Travis the monkey killed for going on a rampage while mental

Dreama, you can't say all snake owners will expect the same results as your friend/acquaintance!!

The same goes for all non-owners expecting every snake will kill their owners.

The only way to agree on this is to accept the fact that the animal CAN potentially act on natural instincts despite however they are treated and raised. Good or bad. It's more like a "caution & warning" sign.

The fact of the matter is, a snake has a reptilian brain. It is not capable of cognition. All it can do is act on instinct.

The fact of the matter is, a snake has a reptilian brain. It is not capable of cognition. All it can do is act on instinct.

Oh yeah, I'll agree with you on that one.

Natural science will show that the snake is incapable of more than just basic instinct.

Natural science will show that the snake is incapable of more than just basic instinct.

And instinct tells it to eat, to breed, and to shed it's skin. Nothing more.

Yes, Darwinism at its finest!

What we're saying is that snakes aren't proactive like us humans, snakes are reactive and rely on instinct to survive.

I have to agree with Jiro and Jillio that having wild animals for pets is a bad idea.

I'll agree there. I've heard to much about people not treating their exotic's right. Of course you can abuse ANY animal, but sometimes certain exotic animals get a harder deal because they attract certain people who like to get animals for really matcho reasons. They seem to attract the more nasty breed of people.

On the other hand, what do you do if you've rescued an exotic animal. I have chinchillas. I would release them if I could but they won't survive in the british country side so I can only try and take care of them to the best of my ability. I don't see them as pets like Jilli or the rats though. I see them as wild animals so I just have to manage them to the best of my ability.

I've also heard of people adopting parrots who kind of regret it later. The animals become an embarrasment but they just keep them anyway and try to manage them to the best of their ability. It can be a very difficult situation.

Because of the long lives of some of these animals the chances of being passed on to several owners and landing up in some rescue or other is very high.

I knew some people who had snakes. Believe me the snakes were a lot SAFER then their owners.

I don't know if it's true of all snake owners but there is some people who go all into getting fierce dogs like Pit bulls, and staffies and that. It's kind of really matcho. The 3 people I knew: one was an ex heroin adict on methodone, and it had a whole room full of reptiles.
One used to abuse her kids. But she still managed to keep them except when her eldest got big enough he beat the crap out of her. Anyway she had a boa and a staffie as well. The third one was this guy who liked to played the part of the local vigilantee. I found him scary. He had snakes once. He also had a couple of dogs which he let loose to roam round the neibourhood. He just turned them out. He and his girlfriend used to take cocaine.

I'll agree there. I've heard to much about people not treating their exotic's right. Of course you can abuse ANY animal, but sometimes certain exotic animals get a harder deal because they attract certain people who like to get animals for really matcho reasons. They seem to attract the more nasty breed of people.

On the other hand, what do you do if you've rescued an exotic animal. I have chinchillas. I would release them if I could but they won't survive in the british country side so I can only try and take care of them to the best of my ability. I don't see them as pets like Jilli or the rats though. I see them as wild animals so I just have to manage them to the best of my ability.

I've also heard of people adopting parrots who kind of regret it later. The animals become an embarrasment but they just keep them anyway and try to manage them to the best of their ability. It can be a very difficult situation.

Because of the long lives of some of these animals the chances of being passed on to several owners and landing up in some rescue or other is very high.

do you really hate humans that much?

You can call it in anonymously to Child Protective Services......

Yeah, but if it is legal for them to have the snake, then there isn't much that CPS can do unless the child is actually injured. Sad, isn't it?

I have to agree with Jiro and Jillio that having wild animals for pets is a bad idea. Wild animas actually make horrible pets. A lot of these 'exotic' animals require a special diet that you can't get from a bag and are more expensive to feed. Not only that, not every veterinarian is going to be knowledgable enough about your exotic pet to be able to treat it in a time of illness and/or injury.

I wish there was a federal ban on exotic pets. Once a federal ban is put into place then there would be a less need for primate sanctuaries because fewer primates would be given to private owners as pets. This would also cut down on the availability of primates used in labratory testing.

Primates and certain reptiles should never be allowed as pets.

