Were you lied by schools and/or parents that you were "hearing?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. Sales people in strange stores give me rude looks all the time and I realise they have been hollering out across the store at me. Oh well.

The more hearies that I meet, that do not know anything about the Deaf, I am surprised that more of us don't feel invisible *all* the time.

Fortunately, the hearies that I care about are interested enough to know as much as they can and a common reply is, "Wow, I had no idea!"

Very phunny. Why u have to do that? That's my privacy. :roll:

We had this talk before. All you have to do is not come in and disrupt by writing nonsense in tiny or invisible letters.

You annoy everybody by doing that. Behave like a civilized person and I won't bother you. You know that and you behaved for a while.

The same thing happened to me. I was in fifth grade in a hearing elementary school and flunking math (as well as a few other subjects). The teacher made me stay in class during recess and tried to explain some math problems to me. I couldn't understand a word he was saying so I got more miserable with each second. His intentions were good and he was ignorant of how little deafies can actually lipread. Fifth grade was the most miserable time of my life. :lol:

That holds true to what we know about kids. Fifth grade is a transition time because of the developmental stage most kids are in at that time. It is when they begin to notice differences and to ostracise anyone who is different. For deaf kids, this is usually when the social problems begin to show themselves, and that in turn, affects the academic performance. Also, academics begin to move in a different direction about this time and many deaf kids have not received sufficient education the first 4 years, especially in the mainstream, to make this transition. This is also the most common time for kids who have been mainstreamed to be transfered to deaf schools because the combined problems become insurmountable. I only wish that people would be aware of the issues before they create such misery for the deaf student.

The more hearies that I meet, that do not know anything about the Deaf, I am surprised that more of us don't feel invisible *all* the time.

Fortunately, the hearies that I care about are interested enough to know as much as they can and a common reply is, "Wow, I had no idea!"

My brother and I have matching tshirts...his says "I'm not deaf, I'm igorning you" and mine says "I'm not ignoring you, I'm deaf"...he had them made for us. LOL.

My brother and I have matching tshirts...his says "I'm not deaf, I'm igorning you" and mine says "I'm not ignoring you, I'm deaf"...he had them made for us. LOL.

That is too cool. My son had the one that said, "I'm not deaf, I'm ignoring you." Funny when he would wear it and just be signing away! He has a quirky sense of humor sometimes.:giggle:

The same thing happened to me. I was in fifth grade in a hearing elementary school and flunking math (as well as a few other subjects). The teacher made me stay in class during recess and tried to explain some math problems to me. I couldn't understand a word he was saying so I got more miserable with each second. His intentions were good and he was ignorant of how little deafies can actually lipread. Fifth grade was the most miserable time of my life. :lol:

When we had math test we had to stand up when we done with the test! I hated this like HELL , I tried to finish my test as fast as possible but I was always one of the last kid to stand up ! And no one knew I was dyslexia and this made learning math harder. I hated my fifth grade teacher with a passion!
She was a bitch!

That holds true to what we know about kids. Fifth grade is a transition time because of the developmental stage most kids are in at that time. It is when they begin to notice differences and to ostercise anyone who is different. For deaf kids, this is usually when the social problems begin to show themselves, and that in turn, affects the academic performance. Also, academics begin to move in a different direction about this time and many deaf kids have not received sufficient education the first 4 years, especially in the mainstream, to make this transition. This is also the most common time for kids who have been mainstreamed to be transfered to deaf schools because the combined problems become insurmountable. I only wish that people would be aware of the issues before they create such misery for the deaf student.

The more I consider it, the more you are right. Dang, it was a miserable year for the whole family (I had two brothers and two sisters, all hearing) and I wonder if I helped cause it. My parents had knock-down, drag-out fights and started drinking. That was also the year my dad threatened to send me away to an institution where they would visit me once a year.
I am not bitter about it, mind you, mostly because I can understand why it happened now. :hmm:

That is too cool. My son had the one that said, "I'm not deaf, I'm ignoring you." Funny when he would wear it and just be signing away! He has a quirky sense of humor sometimes.:giggle:

I have that quote on my bookmark that I bought at RIT bookstore and still have it. I remember that it was very popular with Deafs when I was there. Bumper stickers, etc.

People thought I was really rude when I did not let them pass me in a grocery
store and they would ram their cart into me!! I almost got into a fight with a 300 lbs woman when she did that to me. I did not care that was bigger than me! One woman was asking me for direction and I kept telling her I can't hear her and she got really angry at me for not helping her! I was not going to stand in the traffic for her!

Just completely unaware that there are actually Deaf people in this world.:roll:

I was at a Deadmau5 concert on Friday night and wore my pink headphone/ear protectors and some guy come up to me and ask question. I did not understand him so he ask it again. I tell him, again, that I did not understand him. I then tell him I'm Deaf pointing to my headphones and nodding 'no'. He says, "Oh, wow, so you're reading my lips?" I nod yes. He ask me if I'm 100% Deaf and I say pretty close. He ask me why I'm wearing protective headphones. :shock: Wouldn't that be obvious? Not only am I protecting what little sound is still available but too long of exposure to loud noises really, really hurts my ears. He ask me, "Why would you come to a concert if you can't hear it?" I tell him I feel the music and the visual is incredible.:roll: He offers me to come sit with him because he have great seats. I show him my 'All Access' pass and walk away. :giggle:

That's just horrible! What would possess someone to become a teacher when they can treat a child like that? :mad2:

Did you ever tell your parents how you were treated?

No, my dad treated me worst than that! He used my head for target practice!
He threw things at my head all the time!

No, my dad treated me worst than that! He used my head for target practice!
He threw things at my head all the time!

That's just *SO* horrible!!!

My parents didn't hit me. They hit each other. Always trying to kill each other.:roll:

That holds true to what we know about kids. Fifth grade is a transition time because of the developmental stage most kids are in at that time. It is when they begin to notice differences and to ostercise anyone who is different. For deaf kids, this is usually when the social problems begin to show themselves, and that in turn, affects the academic performance. Also, academics begin to move in a different direction about this time and many deaf kids have not received sufficient education the first 4 years, especially in the mainstream, to make this transition. This is also the most common time for kids who have been mainstreamed to be transfered to deaf schools because the combined problems become insurmountable. I only wish that people would be aware of the issues before they create such misery for the deaf student.

*nods* Yes, that is exactly what the pro oralists and pro mainstreamers/inclusionists and a certain poster (who I will not name) don't understand. Yes, the old days of oral 8th graders only acheiving to " Abebraham Lincoln was a tall man. Tall." or an oral second grader still learning words that a five year old should know are SO past. A kid no longer needs to spend their entire elementary school years at an oral school. BUT, the reason why oral deaf schools still had dorms until recently, wasn't b/c a lot of AG Bad parents were sending their five year olds to live in the dorms. It was b/c a lot of oral mainstreamed kids started doing badly in the mainstream and had to go and live at CID, Clarke etc Early academic performance does NOT predict later academic/social emotional performance. And actually, I do know that almost all oral mainstreamed kids do have significent social emotional problems. God, that is ALL they talked about at the Clarke School conference. I can pretty much guarentee you that if Clarke had an academic program to grade 12, it would be BOOMING!!!! All the kids who attend the kid's program at the Mainstream conference would transfer there.
But on the upside, a lot more Deaf Schools and programs for the dhh are becoming hoh friendly. I know bajagirl and shel have said they've seen a plethora of hoh and oral deaf (and not nessarily kids who didn't thrive orally) kids transfer to their deaf schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back