Were you lied by schools and/or parents that you were "hearing?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh so you are a licensed Psychologist then? Just curious.... I was thinking you were a licensed counselor...

I think you should just give it up. this is becoming too childish and extremely tiresome especially from you. you either have a proof that she's a liar or you don't.

now don't be a gnat.

It's really hard to think about my what kind schooling I had because it brings up too many horrible thing about my childhood. So I will just read what other say. I really think people would rather me keep my childhood to myself.

Not at all! We are all here to learn, socialize and provide support where needed.

I remember my own therapist telling me that I needed to talk about past hurts as many times as I needed. She say to cry a lot because that is our body's way of letting the pain leave our body for good. She tell me that one day I won't need to talk about it any more and she was right.

So, talk all you want. It's fine by me. :hug:

Yes, you received that indirect message by what people around you did and did not do. That is why parents and educators need to examine their own audist beliefs and how they play out in their actions, no matter that they protest, "I am not audist!" Children get these messages more from behaviors than from actual words.

It is like I tell parents, if you sign only when you are communicating directly with your child, and not in his/her presence whether you are talking to him/her or not, you are giving that child the message that there is something different about them. The child then interprets "different" to be "less than" or "inferior".

I agreed wholehearted with you about actions speak louder than words.

What also hurts me is that hearing parents are more likely to listen to the hearing people rather than the deaf people. I guess that is why the oralism philiosophy continued on.

Lots of emotional issues. While I was raised hearie I was always very blunt and didn't understand social, how do you say, etiquette for certain things? I never understood why being blunt and open was such a big deal and never felt like I 'fit' in. That can play with your head.

Fortunately, that was years ago. I'm 'normal' now. :laugh2:

I know I would start to talk when someone else is talking if I could not see their face. I could not hear that person talking and people thought I was being rude. I had to tell them I did not hear them talking. I am very blunt too and I try to tone it down when talking to some people. I know I spoke loud before I got my first HA. And my neighbors did not like me playing with their kids on the weekend as I was so loud it woke people up when they wanted to sleep late.

I think you should just give it up. this is becoming too childish and extremely tiresome especially from you. you either have a proof that she's a liar or you don't.

now don't be a gnat.

I just asked a question.... *shrug*. I don't come here much any more. Hard to keep track of everyone.

I just asked a question.... *shrug*. I don't come here much any more. Hard to keep track of everyone.

for every single time you come back here - you question about her credential. that's the only thing you keep track of :roll:

Not at all! We are all here to learn, socialize and provide support where needed.

I remember my own therapist telling me that I needed to talk about past hurts as many times as I needed. She say to cry a lot because that is our body's way of letting the pain leave our body for good. She tell me that one day I won't need to talk about it any more and she was right.

So, talk all you want. It's fine by me. :hug:

I was not sure if was OK because my childhood had a lot to with what kind of eduction I got.
I can remember being called on by a teach in fifth grade to do a math problem on the blackboard, the teacher knew I was failing in math but she did not give a shit. She kept me there and the class was over! My older sister came looking for me and my teacher said in a really shitty voice to my sister" it look like I will have have the janitor bring up a bed for your sister as she will be spending the night here!" That teacher never spoke to my parents about failing math , all she care about was making me feel stupid.

Do you need a link to the two degrees? They perform and are licensed the same, except PsyD is more clinical based and PhD more research based.

You could have looked that up, unless you just wanted to make insinuations.

Just so TXGolfer is clear on this once and for all: Until I completed my PsyD, I had my LPC, and my CRC. The rest of you already know all of that.

Of course he just wants to make insinuations. Just shows how insecure he truly is. Otherwise, he would be commenting on topic instead of playing these silly, childish games.

That's terrible.

(Edited to add: This is in response to whatdidyousay!)

I know I would start to talk when someone else is talking if I could not see their face. I could not hear that person talking and people thought I was being rude. I had to tell them I did not hear them talking. I am very blunt too and I try to tone it down when talking to some people. I know I spoke loud before I got my first HA. And my neighbors did not like me playing with their kids on the weekend as I was so loud it woke people up when they wanted to sleep late.

People thought I was a 'snob' or 'bitch' simply because they thought I was ignoring them. :roll:

I was not sure if was OK because my childhood had a lot to with what kind of eduction I got.
I can remember being called on by a teach in fifth grade to do a math problem on the blackboard, the teacher knew I was failing in math but she did not give a shit. She kept me there and the class was over! My older sister came looking for me and my teacher said in a really shitty voice to my sister" it look like I will have have the janitor bring up a bed for your sister as she will be spending the night here!" That teacher never spoke to my parents about failing math , all she care about was making me feel stupid.

That's just horrible! What would possess someone to become a teacher when they can treat a child like that? :mad2:

Did you ever tell your parents how you were treated?

People thought I was a 'snob' or 'bitch' simply because they thought I was ignoring them. :roll:

Me too. Sales people in strange stores give me rude looks all the time and I realise they have been hollering out across the store at me. Oh well.

Lol, it goes same for me till they learned who I was and they swallowed.

Lots of people get red faced when you tell them and then they usually say, "Oh, I'm *so* sorry. Can it be fixed?" :roll:

The same thing happened to me. I was in fifth grade in a hearing elementary school and flunking math (as well as a few other subjects). The teacher made me stay in class during recess and tried to explain some math problems to me. I couldn't understand a word he was saying so I got more miserable with each second. His intentions were good and he was ignorant of how little deafies can actually lipread. Fifth grade was the most miserable time of my life. :lol:

People thought I was really rude when I did not let them pass me in a grocery
store and they would ram their cart into me!! I almost got into a fight with a 300 lbs woman when she did that to me. I did not care that was bigger than me! One woman was asking me for direction and I kept telling her I can't hear her and she got really angry at me for not helping her! I was not going to stand in the traffic for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back