What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is ironic.

I just learned (a few minutes ago) that I had a certified letter that I had to sign for. It was from the VA hospital. That made me nervous because they never sent me a certified letter before.

While I was opening the envelope I was thinking, am I being bumped from coverage, did they find some terrible test results on me, do I owe them money . . . what?

Big waste of resources! It was a letter sent Oct. 29 from Charleston (25 miles away) telling me to make an appointment with the sleep study lab. Duh! I had the study done last night/this morning. Today is Nov. 5. A little late for a certified letter! (and it cost them $6.43)

Not to mention, a few moments of anxiety for me. Bleh!

This is ironic.

I just learned (a few minutes ago) that I had a certified letter that I had to sign for. It was from the VA hospital. That made me nervous because they never sent me a certified letter before.

While I was opening the envelope I was thinking, am I being bumped from coverage, did they find some terrible test results on me, do I owe them money . . . what?

Big waste of resources! It was a letter sent Oct. 29 from Charleston (25 miles away) telling me to make an appointment with the sleep study lab. Duh! I had the study done last night/this morning. Today is Nov. 5. A little late for a certified letter! (and it cost them $6.43)

Not to mention, a few moments of anxiety for me. Bleh!

How long before you do get the results from the sleep test? And grrr :roll: on the letter.

How long before you do get the results from the sleep test? And grrr :roll: on the letter.
Maybe a week or two. The results get sent to my doctor for review first.

I learned this week didn't start off as expensive as I thought it did. I have a one week pass for the train I take to/from work. However I did not use the train Monday or Tuesday (appointments that required driving in). So I these two days should have cost me the cost of 4 train rides, that I did not take, and parking fees. Plus gas used to drive back & forth (work, appt, work, home).
Turns out the train agent gave me a bus pass, not a train pass. When I went to use it this morning I ended up having to buy a ticket on the train. I then stopped at the sales office when I got to the station and the guy asked my name. The guy who gave me the wrong ticket (they all look alike) had realized his mistake and notified the other agents of the error. I was told to come back later today and things would be taken care of. Went back at lunch time and we decided the easiest/best thing to do would be to exchange the bus ticket for a pass for next week and for me to buy one-ride tickets for the rest of this week.
Sooo, I did not lose the 2 days worth on the pass by not riding the train. :)

I learned to cook a taco salad. I am looking forward to eating it .

No extra pillows allowed. No one can stay in the room once the patient is wired up.

It was a small room with one chair, a sink built into a counter, a wall-mount TV, a twin-size bed, and a small bedside table.

When I went to bed it was very uncomfortable; I could hardly move. Have you seen pictures of people taking lie detector tests? I was wired up like that plus tubing similar to an oxygen piece in my nose, and sensors attached to my upper lip, front of neck, jaw, and eyelid area. I had at least half a dozen sensors stuck on my head (requires two shampooings to remove the gooey stuff). All the wires are attached to a metal box that has a heavy strap on it.

When I had to go to the bathroom, the technician had to detach the box from the wall, and put the strap with the box over my neck. Then, I had to shuffle carefully across the hall to the bathroom. I had to carefully hold all the wires and box while using the toilet.

It also meant that I couldn't just roll over in bed without getting tangled up. Some of the leads were attached to my lower legs.

After getting wired up, I had to lie in bed on my back in the dark. I could have the TV on, low volume, but no reading or cell phone allowed. The technician video recorded me and communicated with me thru a speaker on the wall. Every time I had to use the potty I had to speak loudly to let her know so she could come detach and reattach me.

She woke me up after my final REM sleep period, which was about 6 a.m. TCS was already there because they told him to be at the hospital by 5:30 a.m. (poor guy--it's about an hour's drive, so he was up early).

UGH ! I bet you're glad this is over with ! I had a sleep study test too and had to be wired up and I can't sleep on my back all night.

