Torn - subtitled and a bit of faux pas signing

Hmmmm. The name "Deaf Karaoke" is lame. Whether a hearing person would find the humor funny or not would depend a lot on how the hearing person feels about the basic concept which is "I can get away with miming and gesturing things that would get me tossed out of here for obscenity if I said them."

I find parts of it funny but the humor is never more than one step above potty humor. It never approaches the subtly of Keith Wann's humor.

One thing I find of interest is that parts of the skit does follow one axiom of translating English to ASL: Keep to the meaning, not the words. The song itself is not funny and some of the miming lays bare its more vulgar meanings. Why this is funny to many I am not sure.

Fact: I have shown some of Keith Wann's videos to hearing people who have no knowledge of ASL -- And most of them find him hilarious and encourages them to at least think about learning a few signs.

Not hilarious to the extent that most hearing audience would be able to understand David Armand's comedy mime act with the music and not Wann's. Armand's is replete with visual mime sight gags and expression. Not much "potty" humor but how he expresses those gestures or "signs," if you will.

I thought it was funny when I first saw it when it was presented as "miming." I didn't find it funny anymore after hearies started calling it "deaf man interpreting song" and so on...

Where did you see that? You have a link?

so do you find this funny or not?

[video making fun of Marlee Matlin's L-Word character]

To be fair, Koko's video was not intentionally making fun of Deaf people, nor was it intending to, though I think the title is messed up, and arguing against that is pointless.

But this video here is another animal. Completely messed up. No different than common schoolyard bullying, and that skank, whoever she is, should be seriously reprimanded. What's terrible is how everyone on the show thinks it's funny and then they start clapping at the end. Idiots.

Here's the point though, Koko: there's a very, very thin line between the humor in these two videos. All the the comedian in the first video had to do to step over that line was make one move, like use a "deaf voice" or pretend he couldn't hear, or something similar. So don't play dumb and wonder why you're getting some of these reactions from DEAF people on this DEAF board. You knew damn well that it would ruffle some feathers. Based on some of the threads you've started in the past, I'd almost guess that you posted it for that very reason (anyone remember the "Do you cherish the gift of hearing" thread he started a couple months back?), but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time.

I thought it was funny when I first saw it when it was presented as "miming." I didn't find it funny anymore after hearies started calling it "deaf man interpreting song" and so on...

To me, a whole video clip is pretty funny, even I chuckled for a while time. Maybe I see differently.

To be fair, Koko's video was not intentionally making fun of Deaf people, nor was it intending to, though I think the title is messed up, and arguing against that is pointless.

But this video here is another animal. Completely messed up. No different than common schoolyard bullying, and that skank, whoever she is, should be seriously reprimanded. What's terrible is how everyone on the show thinks it's funny and then they start clapping at the end. Idiots.

Here's the point though, Koko: there's a very, very thin line between the humor in these two videos. All the the comedian in the first video had to do to step over that line was make one move, like use a "deaf voice" or pretend he couldn't hear, or something similar. So don't play dumb and wonder why you're getting some of these reactions from DEAF people on this DEAF board. You knew damn well that it would ruffle some feathers. Based on some of the threads you've started in the past, I'd almost guess that you posted it for that very reason (anyone remember the "Do you cherish the gift of hearing" thread he started a couple months back?), but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time.

Marlee Matlin did say "Lighten up."
Marlee Matlin on 'Family Guy' gag: 'Lighten up, people' | EW.com

To me, a whole video clip is pretty funny, even I chuckled for a while time. Maybe I see differently.

Right. Like I said, I found it funny when it was presented in its original context. However when it was taken out of context in the process of re-distributing on the Internet via different Facebook groups... it wasn't funny anymore.

So, it's not the video that is the problem. It was how people presented it to others online.

To me that is different. She herself is doing it, not some idiot. I did not see this Family Guy episode, but this is a different scenario than what this Heather chick did.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfseAuLjOOQ]YouTube - Marlee Matlin[/ame]

I don't know what they're saying but from what I see - Marlee's passing by Dewey and talking.

How is it not different, EM903? MM was a participant in that comedy skit.

Last edited:
How is it not different? MM was a participant in this comedy skit.

right... which is completely irrelevant to this thread. A more relevant material is Heather McDonald making fun of Marlee Matlin. Your "Torn" video is no different from Heather McDonald.

How is it not different? MM was a participant in this comedy skit.

MM is not a participant in the "Torn" video. You're misunderstanding line of reasoning. Aside from that, Heather may have used a deaf voice but she speaks as if Marlee doesn't know simple English.

I'm finished with this thread... Koko I suggest that you read questions further and try not to be obtuse on purpose. :wave:

Your "Torn" video is no different from Heather McDonald.

I disagree, Jiro, but not by much. The thing to pay attention to here, as Souggy pointed out, is the reaction that the Torn video garnered once it went viral. THAT reaction by the hearing community was no different than the reaction people had to Heather McDonald's little skit. But I think the intentions in each video were quite different.

I disagree, Jiro, but not by much. The thing to pay attention to here, as Souggy pointed out, is the reaction that the Torn video garnered once it went viral. THAT reaction by the hearing community was no different than the reaction people had to Heather McDonald's little skit. But I think the intentions in each video were quite different.

perhaps! perhaps not! :hmm:

I'm referring to the Family guy skit. MM was a participant. Note that it was a comedy *skit.* Both Heather, MM, and others were all involved. MM was not some unwitting participant. She knew what was going on.

2i774ac.jpg

Back