But this is going to be hard to implement because all animals have the instinct and ability to kill, its just that some animals can inflict more damage to kill than others.
and I wasn't saying that having wild animals for pet is a bad idea but simply by considering it as family member while largely ignoring its basic needs & respecting the nature.... tragic happens. I support mandatory exotic pet license but not federal ban. I only ask people to respect the animals and to never treat it like a family member.

Such as a Labrador may have the instinct to attack and maim, but as far as killing ability, very little as the Lab is not bred as a killing breed.

But on the other hand, look at the bull dogs, for centuries they were bred to kill large animals for hunting purposes and the 'lock jaw' commonly seen in pit breeds is from careful breeding over centuries of puppies and dogs that shared this common trait, therefore most pit bulls and pit breeds exhibit this lock jaw trait and ability to hold down large animals until the master arrived to kill the animal or to hold the animal until it stops breathing.

I dont like breed specific legislation either as 99% of the time, its not the dog's fault for having been taught to be aggressive - IE - raising pits for dogfighting. Most pits are very loyal and are actually a playful breed - traits that are shared by the Labrador.
just pointing out that lock jaw is a myth.

Dreama, you can't say all snake owners will expect the same results as your friend/acquaintance!!

You can call them aquantancies. They sure as hell werent friends. I think that people go on about the animal being dangerous but they ignore that the type of owners that generally go for reptiles. Although to be fair the people I knew were druggies.

But the fact that pet shops will sell to druggies is really wrong. There was this one pet shop owner who sold this person I knew a bearded dragon. He told her the bearded dragon was pregnant but it turned out he had gangerine. That was one hell of a curupt pet shop.

Yeah, but if it is legal for them to have the snake, then there isn't much that CPS can do unless the child is actually injured. Sad, isn't it?

True, however depending on one's locale--laws may be different.

Give it a try!

and I wasn't saying that having wild animals for pet is a bad idea but simply by considering it as family member while largely ignoring its basic needs & respecting the nature.... tragic happens. I support mandatory exotic pet license but not federal ban. I only ask people to respect the animals and to never treat it like a family member.

just pointing out that lock jaw is a myth.
Not a myth, Ive seen it. If you notice a pit breed's jaws are formed in a way that makes them extremely powerful.

It really sucks the chimp went berseck and had to be killed. :( Poor chimp.

You can call them aquantancies. They sure as hell werent friends. I think that people go on about the animal being dangerous but they ignore that the type of owners that generally go for reptiles. Although to be fair the people I knew were druggies.

But the fact that pet shops will sell to druggies is really wrong. There was this one pet shop owner who sold this person I knew a bearded dragon. He told her the bearded dragon was pregnant but it turned out he had gangerine. That was one hell of a curupt pet shop.

Pet shop owners can't demand a drug test from every prospective buyer! Talk about a violation of privacy and civil rights!:shock:

do you really hate humans that much?

I hate humans who mistreat their animals, mistreat their partners, and mistreat their children. Yes I do hate these kinds of humans.

Doesn't mean to say I hate all humans though. Just the dangerous ones. I'm just sick of people talking about dangerous animals when the animals are safer then their owners. Well some of them anyway.

Not a myth, Ive seen it. If you notice a pit breed's jaws are formed in a way that makes them extremely powerful.

it was proven as a myth though. X-RAYS dispelled the myth. It's just that they have strong muscle combined with high-power adrenaline & testosterone & stubbornness , that's all. Humans can perform the same "Superman-like" strength under this type of duress.

I hate humans who mistreat their animals, mistreat their partners, and mistreat their children. Yes I do hate these kinds of humans.

Doesn't mean to say I hate all humans though. Just the dangerous ones. I'm just sick of people talking about dangerous animals when the animals are safer then their owners. Well some of them anyway.

You really should do something to deal with all that hate before it kills you.

You really should do something to deal with all that hate before it kills you.

Not by hate is hate defeated. Hate is quenched by love. This is the eternal law.
Thai-Buddha-icon.gif

it was proven as a myth though. X-RAYS dispelled the myth. It's just that they have strong muscle combined with high-power adrenaline & testosterone & stubbornness , that's all. Humans can perform the same "Superman-like" strength under this type of duress.

Yep and that Chimp is ONLY 200 pounds and has lots of strengh than us.

Back