Unusual Thrift store finds

What is a salt cellar? That one is new to me.

My in-laws just celebrated 60 years of marriage and we managed to hunt down a 1930's sterling silver set of two each with their own spoon and in a special made velvet box.

They were really thrilled. My father-in-law was a jeweler so he really loves those types of things.

And your set sounds impressive. I don't think I have seen a master salt cellar. Unless I did not know what I was looking at.

Yeah, the master crystal part of the set was about three inches high and oblongish and full of salt. It sat at the Father's place at the table with the individual cellars next to it and then at the beginning of the meal, the father would use the sterling spoon and put some salt in the individual cellars and pass them around to family members. Then for the meal, a pinch of salt was taken by the folks to salt their food. I think that's where "A pinch of salt" sprang from.

What is a salt cellar? That one is new to me.
This is kind of a fanciful one, and I think new not antique, but you can get an idea.

salt%20celler%20fish-tn.jpg

Yeah, the master crystal part of the set was about three inches high and oblongish and full of salt. It sat at the Father's place at the table with the individual cellars next to it and then at the beginning of the meal, the father would use the sterling spoon and put some salt in the individual cellars and pass them around to family members. Then for the meal, a pinch of salt was taken by the folks to salt their food. I think that's where "A pinch of salt" sprang from.

That is interesting. I will tell my husband that tonight. I bet he will be off on a new search for a master salt cellar.:lol:

Cool!

Never seen a dish that is made for salt.

So used to the Salt and pepper shakers.

I have probably seen them before but not knowing what it was.

Interesting... learn something new everyday :D

Botti can you get an image of the typical cut crystal individual salt cellar> They were typically about two inches across and an inch or less high. I am not good at this but I will try now....

Botti can you get an image of the typical cut crystal individual salt cellar> They were typically about two inches across and an inch or less high. I am not good at this but I will try now....

MO106C.jpg

This one ok?

YAY, Botti, good one! So, BB, there's one for you and remember, back in the day, they came in all kinds of designs and from different companies. There must be a hundred designs!

There were even depression glass salt cellars, too, but we didn't care for them.

Gotta go for a couple hours. Thanks again, Botti.

YAY, Botti, good one! So, BB, there's one for you and remember, back in the day, they came in all kinds of designs and from different companies. There must be a hundred designs!

There were even depression glass salt cellars, too, but we didn't care for them.

Gotta go for a couple hours. Thanks again, Botti.

I like depression glass. Especially the pastel ones.

Cool I will have to google up about the salt cellars.

Thanks for sharing 2c.

I dont do the thrift shop thing (mostly I just don't have time for it nor am I patient enough to rummage through junk to find a hidden gem.) My dad however does this. As a kid my brother and I had to follow him into these junk stores and he would spend HOURS in these stores looking for a specific Griswold pan. I can recall him shouting "Hey Marcia! (my mom) I found a number 17!!" and he's holding up this huge iron skillet. and people are looking at him like "WTF?"

There were times it got ridiculous, like everytime we would go to Hot Springs, AR, he absolutely had to stop on the Hwy 7 Junk Trade. He would go to each individual booth. It would be 100 degrees out, the rest of us were wanting to get to the Mall where there was airconditioning and dads out by one of the booths yammering on and on about a certain item that his parents had when he was a kid. There were times we were tempted to leave him there! :giggle:

I dont do the thrift shop thing (mostly I just don't have time for it nor am I patient enough to rummage through junk to find a hidden gem.) My dad however does this. As a kid my brother and I had to follow him into these junk stores and he would spend HOURS in these stores looking for a specific Griswold pan. I can recall him shouting "Hey Marcia! (my mom) I found a number 17!!" and he's holding up this huge iron skillet. and people are looking at him like "WTF?"

There were times it got ridiculous, like everytime we would go to Hot Springs, AR, he absolutely had to stop on the Hwy 7 Junk Trade. He would go to each individual booth. It would be 100 degrees out, the rest of us were wanting to get to the Mall where there was airconditioning and dads out by one of the booths yammering on and on about a certain item that his parents had when he was a kid. There were times we were tempted to leave him there! :giggle:

Must just be stage of life. You describe my husband and me pretty closely. :) But with sign so no one notices.

Must just be stage of life. You describe my husband and me pretty closely. :) But with sign so no one notices.

Oh there were times I would have liked for him to have used sign instead of shouting across the store. I could tell he was shouting because everyone would just stop and look at him. One time I was embarrassed enough I just walked away and out of the store, went down the street and bought a soda and waited for him outside on the boardwalk. When he came out he was like ,"Where did you go?" I just said - "It was time for me to go when you shouted across the store like a 3 year old on Christmas morning!" :giggle:

Oh there were times I would have liked for him to have used sign instead of shouting across the store. I could tell he was shouting because everyone would just stop and look at him. One time I was embarrassed enough I just walked away and out of the store, went down the street and bought a soda and waited for him outside on the boardwalk. When he came out he was like ,"Where did you go?" I just said - "It was time for me to go when you shouted across the store like a 3 year old on Christmas morning!" :giggle:

:laugh2:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I brag about how much saved!

I am also very bad about this. I love to look for bargains and then tell my friends about my good deal. I hardly ever need the stuff but will buy it just because it's cheap and I like it. My latest find was a really cute Radio Flyer toddler bike from the 70's in great condition for $5. It has a wood seat and streamers off of the handle bars.

I am also very bad about this. I love to look for bargains and then tell my friends about my good deal. I hardly ever need the stuff but will buy it just because it's cheap and I like it. My latest find was a really cute Radio Flyer toddler bike from the 70's in great condition for $5. It has a wood seat and streamers off of the handle bars.

I can relate to buying things when I find a good buy. But I think they always come in handy at some time in future.:hmm:

Bott, Is that a cuckoo clock between the moose and rabbit?

I love older cuckoo clocks. My hubs served during the vietnam era and was stationed in Germany. We recently took our cuckoo clock, he purchased in a small village, to be serviced. The clockmaker here admired it so much I was afraid we wouldn't get it back :)

Bott, Is that a cuckoo clock between the moose and rabbit?

I love older cuckoo clocks. My hubs served during the vietnam era and was stationed in Germany. We recently took our cuckoo clock, he purchased in a small village, to be serviced. The clockmaker here admired it so much I was afraid we wouldn't get it back :)

Yes, it is an old German clock. My father-in-law had inherited it and did not care for it so he gave it to us. :) So it is quite old.

I love to go thrift shopping! I once bought a brooch for $10...and later found out it was worth well over $600. Yay!

I love to go thrift shopping! I once bought a brooch for $10...and later found out it was worth well over $600. Yay!

I understand we are both from the same state - but I cannot think of what a brooch is. Care to explain?

Back