written the Ohio Innocence Project and was told that they do not do Juvenile cases, they only handle adult cases, they told me to try to find a civil rights lawyer. Which I have to no avail.

Very few lawyers will take a case on as pro-bono work. And until I get lucky enough to win the lottery, there isnt much I can do.

About the only way I can win this case is to prove that my son's rights were violated, and that he did not recieve the best defense possible. Innocence is hard to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt in this case. Due to the idiotic way this case was handled.

GTM, he was charged with rape and found guilty of it. But there was no rape kit done on the so called victim. Therefore, I cannot prove my son guilty or innocent on the DNA results. This case was a simple he said, he said. There was no real evidence in this case other than another child's word and that of his mother who was sitting in the same room listening to every word her child said, and backing his story up.

However, my son had no record before this. Her son, was accused of raping 4 other little girls. They ignored all that when I told them about it. Their response to me was, this is about YOUR son, not hers.

There is alot more to that story that what I stated above. That would also prove his innocence. But those are 2 major facts that do help to prove it.

:ty: ChristLoveDeaf, I really appreciate the kind words. These past 4 years has been really hard to deal with and live through. The first year, there were many of times, I almost had to be hospitalized due to cracking under the pressure. But the knowledge that my son needed me and knowing that without me, there was no one else to fight for him, I made it through.

In my opinion the sex offender registry does more harm than good. Once a person's debt to society has been paid, they deserve the right to prove they are in fact rehabilitated and they deserve the right to live just as you and I do.

While a sex offense is a very violent and personal crime, you are forgetting that DUI is also a very violent and personal crime. Should that mean we need to have a DUI registry? Does that mean we legislate all DUI offenders out of our neighborhoods? Not allow them to attend school functions? Not allow them the right to live and work peacefully?

I say this in relation to DUI because if you thought about it DUI does affect our children as well. Many innocent children has died due to a DUI driver. However, we do not *criminalize* them to such a degree that they cant live or work in peace as we do the sex offender.

How about a drug dealer that pushes drugs on our children? We have more kindness in our hearts for them than we do the sex offender. Why? A drug dealer messes with the REST of our child's life.

Why are we *criminalizing* one section of an offender and not all that harm our children?

The basic right we have states that we have a right to *Liberty, Life, and the pursuit of happiness* No where does that basic say that it pertains to just law abiders, no where does it say that ANY specific person does not have that right.

Like I said, I am not here to push my views on anyone. I just want and HOPE that people realize, this is a bigger issue with lots of shades of gray in there.

How many more lives due to this registry do we have to lose before someone, somewhere says enough is enough? Yes, lives are lost. You may say but those lives arent worth anything, they raped someone. But the reality is, did they? Innocent lives are ruined all the time in this current justice system. It may be hard to believe that there are innocent people that are found guilty but it happens more than you think.

Bear

That is exactly I agree with you about this, it is soo sickening how the law work that way to humiliating them, especially the innocent ones. It is very very painful and I do agree with you all the way

GTM,

:ty: I have called every lawyer in the book, but due to the fact that I have no money they wont take his case. In my case my son is truly innocent. I know you are right about parents wanting to believe that, but the story behinds this proves it. Not to mention a lie detectors test that he had to take as part of his counseling proves it. Unfortunately, for us a lie detectors test is NOT admissable in court. So we can't use the test to prove his innocence. We have asked if we could and was told NO by several lawyers.

I have written the Ohio Innocence Project and was told that they do not do Juvenile cases, they only handle adult cases, they told me to try to find a civil rights lawyer. Which I have to no avail.

Very few lawyers will take a case on as pro-bono work. And until I get lucky enough to win the lottery, there isnt much I can do.

About the only way I can win this case is to prove that my son's rights were violated, and that he did not recieve the best defense possible. Innocence is hard to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt in this case. Due to the idiotic way this case was handled.

GTM, he was charged with rape and found guilty of it. But there was no rape kit done on the so called victim. Therefore, I cannot prove my son guilty or innocent on the DNA results. This case was a simple he said, he said. There was no real evidence in this case other than another child's word and that of his mother who was sitting in the same room listening to every word her child said, and backing his story up.

However, my son had no record before this. Her son, was accused of raping 4 other little girls. They ignored all that when I told them about it. Their response to me was, this is about YOUR son, not hers.

There is alot more to that story that what I stated above. That would also prove his innocence. But those are 2 major facts that do help to prove it.

ah,, I don't blame you at all when it hard to prove the innocent of your son charge. I agree with you that detectors test is NOT admissable in court. So you can't use the test to prove it. I have read some stories and seen some news that some people get send to jail or prison for a crime they didn't really do and cost them their life taken away and have so much emotional break down they suffered. it really sad. I agree with your statements. You gave me lot to think about the bigger picture.

Yes I feel really bad for Bear... I am myself mother of both sons... I know it's really scary... that's why I disagree with US law...

Back