Welfare recipients live in mansion

do we know for certain if it's that right person this article was talking about?

We don't know for sure. Waiting for more details.

They can, if they are willing to commit fraud.

Oh,yeah. That $500.00 in disability and $400.00 in food stamps is going to lead to someone becoming a millionaire.

And there is no evidence at all that these people have committed fraud. People are simply jumping to conclusions.

Oh,yeah. That $500.00 in disability and $400.00 in food stamps is going to lead to someone becoming a millionaire.

And there is no evidence at all that these people have committed fraud. People are simply jumping to conclusions.

You are not considering the total spectrum of fraud. It is not always one person/one account. Some people collect several checks a month. They are willing to lie and cheat to do so. They can invest their money into something like cocaine, marijuana growing, etc. Why be so naive?

Huh? How about ban chiropractors on welfare? Or should we give away government cheese to everyone that asks?

How about chiropractors that can no longer practice and are in temproary need? Any one in any profession can encounter life circumstances that cause them to be in need of assistance.

I personally know a Ph.D. college professor who had to leave her job and eventually go on public assistance to support herself and her children because she was escaping an abusive relationship.

Welfare fraud is actually pretty straigh forward and easy to prosecute. Disability fraud, as well.

exactly.

The thought of whole government having a great difficulty in investigating and prosecuting some commoners defrauding our welfare system is.... just plain dang comical.

We hear insurance/welfare frauds all the time. Too easy to investigate and prosecute. and corporate fraud? nope. maybe couple times a year since most cases end in settlements and are quickly swept away under carpet.

You are not considering the total spectrum of fraud. It is not always one person/one account. Some people collect several checks a month. They are willing to lie and cheat to do so. They can invest their money into something like cocaine, marijuana growing, etc. Why be so naive?

And how many of them are there as compared to the number of people who are not committing fraud and are receiving assistance appropriately? If it were that common, it would be in the news on a daily basis. I can't remember the last time I saw a case such as you have illustrated in the news. This is just an example of the ways in which people say, "But it could happen" in an attempt to case a negative light on those who receive assistance.

exactly.

The thought of whole government having a great difficulty in investigating and prosecuting some commoners defrauding our welfare system is.... just plain dang comical.

We hear insurance/welfare frauds all the time. Too easy to investigate and prosecute. and corporate fraud? nope. maybe couple times a year since most cases end in settlements and are quickly swept away under carpet.

Exactly. All these suppositions are just that...suppositions. All intended to cast a negative light on those who receive assistance, the lazy, no good bums!:roll:

How about chiropractors that can no longer practice and are in temproary need? Any one in any profession can encounter life circumstances that cause them to be in need of assistance.

I personally know a Ph.D. college professor who had to leave her job and eventually go on public assistance to support herself and her children because she was escaping an abusive relationship.
Examples? I am referring to the people described in this case. Another note; how can someone get wealthy on welfare? How about these numbers...
The lawsuit, filed by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Seattle, alleges that Silverstein received more than $135,000 in housing benefits while living in the home.
That would be a nice government subsidy for someone working as a temp.

^^^ Life happens. I used to be gainfully employed, paying mortgage on a house, and one left sided weakness related stroke later, I've lost my job, my house, go in bankruptcy due to medical bills and wind up living in a mice & cockroach infested apartment on what little public assistance I get.

And I really don't like it when people go around saying I'm a jerk for doing so, :ty: very much.

^^^ Life happens. I used to be gainfully employed, paying mortgage on a house, and one left sided weakness related stroke later, I've lost my job, my house, go in bankruptcy due to medical bills and wind up living in a mice & cockroach infested apartment on what little public assistance I get.

And I really don't like it when people go around saying I'm a jerk for doing so, :ty: very much.

You are not alone. Lots of people in same situation.

Examples? I am referring to the people described in this case. Another note; how can someone get wealthy on welfare? How about these numbers...

That would be a nice government subsidy for someone working as a temp.

I just gave you an example of a professional who actually has more training that a chiropractor does.

Source? You quoted but did not provide information regarding where the quote came from.

Once again, you are pulling singular examples that have happened years apart and trying to make it sound like it is an everyday occurrance. That is just silly.

Understand completely. The attitudes I am seeing generally exhibited here are disturbing. Not a single person here is exempt from being in a postion tomorrow to need public assistance. Tunes change when tragedy hits close to home, though.:cool2:

I just gave you an example of a professional who actually has more training that a chiropractor does.

Source? You quoted but did not provide information regarding where the quote came from.

Once again, you are pulling singular examples that have happened years apart and trying to make it sound like it is an everyday occurrance. That is just silly.

Source was Reba's posted article: http://www.alldeaf.com/current-events/97093-welfare-recipients-live-mansion.html#post1987586

I feel you are trying to paint me as anti-welfare. I am anti-this-case. Big difference. How did they do this? It appears they collected lots of government benefits. The numbers are out there. Do you think they are entitled to this? If so, sign me up! I will grab some of this!

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Well in Seattle, a lakefront home is considered a manison. I know that area pretty good. I used to live near the lakefront in Seward Park neighborhood. Its a defination for Seattle.

How do you know how much training the chiropractor has? I know of many cases in my area where drugs are traded for food stamps. The system IS abused, broken and needs to be fixed. Mandatory drug and alcohol testing for all recipients. Require that those capable work for their wages.

Investigate the fraud so the ones who deserve it get it!

How do you know how much training the chiropractor has? I know of many cases in my area where drugs are traded for food stamps. The system IS abused, broken and needs to be fixed. Mandatory drug and alcohol testing for all recipients. Require that those capable work for their wages.

Not gonna agree with this. The cost of the testing, coupled with all the ways of getting around it, make this a difficult thing to enforce. We would need to create a new "Welfare drug testing, collection, and analysis department" for this. No thanks. There are a couple of threads devoted to drug testing welfare recipients.

Investigate the fraud so the ones who deserve it get it!
Agreed 100% with last statement.

Back