Universal Health Care

Do you think there should be Universal Health Care?

• Yes

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
I'd love to walk into hospital and not pay outrageous bills. I went to dermatologist a few days ago and the consultation took only 2 min.... prescribed 2 ointments (I have a persistent dry skin problems). Total cost... about $400 :mad2:

WHAT!!! :shock: It look like that they rip you off?

We went to dermatogologist for skin cancer check up once a year... Healthcare cover it.

My oldest son has acne on his forehead... (puberty) - he went to dermatogolist twice a week for long month and cure it. Healthcare cover it...

While this Universal Healthcare is a wonderful concept.... it is unrealistic and costly especially when the world is fueled by monetary economy. For now - I think government should do something about the cost of medications. It's insanely expensive!

but it´s really worth...

Universal health care sounds very good. But I don't see how it's going to help us. Should we have such in place, how long do we get to see the doctors or get immediate care? On a long waiting list? I bet way longer than many European countries and Canada. There are a little over 300-million people in the United States, European countries and Canada don't have that many people.

Does China have an universal health system in place? If so, I bet the residents there have to wait long time.

Yeah, I don't think ER takes little waiting time. That's because there's no appointment for ER. Some people aren't aware of Urgent Care for less ER people to treat, so that makes waiting time longer and more expensive.

Doctor's office have appointments, and it seems to me that Canada and Europe don't make appointments. Do they?

I was hoping some people from Europe and Canada would post their opinions.

Maybe USA will get the hang of it and do a good job because we've so many doctors, nurses, medical assistants, hospitals, etc.

Americans are used to instant gratification. They are used to complaining if they don't get seen in 15 minutes. It's a hard concept to understand.

Sicko is a documentary, but that's what it is to make you think.

I don't like that pharmaceuticals and doctors work for money and greed.

Well, I was in USA to visit a friend with ADer friend last year. We were at waiting room for a long hours for get the bed for him. I have seen the people in waiting room...

Then it already prove as if there is Health pass here in US, it would get worst.

Urgent Care is not a full emergency service.

I know it is not. What I am trying to say is that some people who don't need the full emergency service don't know about Urgent Care is a better place to go than ER, so that they can leave ER to those who need the full emergency service.

Then it already prove as if there is Health pass here in US, it would get worst.

How would it get worse? AliciaM said it's shorter waiting time, and Liebling said it's longer waiting time.

Liebling said they are all different. How is USA going to be worse with Universal Health Care?

One question.

Do you care that other people don't have health care? Do you think it's their responsibility to obtain health coverage?

I find this to be unfair sometimes because many jobs make avoid full-time jobs to not provide health care. Or they may have it, but the health isn't any better than when you get a self individual health insurance.

I just think there's so much that private health insurance and employers are selfish about that I don't see how the government will help control private insurance any better. Because it's private, how can the government get involved in it?

How would it get worse? AliciaM said it's shorter waiting time, and Liebling said it's longer waiting time.

Liebling said they are all different. How is USA going to be worse with Universal Health Care?

No, it is a shorter waiting time in the U.S. compared to here. And to answer someone elses q we (in canada) still do have to make appt's unless it is a walk-in clinic. Even though it is universal health care not EVERYTHING is free. The "free" stuff is paid through taxes and thats including the people that we support on welfare that get almost everything free including rent and such. I'm not saying I'm not glad to be able to just walk in to the hospital and get treated when need be, but it isn't that cracked up to be. Like I said wait times in the ER are ridiculous and we may not have as many people as you guys do in the U.S. are waiting rooms are FILLED with people waiting most of the time 3hrs + just to get into a room and then another few hours just to see a doctor.

It's not that i don't "care" if they don't have health insurance. It's just how America is when it comes to wealth and poverty. Poor people are just poor. Do I have to care if they don't have car to go to work? Do I have to care if they can't afford decent clothes like J.Crew? Do I care if they can't afford to have a cheap computer with internet at home?

But I'd want AFFORDABLE health insurance and especially affordable medication. I find it extremely outrageous to pay triple-digits for medications. That's all I want - affordable health care system. concept of Universal healthcare will not work in USA.

It's true. I think because of our population and our geography etc it works here but I don't see it happening to the States. I just think that the government needs to do something though to lessen the costs of medications, tests, surgeries, etc.

we are populated but as you go more north the population dwindles and u see more local communities and towns rather than big cities like toronto, ottawa, vancouver etc. In the north it's much colder so not as many people live there, we may appear to be bigger (geographically) but not population wise.

Universal health care sounds very good. But I don't see how it's going to help us. Should we have such in place, how long do we get to see the doctors or get immediate care? On a long waiting list? I bet way longer than many European countries and Canada. There are a little over 300-million people in the United States, European countries and Canada don't have that many people.

Does China have an universal health system in place? If so, I bet the residents there have to wait long time.

Yup, China and India has universal health center.

At doctor visit in my area, I had wait about 1-2 hours then got in room and wait for 30 min to see doctor.

Not every universal health care cause long wait time, there's non-universal health care like in USA has longer wait in some doctor office but more worse in ER.

I had wait for 4 hours at ER in around midnight because of bone broken in my end of finger, it was back in 2005.

When I had pnemonia...I was taken to the room immediatly after appearing at the front desk.

Try waiting in the ER for about 5 hours with a temperature of 104.

Oh I b**** and moaned to the Director of the ER about their inability to streamline people. (When I am sick, I am very nasty person!)

Oh....this was a Sunday afternoon when this happend.

After I complained, the Director announced that they were no longer taking anymore people and having them re-routed to other hospitals. I appalauded in front of everyone.

Then they called for me.

I was in the hospital for one week. Two emergency surgeries on my neck to drain the infection.

I don't know if universal healthcare is the answer to our problems but something needs to be done!

Byrdie - haha! good that you SPEAK YOUR MIND! :mad2:
2 questions - this happened in your state - Washington? and did they stop accepting people because hospital was at its limit at that time?

Byrdie - haha! good that you SPEAK YOUR MIND! :mad2:
2 questions - this happened in your state - Washington? and did they stop accepting people because hospital was at its limit at that time?

What happend was the previous Friday, I went into the hospital for the same complaint and they just gave me two pills and sent me home. They dismissed it as an ear infection. The only problem was that the ear infection wasn't draining......

There were 3 major hospitals within a 5 mile radius ( First Hill in Seattle aka "Pill Hill") For some reason, everyone was flocking to Swedish Hospital as it is a "creme de la creme" hospital and that happends to be the hospital that my doctor is affiliated with.

The hospital was beyond it's limit with everyone coming in by aid care as well as into the ER.

BTW....:) I always speak my mind. I may be Deaf but I ain't silent! :lol:

I think there should be a healthcare system in which people from all socio-economic levels can afford and not have to risk losing their houses, assets, or jobs due to a serious injury or illness. If that would be called Universal Health Care, then yes, we should have one.

I think there should be a healthcare system in which people from all socio-economic levels can afford and not have to risk losing their houses, assets, or jobs due to a serious injury or illness. If that would be called Universal Health Care, then yes, we should have one.

I agree especially for those with pre-existing conditions.

I agree especially for those with pre-existing conditions.

It feels like they are being punished for having these life-long conditions especially those that are life-threatening.

Back