UN Official Wants to Prosecute Bush, Rumsfeld for Torture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious.

Suppose a pedophile kidnapped your child, and buried him somewhere with a limited amount of air left. The police catch the pedophile but don't know where your child is buried. The clock is ticking. The police try various ways to get information from the pedophile. They try pleading to his humanity, trickery, family contacts, sympathy, legal deals, etc. They know from his family that he's terrified of drowning (he even avoids crossing bridges).

Would you approve of using waterboarding on this person to get information?

Nope.

Then I'll be the idiot bleedin' wet. :lol: I agree that this subject is much ado about nothing, unfortunately. You have to be an American citizen to truly understand how many of our rights are already gone, to live with the feeling that the Constitution is in the trash heap, with the feeling that the Federal Government is making up the laws as they go along, under the guise of "national security." I agree that this thread is much ado about nothing, since Congress has years ago voted to pardon the Bush junta for potential war crimes. We Americans are such pissers for all the care and attention we pay to our own affairs. :(
This link is pretty much sums up my views on the matter...
Can George W. Bush 'Self-Pardon' Himself? | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet

By the way, good to see you again, Macian!

it's called Patriot Acts. There's a chance that Obama may not renew it :mad2:

hmmm..... I guess your child would feel unfortunate to be your child, knowing that you won't do anything to save him/her life from bastard... I don't know how you gonna live with that conscience.

hmmm..... I guess your child would feel unfortunate to be your child, knowing that you won't do anything to save him/her life from bastard... I don't know how you gonna live with that conscience.

Torture is notoriously unreliable.
In a different scenario, how would you feel if your daughter got arrested and held without being charged (yup, Patriot Act) and they show you her signed confession that she shot JKF from the grassy knoll? That is what torture is, basically, to get the person being tortured to admit to anything they want to hear.

Last edited:

Oh I would definitely do something about it. Just not torture.

In a different scenario, how would you feel if your daughter got arrested and held without being charged (yup, Patriot Act) and they show you her signed confession that she shot JKF from the grassy knoll? That is what torture is, basically, to get the person being tortured to admit to anything they want to hear.

it's unreliable under certain torture techniques for certain duration. Beside - it's different from terrorism because his/her answer can be confirmed immediately.

wrong answer = more torture. simple as that

Oh I would definitely do something about it. Just not torture.

like what? Remember - your child has very limited time left because he/she will suffocate to death. See below.

Suppose a pedophile kidnapped your child, and buried him somewhere with a limited amount of air left. The police catch the pedophile but don't know where your child is buried. The clock is ticking. The police try various ways to get information from the pedophile. They try pleading to his humanity, trickery, family contacts, sympathy, legal deals, etc. They know from his family that he's terrified of drowning (he even avoids crossing bridges).

1. Police and you tried everything - begging, tricking, sympathy, legal deals, etc.
2. sick pedophile refused to confess and laughed at you
3. your child is suffocating and will die soon
4. police found out that pedophile has a fear of drowning and water

would you permit police to waterboard him? if no - what your other suggestion?

it's unreliable under certain torture techniques for certain duration. Beside - it's different from terrorism because his/her answer can be confirmed immediately.

wrong answer = more torture. simple as that

Until you get the answer you want. That is my point.

Until you get the answer you want. That is my point.

for war - it's all about delaying the vital information until that information is useless. That's why torture can be proven unreliable. However, there are certain techniques that yield more reliable result but it's still unreliable.

for law enforcement - coerced testimony or signing false testimony is because the accused was intentionally confused or threatened. For ie - police will threaten to deport or arrest his family member if he did not confess (even though he's innocent but cops don't care). It is also possible that the accused is undiagnosed mentally-ill or undiagnosed mentally-retarded... which leads to signing false testimony.

Either way - this is not related to Reba's hypothetical waterboarding scenario by law enforcement.

for war - it's all about delaying the vital information until that information is useless. That's why torture can be proven unreliable. However, there are certain techniques that yield more reliable result but it's still unreliable.

for law enforcement - coerced testimony or signing false testimony is because the accused was intentionally confused or threatened. For ie - police will threaten to deport or arrest his family member if he did not confess (even though he's innocent but cops don't care). It is also possible that the accused is undiagnosed mentally-ill or undiagnosed mentally-retarded... which leads to signing false testimony.

Either way - this is not related to Reba's hypothetical waterboarding scenario by law enforcement.

Is this an exercise in fluid thinking? :lol: I think my hypothesis IS related to Reba's post. She said "a pedophile" (who supposedly knows the whereabouts of the missing girl). Assuming the POLICE has him in custody, do we give them the power to torture? It sounds like there are other suspects. Do they get tortured as well? I have always heard that those who partake in torture inevitably try it themselves, and that makes my blood run cold.

Then I'll be the idiot bleedin' wet. :lol: I agree that this subject is much ado about nothing, unfortunately. You have to be an American citizen to truly understand how many of our rights are already gone, to live with the feeling that the Constitution is in the trash heap, with the feeling that the Federal Government is making up the laws as they go along, under the guise of "national security." I agree that this thread is much ado about nothing, since Congress has years ago voted to pardon the Bush junta for potential war crimes. We Americans are such pissers for all the care and attention we pay to our own affairs. :(
This link is pretty much sums up my views on the matter...
Can George W. Bush 'Self-Pardon' Himself? | Rights and Liberties | AlterNet

By the way, good to see you again, Macian!

you too:D

as a diversion to this dangerous topic i agree, yet your views have me confused,ie"I agree that this subject is much ado about nothing, unfortunately. You have to be an American citizen to truly understand how many of our rights are already gone"
whats american about it? it was us Scots and the Irish who penned the words, you owe your liberty to the celts, your wisdowm came from that in so many ways.
BUT, we didnt give you torture, how the US manages to somehow include that in the constitution is beyond me.
dont go Quoting small extracs either, its the same as the terrorists are doing, let us rise above all religious nonsense and let common sense prevail.

hangs around waiting for Reba to say the holy words:lol: no religious discussions:hmm:
forgive me Reba but it's about the only thing that gets ye posting:lol:

Oh, that's coercing. It's pretty easy to coerce someone into a false confession.

... hangs around waiting for Reba to say the holy words:lol: no religious discussions:hmm:
forgive me Reba but it's about the only thing that gets ye posting:lol:
Not at all. Sometimes I post just to :wave:

I didn't post earlier because I was (you will love this) at Wednesday Bible study and prayer service at my church. :)

Not at all. Sometimes I post just to :wave:

I didn't post earlier because I was (you will love this) at Wednesday Bible study and prayer service at my church. :)

I'm so sorry for that post Reba, i have no excuse, that was beneath me, i look forward to reading your feedback, please forgive my lapse of decorum:Oops:

my sincere apoligies...

I'm so sorry for that post Reba, i have no excuse, that was beneath me, i look forward to reading your feedback, please forgive my lapse of decorum:Oops:

my sincere apoligies...
All forgiven. :)

there are still Russians who were involved inthe Soviet Union's invasion of Hungary in 1956, Czech in 1968 and Afghanistan in 1979. Why aren't we prosecuted them? of course, always blame the right-wing, conservative Republicans.

there are still Russians who were involved inthe Soviet Union's invasion of Hungary in 1956, Czech in 1968 and Afghanistan in 1979. Why aren't we prosecuted them? of course, always blame the right-wing, conservative Republicans.

where do you get that idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back