What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I learned that teachers need more Awareness! It was disturbing to hear my teacher wanted my interpreter and myself in the corner of the room to prevent the students from getting nervous or disturbed during their first speech. Needless to say, I dropped the class. Sigh.....
That's nutty. I've interpreted in classrooms for elementary, secondary, and college students, and no one was made nervous or disturbed by it.

That I can "fire" a college teacher via dropping their class if I don't think they are good at what they are teaching because I am paying for a service.

How old it your teacher , you would think teachers be have more awareness about this today. I could see an real old teacher being clueless about this.
I don't think age of the teacher would really matter. Some real young people are also very ignorant about interpreters especially if they have never had an experience or met a deaf person up until that moment. Some real old people accept and deal with things out of their comfort zone a lot better than many young people.

I don't think age of the teacher would really matter. Some real young people are also very ignorant about interpreters especially if they have never had an experience or met a deaf person up until that moment. Some real old people accept and deal with things out of their comfort zone a lot better than many young people.

I worked with old people for nine years and they were very set in their ways. They all thought it was disgusting for a Black man to marry a White woman. And they did not use the word Black .

I was told he was ignorant to the disability field, I don't think he's has a deaf or hard of hearing student before. He's a graduate student.

I was told he was ignorant to the disability field, I don't think he's has a deaf or hard of hearing student before. He's a graduate student.

I have a feeling you'll be teaching your teacher more than he will be teaching you. I had a teacher in private school and he wanted to see if I was really able to read his lips so he covered his mouth with his hand.
I think I was his first hoh student , he had me sit right in the middle of the room so I could see people better. He was young too , we became friends and correspond by letters for a few years.

I worked with old people for nine years and they were very set in their ways. They all thought it was disgusting for a Black man to marry a White woman. And they did not use the word Black .
I am sure that's true but I've met (and some are my relatives)many who have had no issues with other races or even with LGBT. The YOUNGER people (under 40 at the time) in my family had major issues with having an LGBT in the family while their own parents (my aunts mostly and all over 60) had no issues whatsoever.

My grandfather (actually both grandfathers...) never had an issue with blacks- interacted, friends but he did use the old, now inappropriate term. Never in a malicious manner though. For him that was the term of the day when he was growing up (in the North). And if I recall I believe he did change his habits as well (with a slip up here and there). I do wonder though how all 4 grandparents would have reacted to today's news both on the Charleston shootings (and flag issue) and the gay marriage ruling (all of them passed away before 2001).

I am sure that's true but I've met (and some are my relatives)many who have had no issues with other races or even with LGBT. The YOUNGER people (under 40 at the time) in my family had major issues with having an LGBT in the family while their own parents (my aunts mostly and all over 60) had no issues whatsoever.

My grandfather (actually both grandfathers...) never had an issue with blacks- interacted, friends but he did use the old, now inappropriate term. Never in a malicious manner though. For him that was the term of the day when he was growing up (in the North). And if I recall I believe he did change his habits as well (with a slip up here and there). I do wonder though how all 4 grandparents would have reacted to today's news both on the Charleston shootings (and flag issue) and the gay marriage ruling (all of them passed away before 2001).

Yeah my mom had no issues with having Black grandkids but my dad might had if he was still alive.

Some acquaintances deleted me due to disagreements. I am not offended , everyone is entitled to hold on to their beliefs. Respect!

OK. intrigued now.Is it American thing or general...pm I curious person

I learned that my teeth could stay in my mouth for rest of my life .
My dentist said my teeth look good . :D

OK. intrigued now.Is it American thing or general...pm I curious person

American is getting too political correct these days instead of speaking their minds.

In other words, people are too easily offended in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back