That sound more nightmare than a sleep study! A bathroom should be in the room too so people won't have to walk so far with all that wiring stuck to them. Did you have to take a nap when you got home , that made we tried just reading what you went through . :aw:

I learned that word got up to the higher offices in the school district about my dedication to my students. Seems I am gaining a reputation throughout the district as that deaf teacher who works very hard and is very successful. Cool!

UGH ! I bet you're glad this is over with ! I had a sleep study test too and had to be wired up and I can't sleep on my back all night.

That sound more nightmare than a sleep study! A bathroom should be in the room too so people won't have to walk so far with all that wiring stuck to them. Did you have to take a nap when you got home , that made we tried just reading what you went through . :aw:
Yeah, the bathroom. Ugh! I had to share it with a man, and let's just say he had toilet-aiming issues.

No, I didn't get a nap later. Had too much to do.

A lot of interesting stuff about housing in Germany. A friend of ours who lives in Germany came for a 2-week visit (not staying with us the whole time, he's visiting other friends too) told us all about how expensive housing is in Germany, and how rare it is to be able to find anything for sale. That most houses pass down from generation to generation. What he said was "expensive" in Germany was about $300-400k, but when he saw our house yesterday, he said ours+land would've been about $1.5-$2 million in Germany. I was dumbstruck over that.

Have you ever watched "House Hunters International". I have learned a lot about the housing markets worldwide from that show and yep, thats common in Germany and some other countries. Like whoa!!!

Yeah, the bathroom. Ugh! I had to share it with a man, and let's just say he had toilet-aiming issues.

No, I didn't get a nap later. Had too much to do.

OMG! that is one of my biggest pet peeve ! UGH ! is right . I took a nap after my sleep study , I had to stay awake half the night before going in for it and had trouble sleeping all hooked up and with someone in the room.

Have you ever watched "House Hunters International". I have learned a lot about the housing markets worldwide from that show and yep, thats common in Germany and some other countries. Like whoa!!!

I like that show also. Another way to see the world without getting on a plane.:giggle:

My daughter told me that most people in Ireland do not have a dryer for their clothes. She has to hang dry her laundry which takes forever because it's so wet there. Sounds crazy to me that something as simple as a dryer is not common there. One of her friends owns a nice house but she has this tiny, tiny dryer that takes hours to dry a small load of towels.

That the fox is back for sure, I was outside with Marty and picked up a fresh sense of an animal was getting all excided . The fox ran right pass us and the poor thing was more frighten than I was . I hope it was able to find some food to so my dog won't look too yummy to it. Once the farm land is gone the wildlife will have very little land to hunt on. I am seeing Defender of Wildlife ad at top of my computer as I type this .

I like that show also. Another way to see the world without getting on a plane.:giggle:

My daughter told me that most people in Ireland do not have a dryer for their clothes. She has to hang dry her laundry which takes forever because it's so wet there. Sounds crazy to me that something as simple as a dryer is not common there. One of her friends owns a nice house but she has this tiny, tiny dryer that takes hours to dry a small load of towels.

Or those washer/dryers in the kitchen! Thats so strange to me! lol

Yup - I watch that show often! I have always been surprised at the homes in other countries - I just had no idea what the value was in $$ in comparison to the U.S.

my washer and dryer are connected together (top and bottom) and it is in the kitchen too. I have see in the Europe.

If you live a small condo the kitchen may be the only place to have a washer/dryer piggybacked. I had a washer that I hooked up to my kitchen sink ,there a washer/dryer in the basement . I used my small washer for light loads. Tiny houses is a big thing right now and I bet a lot of the houses have the washer/dryer piggybacked in the kitchen .
I notice some new monster houses have the laundry room upstairs , that made a lot sense to me . That saves you a lot work of not having to bring all your laundry downstairs the upstairs again.

If you live a small condo the kitchen may be the only place to have a washer/dryer piggybacked. I had a washer that I hooked up to my kitchen sink ,there a washer/dryer in the basement . I used my small washer for light loads. Tiny houses is a big thing right now and I bet a lot of the houses have the washer/dryer piggybacked in the kitchen .

I did this in more than one rented apartment over several years and then hooked it up like you would a full size washer after I bought a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back