What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on the moving situation: it looks like it will be October 1st that I make the move.

the northan lights maybe showing if no clouds...this uk not sure if happen in america

the northan lights maybe showing if no clouds...this uk not sure if happen in america

If you are talking about the Northern Light show in the sky, yes, it happens in
Alaska but not sure where else......

I just learned that a woman I knew just dies , she was 63 yo. We where neighbors when I first moved here and I drove to college with her when my car was in the shop. We where not close friends but we would bumped into one another from time to time and chat . I was reading the obituary and saw her name , it was a shock . She was younger than me but she been ill for some time. I am OK , I was trying to find out if a 90 yo neighbor of mine had die and learned of this wife death .

I just learned that a woman I knew just dies , she was 63 yo. We where neighbors when I first moved here and I drove to college with her when my car was in the shop. We where not close friends but we would bumped into one another from time to time and chat . I was reading the obituary and saw her name , it was a shock . She was younger than me but she been ill for some time. I am OK , I was trying to find out if a 90 yo neighbor of mine had die and learned of this wife death .
:(

Sadly, at our age, the obits become more meaningful.

:(

Sadly, at our age, the obits become more meaningful.

That is true , I know she been ill for years , she was so healthy looking and pretty and I ran into her and she ages and looked older than she really was. I know so many people that die young too .

Well yesterday, actually, and not today, but the bandit who did the gas station shooting a month ago and then dumped his car blocks from my house (putting fear into all of us residents in the area, wondering where he was hiding out!) was finally caught today. I wonder where he was for the whole month with no car, no home. Good riddance.

I've been watching for when they will kick off NCIS: Los Angeles, but I'm suspecting they may move it to a different day or something. Three NCIS shows on a Tuesday night would be too much. I'm thinking they may move it to either Thursday or Friday. NCIS used to be on Fridays a few years back. They have yet to release that information, but should soon.
From Wiki-
" CBS renewed the series for a sixth season,[20] when it will move from Tuesdays at 9:00 pm to Mondays at 10:00 pm. Season 6 is scheduled to premiere on September 29, 2014."

I just found out my Trek bicycle is ready for pickup. Now headed to do so.

I also learned that the part that got replaced has a 45-day warranty in case it goes wrong, and they advised me to keep the receipt that came with it, and that's exactly what I intend to do, just in case it does break down again.

Last edited:
I learned that CT DMV is worse than I thought. :mad:

The motorcycle that we're giving him is on route now; he should get it tonight.

However, thanks to DMV, he won't be allowed to ride it. :(

Since the DMV in CT never heard of the Hyosung motorcycle brand, they don't believe it exists. They claim that since there is no Hyosung dealership in CT, they have to prove their existence. (Even though we sent my bro the original title.) They don't even trust an official state document, the original title!

They are requiring my bro to rent a trailer and haul the bike half way across the state to some official who can authenticate that it's a real motorcycle. Grrrrr!!!!

This is a lot of expense and inconvenience for him, to rent a trailer, borrow a vehicle with a hitch, and take time off from work (for which he won't be paid).

What is wrong with Connecticut?! :mad:

Connecticut has their head on backwards. Wow.. I have never heard of anything so inane. Your poor brother...

Connecticut has their head on backwards. Wow.. I have never heard of anything so inane. Your poor brother...
I'm sure it's all about money. It's just another way for the State to collect some fees. Since they don't get any revenue from a Hyosung dealership they figure they can hit up the individual bike owner to shell out some money to them.

I learned that this December I get to go to a major Christmas party on LaSalle. This should be a fun time. The location is fairly close to Union Station, so it's easy to get to.

AppleFest for Lincoln Square neighborhood is set for Sept. 20th, and will be entering its 27th year.

I learned that CT DMV is worse than I thought. :mad:

The motorcycle that we're giving him is on route now; he should get it tonight.

However, thanks to DMV, he won't be allowed to ride it. :(

Since the DMV in CT never heard of the Hyosung motorcycle brand, they don't believe it exists. They claim that since there is no Hyosung dealership in CT, they have to prove their existence. (Even though we sent my bro the original title.) They don't even trust an official state document, the original title!

They are requiring my bro to rent a trailer and haul the bike half way across the state to some official who can authenticate that it's a real motorcycle. Grrrrr!!!!

This is a lot of expense and inconvenience for him, to rent a trailer, borrow a vehicle with a hitch, and take time off from work (for which he won't be paid).

What is wrong with Connecticut?! :mad:

Can we look at the positives here. At least he is not driving halfway across Texas. It's roughly an hour in CT.

I would borrow a trailer from a friend, and have this done in an afternoon. Go in work early at 7am or something, take off at lunch time, and sort it out in the afternoon. That way expenses can be minimized.

Then ta-da. He's rewarded with a motorcycle that he "paid for" with taking an afternoon off.

Honestly if anyone can't afford to take a day off to deal with their new car maybe they should reconsider getting it. I mean one day for many people usually is cheaper than all the responsibilities with incurring a new car/toy.

Can we look at the positives here. At least he is not driving halfway across Texas. It's roughly an hour in CT.
Texas probably wouldn't have such stupid requirements.

I would borrow a trailer from a friend, and have this done in an afternoon. Go in work early at 7am or something, take off at lunch time, and sort it out in the afternoon. That way expenses can be minimized.
Not everyone has a friend with a trailer. None of my brother's friends have a trailer. My brother works in retail, so he has to be at work when the store is open for business; he can't create a work schedule. He'll just have to take time off without pay.

Then ta-da. He's rewarded with a motorcycle that he "paid for" with taking an afternoon off.
I hope so.

Honestly if anyone can't afford to take a day off to deal with their new car maybe they should reconsider getting it. I mean one day for many people usually is cheaper than all the responsibilities with incurring a new car/toy.
He's already taken off several hours to deal with DMV after several trips. He's paid several hundreds of dollars for shipping, insurance, and other expenses involved.

He's going to do what needs to be done. It still doesn't mean the CT DMV isn't evil. All CT bureaucracy is evil. :mad:

I was born there, and lived there many years; my family has lived there for almost 400 years, so I can say that.

I hope someone knows what Texas requirements are and posts them or a link to them.

Gifting a Vehicle

Gifting a vehicle must be indicated on the title application in order to bypass the use tax requirements typically associated with title transfers. Read the steps below for more info.

Give the new owner your signed, negotiable title.
Have the new owner complete a Application for Texas Title (Form 130-U). He should check the box in Section 21 that reads “$10 Gift Tax.”
You and the recipient must complete and sign an Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer (Form 14-317).
Let the new owner know he’ll have to present the application and the affidavit as well as proof of auto insurance to the county tax office when he goes to title and register the vehicle in his name.
NOTE: The $10 Gift Tax only applies to a person who receives the vehicle from a:

Spouse
Parent or stepparent
Sibling
Guardian
Grandparent or grandchild
Descedant's estate
Nonprofit or is donated

Texas Title Transfers - DMV Titling & Registration Information Online at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back