Tornado outbreak

True, but aren't they claiming the"Big One" is overdue? :shock:

That'll be taken care of. Wait till it gets hot, introduce a wee bit of the Polar Vortex to the jetstream, and viola! :|
Nowadays when it gets hot, I try not to worry about twisters destroying lives soon after.

That'll be taken care of. Wait till it gets hot, introduce a wee bit of the Polar Vortex to the jetstream, and viola! :|
Nowadays when it gets hot, I try not to worry about twisters destroying lives soon after.

Only question is, if it happens, where? They say Dallas is a possible location, as is Chicago. If I see a mile-wide twister in my city, I know all h*** is about to break loose.

Last year I think tornadoes appeared in Europe, something unheard of.

Last year I think tornadoes appeared in Europe, something unheard of.

Not quite. They have appeared in London and Paris before, but they're a rarity in England. Tornadoes are most commonly found here in the United States, which gets on average of 1,0000 tornadoes a year.

Not quite. They have appeared in London and Paris before, but they're a rarity in England.

From domestic to international: Tornadoes around the world | United States Tornadoes

Check out this quote

The United Kingdom is believed to lead the pack in non-Russia Europe, with over 30 tornadoes per year, again largely of the weak variety.

Plus there is this image, note how many "rare" tornadoes are in england:

tors_since2000.png

Even Australia can get tornados. Those of living in Tornado Alley are used to tornadoes. I can't think of a year that hasn't gone by that my county hasn't been under a watch or warning...

tornado is a tornado is a tornado. Violent or not.

Any tornado has the potential for destruction or to become worse. I wouldn't discount the ones in the UK at all.

Well, I certainly hope they wash their hands and cover their mouths when they sneeze.

Are tornadoes more violent or is it just a case of more people/buildings in areas that are prone to tornadoes? And more news coverage making it sound like more?

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Are tornadoes more violent or is it just a case of more people/buildings in areas that are prone to tornadoes? And more news coverage making it sound like more?

Think of it this way-- since the Greensburg, KS EF5 tornado in 2007, several other EF5 tornadoes have popped up, particularly in Joplin, MO, and Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Several have been rated EF4, and my state itself has had three of these in less than 5 years, and it's only a matter of time before an EF5 hits Illinois, and the only question is, where? The last F5 tornado to hit IL slammed into Plainfield, IL, and killed 29 people because there wasn't ample warning for it.

One item to take into account is the size of UK vs the USA. Here's a link that says England is the size of ONE state, Alabama:

England and Alabama

Those "only" 30 tornadoes don't seem so small now when you take into account the size of the landmass. USA by comparison is about 9,826,630 square km ( Comparison of the UK with USA )

If you divide USA land mass by UK landmass ( 9,826,630 / 244,110 ) you get approximately 40.26 so that means you can fit about 40.26 UK's in USA. So if you take the 30 tornadoes per year and multiply by 40.26 you get 1,207.8 tornadoes

So by proportion of the landmass the UK actually gets proportionally MORE tornadoes per year than USA.

I live in middle Tennessee. In May of 1995 when we had a tornado, I was at the mall buying some new clothes, since I had a baby that March. As I was walking through the mall I saw some birds fly right by me. I was thinking, why are there birds flying in the mall? Next I saw leaves and felt the wind. Someone came on the mall intercom and said for all shoppers to go to the food court. I thought, Hell no! Because the food court has a glass dome ceiling. I went in a bathroom instead. When I left the mall,it looked like a movie set. Cars flipped over,etc. on the highway you could see how the tornado zigzagged across the highway. Second tornado was in April 2006. I was at the hospital getting a test done for my heart,where they shoot dye in your arm and run you through a machine. The next thing I know, is that the whole office staff, except for one nurse,was hysterical,crying,not telling people where to go. My nurse took charge and we had to sit in the hospital basement for an hour. I still had the IV in my arm and finally removed it myself. My kids were trapped at school,because buses couldn't get pass the debris. Cars couldn't get to school either because of debris. My kids bus got home at like 6:00 that night. All cell phones didn't work. I was scared to death about my kids. Some kids at some schools had to sleep at the school until the next day. One last tornado story, in 1999 a tornado hit my city. My family was in the closet hiding, and my husband wanted to drive us somewhere safer. Dumbest idea ever! We go to the car,get in it,and hubby realizes he has the wrong keys. So we get in the other car. He couldn't see,so I had to stick my head out the window to tell him where the road was. We turned around and came right back home after about 2 minutes. My daughters school was closed for a week in 1999 because of that tornado.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between being prepared and being obsessed. You can't live in fear and dwell on what "might" happen.

I posted this before BeckiGreens post.....WOW scary stuff. Be safe!!!!

I think it is a great big combination. There may be records of more but why? Are there really more or is there more reporting and thus more checking for amount and type of damage? Population growth and location is probably also a factor. How the TV stations handle it — reporting those further away for instance — also seems to me to be a factor.

I know people will laugh about my husband wanting to out drive a tornado,and I don't blame anyone if they do. My husband is probably the most calm person on the planet. We have been together since 1989, and he has yelled at me 3 times in all those years. I know it has only been 3 times he has yelled at me because I laughed when he yelled at me,because I didn't know he could raise his voice so loud. Anyway, my husband flies airplanes, likes roller coasters and thrill type stuff. I guess the moral of the story with my husband is, you don't know what you will do in a situation unless it happens to you. People always say, I would do this if this ever happened to me,but until whatever happens to you,you don't know what you will do.

There is a huge difference between being prepared and being obsessed. You can't live in fear and dwell on what "might" happen.

I posted this before BeckiGreens post.....WOW scary stuff. Be safe!!!!

Thanks, Angel1989! I'm not scared of tornados,even after going through all that. I have a big closet under the stairs of the home we live in now. It's full of blankets, a radio,flashlight and stuff like that. My kids are still terrified of tornados. The one in 1999, and my oldest daughter was in first grade in 1999 and remembers it vividly. My little one was 4 in 1999, and she can remember us running to the car.

I live in middle Tennessee. In May of 1995 when we had a tornado, I was at the mall buying some new clothes, since I had a baby that March. As I was walking through the mall I saw some birds fly right by me. I was thinking, why are there birds flying in the mall? Next I saw leaves and felt the wind. Someone came on the mall intercom and said for all shoppers to go to the food court. I thought, Hell no! Because the food court has a glass dome ceiling. I went in a bathroom instead. When I left the mall,it looked like a movie set. Cars flipped over,etc. on the highway you could see how the tornado zigzagged across the highway. Second tornado was in April 2006. I was at the hospital getting a test done for my heart,where they shoot dye in your arm and run you through a machine. The next thing I know, is that the whole office staff, except for one nurse,was hysterical,crying,not telling people where to go. My nurse took charge and we had to sit in the hospital basement for an hour. I still had the IV in my arm and finally removed it myself. My kids were trapped at school,because buses couldn't get pass the debris. Cars couldn't get to school either because of debris. My kids bus got home at like 6:00 that night. All cell phones didn't work. I was scared to death about my kids. Some kids at some schools had to sleep at the school until the next day. One last tornado story, in 1999 a tornado hit my city. My family was in the closet hiding, and my husband wanted to drive us somewhere safer. Dumbest idea ever! We go to the car,get in it,and hubby realizes he has the wrong keys. So we get in the other car. He couldn't see,so I had to stick my head out the window to tell him where the road was. We turned around and came right back home after about 2 minutes. My daughters school was closed for a week in 1999 because of that tornado.

My mom knows how you feel. In September 1995, a large tornado touched down near Lincoln School, and this happened just before school let out, so we took cover, and that tornado stayed on the ground for over an hour (no damage was done; it just sat there), and after it dissapaited, the school district wanted tomake sure it would not return, and it didn't. I didn't get home until 6:30 PM that night.

My mom knows how you feel. In September 1995, a large tornado touched down near Lincoln School, and this happened just before school let out, so we took cover, and that tornado stayed on the ground for over an hour (no damage was done; it just sat there), and after it dissapaited, the school district wanted tomake sure it would not return, and it didn't. I didn't get home until 6:30 PM that night.

Yes, it was the worse feeling. Not knowing where you kid is,when they will be home. I was desperate and tried to drive to the school,but power lines were down everywhere, and the cops had road blocks up and were making people turn around. Even though I was sure my daughter was on the bus, I was scared about the bus wrecking because of debris, or a power line falling on the bus. I'm so glad you were not hurt that day!

Back